Chinese officials burn bibles, close churches, force Christian to denounce faith amid 'escalating' crackdown

The Chinese government is destroying cross, burning bibles, closing churches and forcing Christian believers to sign papers renouncing their faith as the crackdown on religious congregations in Beijing and several provinces intensifies.

The suppression of religious freedoms comes as an official government campaign to “Sinicize” religion by demanding loyalty to the atheist Communist party and removing any potential challenge to the party’s power in the country.

When you start burning Bibles, assuming the story is true, I don’t doubt it, it needs to be reported on especially to counter other info out there.

I don’t know why US corporations do business in China. Can anyone imagine US corporations in the 50’-80’s doing business in the USSR. Or doing business with Nazi’s.

IBM did just that. I believe that there’s a web of collusion.

One thing, China has had MNF status, that means “Most Favored Nation”, one would have to go into the history, of whom gave it to them first… but it is renewed every so often like every few years.

I believe the Trump administration had it under consideration not to renew that MNF status, I’m not sure if they did not renew it. But we are still doing something. We, the USA probably inadvertently have pumped China up.

I read that China wants Christians to attend government approved Churches and that it is campaigning against the underground churches which operate without government approval. How is this so different from the USA where " Wisconsin college bars student’s ‘Jesus Loves You’ valentines, prompting suit"? A student is barred from handing out religious Valentine’s Day Cards on the grounds that she is not handing them out in an area approved by the authorities?

Fair example but China has jailed many many religious types, I believe a Chinese Bishop was jailed in the past and is venerated by the Catholic Church. So, I’m sure there are major differences one can point to.

China seems to be persecuting a number of religions, jailing people. Yes, I think it is much different.

And of course, with the Falun Gong, people flee the Communist government, the repression is so bad. No, we aren’t like China with religious liberties.

First they came for the Tibetans, then the Uighurs, now the Christians. It’s the policy of this new guy who just made himself dictator for life at the last Party Congress. Seems like a real snake.

Emperor Xi :cn:

Bill Clinton.

Was he a part of the officially recognized Patriotic Catholic Church, or the underground Catholic Church which operates without registering with the government?

The underground church. One would have to doublecheck the facts. I know that one Bishop was famous for being jailed. I am sorry I don’t have the facts.

As I pointed out above, even in the USA you are allowed to hand out religious information only in areas approved by the authorities in charge. Is it true that Bishop broke the law by not registering with the government?

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.