China’s Dog Meat Festival Is Again at Hand, and Opponents Are Lining Up

nytimes.com/2016/06/10/world/asia/china-yulin-dog-meat-festival.html?_r=0

**BEIJING — Two weeks before the annual dog meat festival in the southern Chinese city of Yulin, an international coalition of animal welfare advocates is stepping up pressure on the Chinese government to shut it down.

A petition with more than 11 million signatures was presented to the Chinese Embassy in London on Tuesday, according to Humane Society International, one of the organizations behind the campaign.**

The article continues at the link.

Oh Lord,
So many prayer requests for so many valid needs. Though we are hungry, you feed us. If someone could only have this before them for sustinence, let it be. But to kill sweet, domesticated animals for enjoyment, place a burden on the hearts of those who kill these animals and those who eat these animals that give us such love, to love these animals such as we do. Let them see the spirit of love in these animals eyes. Angels hold their hands when they start the killing.
in Christ’s love,
Tweedlealice

Well said! :slight_smile: There’s not a more loving creature under the sun, in my estimation.

Good news is that dog eating is now being viewed with increasing disfavor in Asia. I hope this trend continues.

I don’t any problem ineating the dog’s meat. It would be immoral to kill and eat your own faithful dog, but these dogs, as I understand, are specially raised for slaughTering.

All those “animal rights” advocates are almost like animal worshippers, who have no trouble with abortion.

From the Article

animal welfare advocates have raised questions about the sources of the dogs, charging that many are stolen pets.

Is there proof of this or is this just a claim to tug at peoples heart stings to gain support?

No it isn’t just a claim.

It happens all the time. How do I know? I’ve lived in that region of the world. I know people who have had their pets stolen. These pets are quite trusting of people and have no reason to distrust since they were brought with kindness by their owners. It is easy to kidnap them.

Now if they were quickly killed and then cooked and eaten than that would be a small comfort. But no they are tortured to death the belief being that the meat is more delicious when the animal has suffered horribly. This type of thinking is vile. :mad:

Nothing raises my anger more than torture of human and animal and the people who derive pleasure from torture. This people are demonic.

Prove it.

You seem to be unwilling to believe that people are capable of the greatest cruelty. People in Asia do not have the sentimental attachments to dog like Westerners. They regard dogs like Westerners regard cattle and everyone knows how veal is produced.

I do not go by Internet articles although there are a lot out there. I go by personal experience.

I actually have talked to people who have done this. It’s a well known fact in East and Southeast Asia that tortured dogs have the most delicious meat. I should know. I have spent my childhood in that part of the world. I also have had relatives and neighbors who have had their dogs stolen.

This is my personal experience. Take it or leave it.

Why would you assume a person opposed to eating dogs is pro-abortion?

People are generally opposed to it because it’s barbaric, period.

Some vegetarians are pro-choice, some aren’t; some are Catholic and some aren’t.

I signed the petition to stop it.

I feel sorry for those people involved, they must lack compassion, I would definitely not want any of these people around anyone I care about.

You paint with a brush a mile wide.

I am an animal rights advocate and I am pro-life. I do not suffer under the delusion that animals = people but I advocate that animals as well as people should be protected from cruelty.

NOPE, people in Asia who have dogs as pets are just as fond of them as pet owners in the USA. They don’t eat their pets. Even in the US farmers don’t eat farm animals they’ve domesticated.

Some of those pets are quite expensive breeds, perhaps they were dog napped.

I actually have talked to people who have done this. It’s a well known fact in East and Southeast Asia that tortured dogs have the most delicious meat. I should know. I have spent my childhood in that part of the world. I also have had relatives and neighbors who have had their dogs stolen.

The perception is that if the muscles are flooded with adrenaline, it’s tastier. It’s more of a scare before death than torture.

Sorry if I was unclear. Dogs as pets are a relatively new phenomenon in Asia. I do not doubt the attachment between pets and owners is just as strong in Asia as in the West.

You are right. Some dogs that are eaten are farmed and some are dognapped.

The United States doesn’t have to deal with people eating dogs, but we do have to deal with another horror, namely bunchers.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.