Child's Christmas artwork (a curcifix) deemed 'violent'

Massachusetts 2nd grader suspended over drawing of Jesus

I can not even post the comments that come to my mind over this, especially in light of the 'issue.'

tauntongazette.com/news/x1903566059/Taunton-second-grader-suspended-over-drawing-of-Jesus

sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=31821&forum=48&2

If people don’t rise up soon in a signifigant way against this kind of thing, we may well find Christianity an outlaw religion in 50 years

[quote="irish_catholic, post:22, topic:179811"]
if people don't rise up soon in a signifigant way against this kind of thing, we may well find christianity an outlaw religion in 50 years

[/quote]

amen !

Perhaps those school officials think Michaelangelo and DaVinci should undergo psychological evaluations too.

%between%

It's funny how the schools will suspend a kid for drawing a picture of Jesus on the cross, but you hardly ever hear of chronic bullies getting suspended.

horrid... i hope they sue over this one

that is ridiculous

I hope there is more to the story

Why did the teacher ask for a Christmas picture? Why not a Holiday picture?

Never-the-less, It is a little odd that the boy connected Christmas with the Crucifix and not the Nativity.:shrug:

Aren't public schools great? We really need to destroy the entire system.

Not just because of this, of course. This is typical.

[quote="gilliam, post:28, topic:179811"]
I hope there is more to the story

[/quote]

there is.

the boy wasn't suspended. he was referred for evaluation because he inscribed his own name over the drawing, not Jesus'. I hope that if my son were to do the same thing, the teacher would intervene also.

everyone needs to take a deep breath, and actually read the article.

I wouldn’t give a bean to be a fancy pants Marine,
I’d rather be a dogface Soldier like I am
I wouldn’t trade my old ODs for all the navy’s dungarees,
For I’m the walking pride of Uncle Sam.

On Army posters that I see it says be all that you can.
So there tearing me down to build me over again.
I’m just a dog faced soldier with a rifle on my shoulder.
I eat raw meat for breakfast everyday

So feed me ammunition, keep me in the 3rd Division.
Your dogfaced Soldier’s A O K!

2 years of singing the same song before PT makes a permanent impression :).

Amazing that the 8yr old connected baby Jesus to the Cross, what's more amazing,the teacher did'nt.

Peace and God Bless All
onenow1:)

[quote="richard_wang, post:1, topic:179811"]
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w16/rnw1964/1442817.jpg

Tuesday, 15 December 2009

Taunton (AP/WBZ Newsroom) -- A Taunton man says his 8-year-old son was sent home from school and ordered to undergo a psychological evaluation after drawing a stick figure Jesus on a cross.

The man told the Taunton Daily Gazette his second-grader made the drawing after his teacher asked children to sketch something that reminded them of Christmas. He said the teacher at Maxham Elementary School thought the drawing was too violent.

The father, who asked that his name not be used, said the family had recently seen a Christmas display at a religious shrine.

Superintendent Julie Hackett said she could not discuss an individual student and the school followed proper protocol.

Toni Saunders, an educational consultant working with the family, said the teacher was alarmed because the boy drew Xs in the eyes of Jesus.

wbz.com/Child-s-Christmas-artwork-deemed--violent------SOU/5896962

The religious shrine mentioned in the article was The National Shrine of Our Lady of La Salette.

[/quote]

[quote="Dogface_Soldier, post:31, topic:179811"]
there is.

the boy wasn't suspended. he was referred for evaluation because he inscribed his own name over the drawing, not Jesus'. I hope that if my son were to do the same thing, the teacher would intervene also.

[/quote]

This is the picture....a teacher needs to send for a psychological evaluation for this picture?

He’s a kid for Pete’s sake.

What’s odd is that we have such MORONS working in a public school.

how long are we gonna let this happened?

examiner.com/x-21818-Virginia-Beach-Conservative-Examiner~y2009m12d16-Second-grader-suspended-for-drawing-crucifix

:mad:

There may (or may not be) more to the story. The superintendent is denying that 1. the child was suspended 2. that the drawing was of Jesus/crucifixion 3. that religion has anything to do with whatever incident happened.

Someone is not right but there are not enough details to figure out what's going on....

youtube.com/watch?v=OLDedlnvdDk&feature=player_embedded

I guess we just have to wait for more information on this one

Taunton (Mass.) Gazette:

Taunton second-grader suspended over drawing of Jesus

**Father angered by forced psychological evaluation of boy, 8**

A Taunton father is outraged after his 8-year-old son was sent home from school and required to undergo a psychological evaluation after drawing a stick-figure picture of Jesus Christ on the cross.

The father said he got a call earlier this month from Maxham Elementary School informing him that his son, a second-grade student, had created a violent drawing. The image in question depicted a crucified Jesus with Xs covering his eyes to signify that he had died on the cross. The boy wrote his name above the cross.

The student drew the picture shortly after taking a family trip to see the Christmas display at the National Shrine of Our Lady of La Salette, a Christian retreat site in Attleboro. He made the drawing in class after his teacher asked the children to sketch something that reminded them of Christmas, the father said.

[sigh]

Here is the “violent” in question that caused the school to trigger its “safety protocols” and call in the shrinks:

http://www.tauntongazette.com/archive/x1903566028/g11300067880f4ba02507a12123364b35505f2dee07ba03.jpg

Certainly I wouldn’t put it on a Christmas card but, “out of the mouths of babes”, the whole reason for the Nativity was Good Friday.

[quote="Dogface_Soldier, post:31, topic:179811"]
there is.

[/quote]

Actually he was pulled from the classroom and barred from returning to school until he underwent evaulation to see if it was SAFE for him to return. Had he been suspended the parents would have been called before action like this was taken.

As for putting his name on the paper - aren't kids supposed to do that?

Reading the article in detail actually puts the school in worse light.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.