China, the Olympics and Human Rights

Are we repeating the mistakes of history? David Kilgour, a Canadian human rights champion, addresses Chinese repression in a speech in the UK. Note the alarming parallel to the rising Third Reich and their exploitation of the Olympics.

[sign]Dr. Sev Ozdowski, the former Australian Human Rights Commissioner who was raised in Poland, recently noted that the Third Reich used the 1936 Berlbp2.blogger.com/_I-pflVBjNXU/R9r41GPuAXI/AAAAAAAABIQ/-FhZa0tpm1s/s200/David+Nazi2.jpgin Olympics for similar purposes. He adds that in 1936 Hitler’s dictatorship was already well established, including political executions without trial and the racist Nuremberg Laws of September 1935, which removed all civil liberties from German Jews. Despite many such omens of what was yet to come, Ozdowski notes correctly, “the Western democracies decided to overlook these developments in the name of unity of Olympic spirit.”

[LEFT]In 2006, the most recent year for which figures are available, there were more than twice as many arrests in China as the previous year for the ‘offence of endangering state security’. The number jumped to 604 arrests in 2006 from 296 in 2005.[/LEFT]

[/sign]
humanlifematters.blogspot.com/

I, for one, will not be watching the farce. In fact, I think there should be a concerted effort to punish via boycotts of any sponsor, broadcaster, and athlete who participates in the event.

I know it sounds harsh and I know I will be flamed (being called “un-Christian” and “un-Catholic”) by some on this board, but it is the way it is.

I believe in dialogue with those who do not share our political views.
However, I will refuse to watch the propaganda China will be spewing during the Olympics.
It will be crowing how great a society they have. They have already moved “undesirables” out of Beijing. Those who could cause real trouble are languishing in prison, who is boycotting the Olympics for them? Will the networks air their story? Will they tell of repression and oppression of the Catholic faith?
No, so why watch?

Looks like the IOC is getting scared:

IOC: Don’t Boycott Olympics Over Tibet

BASSETERRE, St. Kitts (AP) - International Olympic Committee President Jacques Rogge poured cold water Saturday on calls for a boycott of the Summer Games in Beijing over China’s crackdown in Tibet, saying it would only penalize athletes.

“We believe that the boycott doesn’t solve anything,” Rogge told reporters on this Caribbean island. “On the contrary. It is penalizing innocent athletes and it is stopping the organization from something that definitely is worthwhile organizing.”

Link

To: Jacques Rogge; President, International Olympic Committee

Guess what, I do not care. I am boycotting anyway. If it “penalize”'s the athletes, tough. Trying to gloss over China’s crimes is not going to solve anything. It is 1936 all over again you just cannot see it. :mad:

The history of the modern Olympics is shot through with bribery and corruption. Why should we watch any of it, no matter where it’s held?

Vern is right about this. Just look at the Salt Lake City bribery fiasco. And I remember when the summer Olympics were held in
Atlanta, the city officials did a sweep to remove the homeless, the prostitutes, and other “undesireables”. So it’s not just the Chinese that attempt to hide ugly realities. :frowning:

Just remember, the athletes are not part of the corruption.

I agree that China should never have been awarded the Olympics. But our U.S.A. athletes deserve our cheers.

And let’s all hope that the 2016 Olympics are awarded to Chicago–my kind of town!

When you consider the widespread (and illegal) use of “performance-enhancing” drugs, and the numbers of atheletes caught using them, I wonder if that’s true.:frowning:

For somebody from Michigan I have to say your right on this one. :thumbsup:

Originally from W. PA

Now back to the topic at hand. China is doing everything in its power to whitewash their crimes. 20 years ago, they may of been able to accomplish that, but in the internet age, that is impossible. Tibet is only the latest in their series of crimes.

The IOC is complicit in these crimes and needs to held accountable. The boycott is one way of doing this.

Agreed. My family will also not watch this year.

I cannot figure out how in the world China was awarded the Olympics. I live in Utah and, yes, there was that bribery fiasco. However, we ended up putting on a great Olympics. I know that doesn’t excuse what happened but it’s in the past. I simply cannot understand with China’s past how the IOC could decide they deserved to host the Olympics.

Maggie

It is because China is a Marxist Regime and the IOC is made up of similar elements.

I wonder if we’re still thinking that China should be punished every time we walk into a Wal-Mart? Is it possible to send a message to China and wear cheap underwear at the same time?

walmartwatch.com/img/blog/wmt_china_edelman_boggs.pdf

The best most of us can do is to “try” to find things made in the free world. Now that being said even if we sew our own clothing the cloth comes from China in most cases. We can’t blame China for this fact we sold them most of the equipment when the USA closed down their own mills and factories.

On the other hand the Olympics will be off limits for our family this year due to the human rights and freedom of religion issues we are aware of.

I would say the same way Germany was awarded the Olympics in 1936 except I don’t think the Nazis were in power yet when Germany was awarded the 1936 Olympics.

On the other hand, the Chinese government has been in power since the late 1940’s, so they know what China’s record is. :mad:

The Nazis were indeed in power in '36. The 1936 Olympics were a Nazi propaganda showpiece. The 5-ring symbol of the Olympics is a Nazi invention – a team went to Olympia and carved it there in stone to make it look ancient.

I know the Nazis were in power in 1936, but since the site for the Olympics are chosen a few years in advance, I don’t know if Berlin was chosen before the Nazis came to power.

The Olympic rings were designed in 1913 by Baron Pierre de Coubertin, the founder of the modern Olympic Games. The rings were carved in stone in 1936 by order of Carl Diem as part of a public Olympic ceremony. It wasn’t until the 1950s that the myth of the supposed ancient origin of the Olympic rings was spread due to an amateurish mistake made by two British authors. The Nazis did not invent the ring, nor were they the origin of the symbol’s supposed ancient origins.

– Mark L. Chance.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.