China's last eunuch spills sex secrets

China’s last eunuch spills sex secrets
Only two memories brought tears to Sun Yaoting’s eyes in old age – the day his father cut off his genitals, and the day his family threw away the pickled remains that should have made him a whole man again at death.

China’s last eunuch was tormented and impoverished in youth, punished in revolutionary China for his role as the “Emperor’s slave” but finally feted and valued, largely for outlasting his peers to become a unique relic, a piece of "living history."
He had stories of the tortuous rituals of the Forbidden City, Emperor Pu Yi’s last moments there and the troubled puppet court run by the Japanese during the 1930s. He escaped back to the heart of a civil war, became a Communist official and then a target of radical leftists before being finally left in peace.

The turbulent life has been recorded in the “The Last Eunuch of China” by amateur historian Jia Yinghua, who over years of friendship drew out of Sun the secrets that were too painful or intimate to spill to prying journalists or state archivists.

He died in 1996, in an old temble that had become his home, and his biography was finally published in English this year.

It unveils formerly taboo subjects like the sex life of eunuchs and the emperor they served, the agonizing castrations often done at home and also often lethal, and the incontinence and shame that came with the promise of great power.

“He was conflicted over whether to tell the secrets of the emperor,” said Jia, adding that Sun preserved a loyalty to the old system because he had dedicated so much of his life to it.

“I was the only person he trusted. He did not even confide in his family, after they threw away his ‘treasure,’” Jia added, using traditional eunuchs’ slang for their preserved genitals.

They were discarded during the chaotic 1966-76 Cultural Revolution, when having anything from the “old society” could put lives at risk.

“He only cried about two things; when telling me about the castration and about the loss of his ‘treasure’,” said Jia, who works as an energy bureaucrat, but devotes all his spare time to chronicling the dying days of Imperial China after a childhood enthralled by the eunuchs and princes who were his neighbors.

STERILITY AND POWER

Over years of painstaking resarch, he has gleaned arcane details about every aspect of palace life, along with secrets about the emperor’s sexuality and cruelty that would look at home on the front page of tabloid newspapers.

For centuries in China, the only men from outside the imperial family who were allowed into the Forbidden City’s private quarters were castrated ones. They effectively swapped their reproductive organs for a hope of exclusive access to the empreror that made some into rich and influential politicians.

Continued at: stuff.co.nz/oddstuff/2268746/Chinas-last-eunuch-spills-sex-secrets

I am going to confess that I feel a little dirty as I post this thread as I am obsessing and bringing over for Catholics to read something scandalous but I did not previously know that China recently had eunuchs, which is one why I think this is significant in addition to saddening and deeply depressing. :(:(:(:o

Does anyone know how and why they eradicated this practice?

Eunuchs are like nurtured dogs. They are very loyal and don’t wonder around. That’s why emperors and rulers of ancient times used them for many administrative works. Most rulers also had a big number of concubines that needed supervision over. Those rulers trusted no one but eunuchs. Since they couldn’t reproduce, they couldn’t mess around. Eunuchs were also used for the recording of sex by the rulers. Whoever the rulers slept with, it had to be recorded for heir issues. Eunuch disappeared with the end of empires.

It sounds like they castrated everything, if incontinence was an issue.
This practice was not foreign to the Catholic Church either, if my information is correct. It had more to do wit maintaining boys angelic voices by eliminating puberty.

That’s horrible. :eek: When did this happen?

religioustolerance.org/rcccast.htm

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castrato

I looked at the first site and saw this excerpt:

One source estimates that, during the 17th and 18th centuries, three to five thousand boys per year in Italy were castrated. Castration was forbidden under canon law. The church condemned the practice and occasionally excommunicated the person responsible for the surgery. But the church simultaneously created a market for castrati by hiring them for its church choirs. By about 1789, there were more than 200 castrati in Rome’s chapel choirs alone.

The number of castrati declined during the 19th century. In 1870, castrations were banned in the Papal States – the last political jurisdiction to do so. In 1878, Pope Leo XIII prohibited the hiring of new castrati by the church. By 1900 there were only 16 castrati singing in the Sistine Chapel and other Catholic choirs in Europe. In 1902, Pope Leo XIII ruled that new castrati would not be admitted to the Sistine Chapel. In 1903, Pope Pius X formally banned adult male sopranos from the Vatican. The Church’s last castrati, Alessandro Moreschi, died in 1922.

You know, the Catholic Church banned chattel slavery and excommunicated some for participating in this activity, yet Jesuit monasteries owned slaves. The Catholic Church is pro-life yet some of the most adamant defenders of abortion call themselves Catholic. The Catholic Church bans gay marriage and … The Catholic Church sheltered Jews during the Holocaust and clearly banned racism, yet Hitler’s father received a Papal dispensation. The Catholic Church was the foremost opponent of Communism (particularly at Fatima), yet Stalin dropped out of Orthodox seminary. We seem to have the correct moral teaching fighting against the most activist people wanting to destroy this teaching all within the Church. If the Antichrist comes, I would not be surprised if he called himself a Catholic Cardinal. Wasn’t that what the Third Secret of Fatima was about anyways or something along those lines? :o:confused::shrug: In fact, sometimes I am grateful that the conservative Protestant denominations are all extremely suspicious of the Catholic Church because they may prevent unknowing Catholics from being misled from Sacred Scripture by listening to ‘Catholic’ voices. Without the conservative Protestants sticking to the literal interpretation of the Bible all the time and the Reformation, we might be in sadder shape. God can work even good out of a great evil like the split of the Churches.

St. Francis of Assisi is one lovely example though of reform within the Church. :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t have any special knowledge or deep understanding, but I think eunuchs were created to directly serve the Emperor and family. Other than that, there was no special place for eunuchs in Chinese culture. So when the Emperor abdicated in 1916, it removed the reasons for creating eunuchs. Sun Yaoting apparently was eunuched shortly after the Emperor stepped down…news traveled slowly back then.

The practice of castrating young boys for service to the emperor died out with the Qing Dynasty. Eunuchs, for thousands of years in China, were used as personal attendants to the Emperor of China (a.k.a. the “Son of Heaven,”) but, indeed, the aforementioned eunuch, was among the last and went on to serve “Emperor” Pu Yi (Pu Yi was made to abdicate at about age 5).

I really should pick up this book if I can find it. To my knowledge, the young Pu Yi spent his time in Shanghai, living a quite comfortable life, before being installed as a puppet emperor of Japenese occupied Manchuria (a.k.a. Manchuko).

However, let’s not forget that the Catholic church used castrated males in their choirs in the middle ages:

In Europe, when women were not permitted to sing in church or cathedral choirs in the Roman Catholic Church, boys were sometimes castrated to prevent their voices breaking at puberty and to develop a special high voice. The first documents mentioning castrati are Italian church records from the 1550s.

In the baroque music era these singers were highly appreciated by Opera composers as well. Famous castrati include Farinelli, Senesino, Carestini, and Caffarelli. Joseph Haydn was almost castrated. The last castrato, and the only one of which recordings are extant, was Alessandro Moreschi (1858-1922) who served in the Sistine Chapel Choir.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.