China rights 'worsen with Games'

The human rights situation in China has deteriorated in the run-up to its hosting of the Olympic Games this year, Amnesty International says.

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7529453.stm

I find it really disturbing that China would put athletic success over human dignity. I’m glad my grandmother ran away from China at an early age.

More reason to put the TV rating for this farce into the tank. I, for one, will not be watching.

I am not planning to watch the Olympics this year for three reasons:

First, the findings of the article do not surprise me. I think China should never have been selected by the IOC.

Second, the IOC is refusing to allow Iraqi athletes compete for petty reasons. Personally, and they will not be able to convince me otherwise, it is really a slap in the face the USA for liberating Iraq.

Third, the smog in Beijing. This causes two problems. The smog is so thick, visibility on a clear day is only a couple of miles. I think we will get better pictures from Google Earth and orbiting satellites than the cameras on the ground. Next, I am not interested in watching Olympic caliber athletes collapse with smog induced lung ailments. I suspect we will see few, if any, world records set at these games.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.