China and Russia deepen economic ties

Russian President Vladimir Putin and Chinese President Xi Jinping signed the gas-supply agreement in Beijing the day before U.S. President Barack Obama arrived in the Chinese capital for the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation summit.
finance.yahoo.com/news/russia-china-add-400-billion-035526591.html;_ylt=A0SO8y_vVWBUCu8A5xRXNyoA
news.yahoo.com/xi-putin-harvest-fruits-deepening-ties-195816544.html;_ylt=A0SO8y_vVWBUCu8A6RRXNyoA
It looks like China knows how to have good economic relations with both Russia and the USA.

There is no reason why we can’t all trade with each other.

Maybe it is time America stopped banning imports from Cuba.

There seems to be a lot of gas and oil around, 20 years ago we were told it would have almost run out by now.

:o

I guess China needs gas and Russia needs to sell gas. And I am confident they will both live up to the agreement until one of them doesn’t want to. Nothing much in all of this.

Maybe it is time Cuba ended its cruel repression of its citizens. Perhaps then America would be more inclined to buy Cuban products.

Yet American buys products from how many other repressive regimes? The biggest and most obvious example is China. Do you know know the Chinese government treats the Catholic Church (to use just one example)?

There seems to be a lot of gas and oil around, 20 years ago we were told it would have almost run out by now.

A lot of those individuals have an agenda, like getting Al Gore rich.

Do not assume that I favor the current trade status with China. It was not my idea to give China “most favored nation” status. That was Bill Clinton’s decision, not mine. Unfortunately, once that happens, it’s hard to go back.

[quote="tomdstone]It looks like China knows how to have good economic relations with both Russia and the USA.
[/quote]

This is really a no-brainer for both countries, and the fact that this type of agreement hasn’t happened until this year is evidence of poor leadership primarily on the Russian side. For the Chinese, natural gas is a critical resource for their future, for the Russians it’s just an expansion of an already large industry, so different factions on that side presumably were vying for a bigger piece of the pie, making it difficult for negotiators to settle on terms with the Chinese.

It was actually Jimmy Carter’s decision in 1979. It was then renewed each year under Reagan, Bush, and Clinton, until Congress made it permanent in 2000.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.