Chinese Wife and an Evangelical that doesn't know where to start

Hi Everyone,

My need is pretty unique. I hope this is the right place to ask, and if not it will find a home elsewhere in the forums.

Here's some background first:

I am an older evangelical Baptist. I've been listening critically and thoughtfully to Catholic radio for about 6 months and am slowly being drawn to a genuine affection for the message and people I am listening to. This is foreign to me, and given my background, a bit frightening. (If you are a former evangelical, you know the picture that's been painted of Catholicism from my youth up.)

I've found Fr. John Riccardo (catholic.com/profiles/fr-john-riccardo) and Catholic Answers Live to be among the easiest and most compelling to listen to. I know I am listening to brother's and sisters in Christ, but it took me a long time to set aside the Evangelical mindset that's molded a lot of my religious thinking. In the last 20 years I've travelled from fundamentalism through anger to frustration to resigned skepticism, back toward a curious faith, finally to where I am today, which is disenfranchised and alone.

My wife and I have enrolled our daughter in a Catholic pre-school this coming fall. I feel good about the school and parish from what I have heard from other parents, but I've not attended the church.

My wife is Chinese (Mandarin) and came to know the Lord through a Chinese home church. She was counseled against Catholicism in China and is pretty adamant she doesn't want to learn anything about it.

My wife's English is limited and she struggles with extended listening and reading in English.

Now, my need:

I would like to introduce my wife to a compassionate and compelling Mandarin Chinese-language Catholic program that she can listen to online.

Since I don't speak Chinese, I can only trust that the helpful folks here can point me in the right direction.

In a nutshell, I'm looking for a way to give my wife the same experience in Chinese that I got from listening to Fr. Riccardo and Catholic Answers Live in English.

I'm hoping that we can consider Catholicism together; if I go it alone, it would be very difficult; there will be opposition, fear, and sincere tears from my evangelical family. Not for my soul, because they believe in the Protestant doctrine of eternal security, but for my children, and their children, who, according to my tradition, will now be lost unless they come to a saving knowledge of Jesus, which they believe the Catholic Church doesn't offer.

Thank you all in advance for your help.

You can see there are many layers to this.

Streckfus

Unfortunately, I don't speak Chinese therefore I'm limited in how I can help you. I know in Montreal, we have a chinese parish so an idea would be to check if your diocese has a chinese parish and contact them. They might have some resources that could help you. In the meantime, I have included the link for Montreal's Chinese parish. If you contacted them, they might be able to refer you to some resources.

montrealchinesecatholic.ca/default.asp?DocumentID=7&lang=en

Good luck,

SG

Welcome!

I'm an ex-Baptist. The book that really spoke to me was Born Fundamentalist...Born Again Catholic. A number of people will also recommend Rome Sweet Home.

I know in Montreal, we have a chinese parish so an idea would be to check if your diocese has a chinese parish and contact them. They might have some resources that could help you. In the meantime, I have included the link for Montreal's Chinese parish. If you contacted them, they might be able to refer you to some resources.

POD. Even if you cannot find a local Chinese group, contact a parish, and simply ask them for these type of references you desire to share with her.

I have no resources to offer but am posting to keep your thread at the top and more visible:)

May the Lord lead you and your family to all truth! (FYI that is the prayer I would pray every time I read my Bible, before I came back to the Catholic Church. More of a convert even though a technical revert. )

[quote="Streckfus, post:1, topic:287657"]
Hi Everyone,

My need is pretty unique. I hope this is the right place to ask, and if not it will find a home elsewhere in the forums.

Here's some background first:

I am an older evangelical Baptist. I've been listening critically and thoughtfully to Catholic radio for about 6 months and am slowly being drawn to a genuine affection for the message and people I am listening to. This is foreign to me, and given my background, a bit frightening. (If you are a former evangelical, you know the picture that's been painted of Catholicism from my youth up.)

I've found Fr. John Riccardo (catholic.com/profiles/fr-john-riccardo) and Catholic Answers Live to be among the easiest and most compelling to listen to. I know I am listening to brother's and sisters in Christ, but it took me a long time to set aside the Evangelical mindset that's molded a lot of my religious thinking. In the last 20 years I've travelled from fundamentalism through anger to frustration to resigned skepticism, back toward a curious faith, finally to where I am today, which is disenfranchised and alone.

My wife and I have enrolled our daughter in a Catholic pre-school this coming fall. I feel good about the school and parish from what I have heard from other parents, but I've not attended the church.

My wife is Chinese (Mandarin) and came to know the Lord through a Chinese home church. She was counseled against Catholicism in China and is pretty adamant she doesn't want to learn anything about it.

My wife's English is limited and she struggles with extended listening and reading in English.

Now, my need:

I would like to introduce my wife to a compassionate and compelling Mandarin Chinese-language Catholic program that she can listen to online.

Since I don't speak Chinese, I can only trust that the helpful folks here can point me in the right direction.

In a nutshell, I'm looking for a way to give my wife the same experience in Chinese that I got from listening to Fr. Riccardo and Catholic Answers Live in English.

I'm hoping that we can consider Catholicism together; if I go it alone, it would be very difficult; there will be opposition, fear, and sincere tears from my evangelical family. Not for my soul, because they believe in the Protestant doctrine of eternal security, but for my children, and their children, who, according to my tradition, will now be lost unless they come to a saving knowledge of Jesus, which they believe the Catholic Church doesn't offer.

Thank you all in advance for your help.

You can see there are many layers to this.

Streckfus

[/quote]

HI Streckfus,
Welcome to the forums and your exploration of Catholicism.

I don't speak a lick of Chinese but I found these links that might help you out. I don't know how orthodox they are so if you speak Chinese you might want t listen with her and make sure everything is correct. Hope these help.

tianzhu.org/tw/index.php
catholicworld.info/links/homechin.htm#audio

I can't speak a word of Chinese but found this site that may have some information for you....
...God Bless you.

seattlechinesecatholic.org/default.aspx

Thank you one and all for your encouragement and resources. I will continue to reach out. This was my first step and I appreciate the warm support.

All the best to you.

Streckfus

Ask someone in the parish office where your daughter will attend preschool this year, if they know if there is program for Chinese speakers somewhere in the diocese. If they don't know, ask if there is a number you can call and ask your self. There is a wonderful program for Chinese speakers in my diocese, but I never heard of it until I met a Chinese gentleman who was interested in joining the Church and asked around myself. Give your wife some time and space and she will soon join you. Welcome Home!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.