CHINA - UNITED STATES - A disappointing Mrs. Obama in Beijing "deliberately ignored egregious women's rights abuses" [AN]

Reggie Littlejohn, president of Women’s Rights Without Frontiers, criticises the First Lady’s visit to China. “As the mother of two daughters, she could have taken aim” at “the intense suffering of hundreds of millions of women who have been victims of forced abortion, [and] involuntary sterilization”. And “As the wife of a Nobel Peace Prize winner, she could have visited Liu Xia, wife of jailed 2010 Nobel Peace Prize winner Liu Xiaobo.” Instead, she chose to enjoy the trip and do nothing.

More…

I can’t stand the Obama all they do is spend our money and golf but seriously even if she did do something they would criticize her anyways. You can’t please everyone!

Maybe, but I doubt it. If she had spoken out, I think even the conservative media would have praised it. Certainly the liberal media would have.

Considering Obama is the most pro abort occupier of the White House ever,why is this surprising?
She probably doesn’t think forced abortion is wrong!:frowning:

So negative.

I mean, how much can she do? She has her daughters and her mother with her as they are on vacation from school and it’s meant to be a “family trip”.
And the White House made it very clear beforehand that on this specific visit Mrs. Obama would not dive into the nitty-gritty human rights or political abuses.
Hillary Clinton caused a lot of bad blood when she did and this time, they are trying to reach out first for a “softer” diplomacy. Both Clinton and Laura Bush’s words on any topic like that were blackened out of the news there.

But she didn’t do “nothing”.

She spoke at a high school and at Peking university about minority rights and religious freedom and freedom of speech…she met with a blind man during a round-table discussion at the American Embassy in Beijing to talk about helping those with disabilities and the importance of education.
She’s going to make a non-verbal but very obvious political statement by visiting a Tibetan restaurant to show support for the religious liberties of the Tibetans there. And more.

She’s easing in the political messages. She’s trying to gain their trust first and then she’ll go deeper.
Often, that is a more effective way.

This is an example of why “pro-abortion” can’t be used in place of “pro-choice”. To someone who is pro-choice (i.e. the Obamas), forced abortion is horrible as it takes the choice away from the woman which they see as the most important point. Actual pro-abortion folks would see nothing wrong with forced abortion if it lines up with their agenda.

I have no opinion on why she didn’t speak up, probably playing nice so as to not make waves would be my guess though.

She does not think this.
She is against forced-abortion.
That’s what “pro-choice” is all about…that a woman should not be forced to do something with her body that is not her choice–and that included “forced abortion”.
Simple.

In theory,your comments make perfect sense,in reality as it applies to the “pro choice” crowd,there really is only one option re an unplanned pregnancy…Abortion.
Their actions do not align with their mantra,a woman’s right to choose.
We see evidence of this every day,as I am sure you are aware.

I believe that Mrs Obama defended partial birth abortion, so I am not surprised by this.

I mean, how much can she do?

Well, maybe the left should think about that before running around telling everyone they can change the world…and before marketing Obama as a greek god during the '08 DNC.

See, the left wants it both ways----that Obama and the gang can do anything because of race, Ivy League experience, a professorship or whatever, but when reality hits, their loyal followers must scramble for excuses to make them look good.

Problem with the left is all this false hope, and when people come to cash in, well, let’s just say it’s overall pretty disappointing to most.

She has her daughters and her mother with her as they are on vacation from school and it’s meant to be a “family trip”.

On the taxpayer dime? I wonder if Jenna Bush could’ve gotten away with that…:ehhh:

And the White House made it very clear beforehand that on this specific visit Mrs. Obama would not dive into the nitty-gritty human rights or political abuses.

In other words,some of the American left is okay with being silenced by China, but cannot stand other points of view from other Americans.

Hillary Clinton caused a lot of bad blood when she did and this time, they are trying to reach out first for a “softer” diplomacy. Both Clinton and Laura Bush’s words on any topic like that were blackened out of the news there.

Does this mean that Clinton should not run for president? :smiley:

But she didn’t do “nothing”.

Splitting hairs in context, huh?

She spoke at a high school and at Peking university about minority rights and religious freedom and freedom of speech…she met with a blind man during a round-table discussion at the American Embassy in Beijing to talk about helping those with disabilities and the importance of education.

Oh my, I bet the Chinese government is scared silly now! :eek: She gave a speech! Whatever are they going to do?

I think maybe they’re too busy upgrading their navy to more modern standards.

She’s going to make a non-verbal but very obvious political statement by visiting a Tibetan restaurant to show support for the religious liberties of the Tibetans there. And more.

So then why isn’t the American mainstream media running with this story in the same they ran the allegeded Christie scandal? :confused:

She’s easing in the political messages. She’s trying to gain their trust first and then she’ll go deeper.
Often, that is a more effective way.

:rotfl: :clapping:

That’s about the best job on here I’ve seen of making excuses for American liberal politicians that I’ve ever seen.

Yeah, I’m sure that Tibet’s freedom and world peace are just around the corner. :rolleyes:

That’s what “pro-choice” is all about…that a woman should not be forced to do something with her body that is not her choice–and that included “forced abortion”.

Except when it comes to:

• Mandatory health insurance
  • Trans-fat
  • Salt
  • Sugary drinks
  • Smoking
  • Tobacco

BTW, a baby is not a part of a woman’s body.

:tiphat:

The left has their talking points,they defend them,regardless of the fact that they ring hollow.
Symbolism over substance…a phrase coined by the much reviled(by the left) Rush Limbaugh.

:thumbsup: Spot on SuperLuigi!

If she didn’t support women’s rights here at home, ya’ll would be thrilled—but because she doesn’t stand up for women’s rights in China, that’s a problem all of the sudden? Why?

:thumbsup:

Because here, “women’s rights” is typically code for abortion on demand

Trans Fats really are bad for you as is** too much** sugar consumption. We could probably lower the amount spent on medical expenses in this country if everyone could eat healthier.

What kind of religious freedom? the freedom of those underground Catholics who are loyal to the Pope? Or just non christian religions?

are people really that outraged with Mrs. Obama, what did the expect her to do on her vacation, to bad mouth a society that is hosting her ?

Nothing is going to be done about the horrendous conditions that the Chinese people are going through for the simple fact that it is the slave labor of not only America but the rest of the world as well.

I do think that if Mrs. Obama,( as much as I do not like her politics), had spoken out against these things while in the country hosting her, there is a possibility she might have caused such a backlash that she would have put herself and her family in danger, not to mention a possible international incident. There is a time and place for everything. Being the wife of the leader of the free world leads to some necessary caution when traveling to other countries with whom there are fragile diplomatic relations.

Once home, however, she should raise awareness of the issues vigorously, as being in the position she is in at home, she would have a large audience.

She also could have spoken out about the lack of religious freedom and the underground Catholic Church and the bishop whose funeral took place while she was there, a bishop who spent decades in jail or under house arrest.

But really, that would have been rude. I honestly would not like to have seen her do that.
I would have liked her NOT to have gone at all, unless the Obamas paid for the trip themselves. As it was, a nice networking holiday for Michelle for after her husband leaves office, and an educational trip for the daughters, it should not have been paid for by U.S. taxpayers, IMO.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.