China's concubine culture is back

China’s concubine culture is back China’s ancient concubine culture, illegal during the Mao Zedong era, is again in vogue with the rich and powerful, and most certainly with government officials. An estimated 95% of officials caught for corruption were keeping at least one mistress - and in one case it was 140. It seems concubines’ appetites for gifts and cash can push a man to abuse his power. - Stephen Wong (Jul

China’s concubine culture is back

Some people have joked that the trend has made it even more difficult for non-officials to find a wife, given China’s imbalanced sex ratio. (According to the semi-governmental All-China Women’s Federation, the sex ratio among newborn babies in 2005 was 119 boys to 100 girls.)

Time for a visit by Silvio Berlusconi to put a little ‘Stile Italiano’ into the whole business, I’d think.

I can’t help wondering if the “concubine culture” ever really left.

Jan Qing was his 4th wife.

And according to Wikipedia (which should always be approached with caution):

There are few academic sources discussing Mao’s private life, which was very secretive at the time of his rule. However, and particularly after Mao’s death, there has been an influx of publications on his personal life, as an example The Private Life of Chairman Mao by his physician Li Zhisui. The Private Life of Chairman Mao claims he had sexual affairs with numerous young women and possibly men, chain smoked cigarettes, had poor dental hygiene, causing his teeth to be colored green (it was also claimed that he rubbed Green Tea on his teeth instead of more commonly used dental hygiene methods, giving his teeth a distinctly green color) and generally lived a life of deviancy and excess. However, these claims have been rejected by PRC officials before, and have not been confirmed.

According to Jung Chang and Jon Halliday’s biography ‘Mao: The Unknown Story’, Mao had great personal wealth and was ‘the only millionaire’ in Mao’s China.

Dr. Li’s memoirs do remain very controversial with some of Mao’s former aids disputing the veracity of the claims. Some historians question just how accurate his memory was, too. I don’t doubt some of the claims, but it’s wise to keep in mind that Dr. Li’s life was ruined by Mao and he did have an axe to grind. I don’t remember that he drank green tea - I’ll hafta check into that…I got a copy of the book around here somewhere…:slight_smile:

Oh and Jiang Qing was either his 3rd or 4th wife, depending on how you count it; Mao was betrothed against his will to his unknown “first” wife. So if you count that unwilling engagement, which Mao never recognized, then Jiang Qing was Mao’s 4th wife.

Women, in general, remain “less equal” than men in the People’s Republic. Mellenia of attitudes dies hard. I can’t help but wonder though, that women will become more valued as the gender ratio in China continues to remain skewed!

I am with you…I wonder if it ever left or just went underground

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.