China Just Announced A Smart Education Reform That Would Never Pass In The US

articles.businessinsider.com/2011-11-22/news/30427505_1_employment-outlook-liberal-arts-majors-college-majors

interesting…here in the US we have people who want the government to pay for those majors

Interesting about the difficulty of Chinese college graduates to find work. I have a Chinese friend whos son studied for awhile in the US that has decided to try and find work in the US instead of moving home. I know from talking with him that he likes America, but mentioned he feels more at home in China. So his decision to try and stay for work surprised me. Maybe a lack of employment opportunities in China explains why he is looking here. I’m guessing it is.

Saw another bad ideas for college students here in the US. the Occupy movement is now trying to get a million students to default on their debt. It would be frustrating to have debt with a college degree that pays little. Might be best if the US government got out of subsidizing student loans. New students would be more prudent on how they spent their money for education most likely.

“Occupy Brain Dead College Students”

news.investors.com/Article/592877/201111251803/Occupy-Wall-Street-campaign-to-default-on-student-debt.htm

Chinese graduates who can’t find work, aren’t engineering or marketing students, but probably students that earned degrees in fields where there is no employment. l

A Chinese engineer who works for 2 years here in the USA, doubles his employment income when he returns home.

The company I was previously employed with, had a problem with Chinese engineers coming over to work for a couple years, only to return home and leave for a higher paying job in China.

Jim

What? Oh my! No more degrees in underwater basket weaving? How’s a lazy bum supposed to get ahead?

As a professor, I can say that while this sounds like a good idea at first, it would probably end up being a disaster. Sure, there are plenty of majors that can’t place 60% of their graduates. So, if you phase out the major, that will reduce the supply for a while and equal things out. HOWEVER… a decade or two down the road when the people with that major who ARE working retire or leave their job, there will be no one with teaching skills left to train them, and then you backslide even further. The solution isn’t to eliminate the major entirely, it’s to be far more discriminate in how many people you allow into your program. Some kind of a quota system would be far better.

Besides the obvious glut of “employable” majors that will soon be oversupplied because of market pressures (not unlike males who can’t find brides…), and thus drive down salaries in that sector, there is something else to consider entirely.

Is the purpose of college to be education or job training? Because if it is merely job training, an employer could do that much more efficiently and cheaply through a corporate training program. Hire who you want, train them in the classroom and on the job which pays for their living expenses, and then indenture them for a certain number of years (oh yeah, this sounds like the good old apprentice days). But then, that would actually mean remaining loyal to your employees.

If it’s a creative, communicative work force that you want, all the technical skill in the world will not deliver something innovative. And frankly, that is what an arts education does: helps the person develop ways of relating to others, communicating ideas, and solving problems that don’t exist right now.

Don’t believe me? Who are the two most famous technical college wash-outs…Gates and Jobs? And are either of them Chinese? Didn’t think so. How about Mark Zuckerman of Facebook? Nope, not him either.

This works for a handful of guys who had the right combination of business acumen and technical know how and had the contacts to make things work. It also works in specific fields such as home computing/internet businesses. You won’t find a nursing drop out becoming a head of department of a neurosurgery division. You won’t find a drop out becoming a designer at NASA JPL. But a drop out with the right skills, contacts, and enough know how, could open up his own robotics company and end up employing MIT graduates. He won’t be doing the design though. But most people can’t do that. You can’t have 200 Facebooks, or 200 alternative to Windows or Apple Mac and expect the market share and volume to remain the same.

This confuses me. China has had a one child policy for a long time. Shouldn’t there be work for the few who managed to be born?

…Have you seen China’s population?

No, but I live in India.

I don’t know much about Zuckerman, but describing Gates and Jobs as “technical college wash-outs” is highly inaccurate. Gates went to Harvard, left to go to work and started a business shortly thereafter. Most of his time there was spent in the computer lab. The software development he was working on with others was beyond classroom instruction. The guy didn’t need to complete college to get a job, but he was hardly a “wash-out.”

Jobs went to a liberal arts college (not a technical college) and dropped out because he thought it was a waste of his parents’ money. He then delved into Eastern Mysticism, became a fruitarian and stopped showering for a while.

They are two very different experiences, and both became wildly successful. I’m not sure how you can come to conclusions about the best degree path for others though. Do you tell your kids to take the Gates path - be a brilliant engineer who doesn’t need college? Or, do you recommend the Jobs path - college is a waste of money, so go “find yourself,” do drugs, and I’m sure you’ll find inspiration somewhere? :stuck_out_tongue:

What China is doing, is getting rid of useless degree programs.

If you listen to many of the OWS protesters, they complain about having huge college loans to pay for, but can’t find work.

When they’re asked what their degree is in, it’s often in something that had no chance of providing employment, even in a robust economy.

I blame colleges and universities for offering under-grad programs in useless areas.

It seems that the Chinese government is just becoming pro-active that their colleges don’t graduate students like ours.

Jim

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.