Choose Life: It's Good for You!

My dear friends in Christ,

I just wrote this article for my Catholic high school newspaper. If you wouldn’t mind reading it (it is slightly long), it would mean a lot to me! Any feedback is greatly, greatly appreciated.

As always, may God bless you and keep you forever! :slight_smile:

Ryan

Choose Life: It’s Good for You!

The pro-life movement is something very dear to me and, of course, my fellow Catholics throughout the world. In it, we fight against the evils of abortion, contraception, murder, and a general immorality supported by what Pope Saint John Paul II described as the “culture of death.”

To hear this phrase, a “culture of death,” doesn’t it just scare you? It sure scares me! I would never want to be involved with death, fear, immorality, or any of the other evils present in modern society. Instead, I desire the everlasting life that flows forth from the Sacred Heart of Jesus. I want to be incorporated into the Mystical Body of Christ now and always and to merit His Heavenly Kingdom at the end of my earthly days.

Thus, you can see that my love and worship of God through the Catholic Church is above all things and certainly the most important thing in my life. That is why I find it so hard to believe that, today alone, according to numbers provided by the Guttmacher Institute, an estimated 1,776 babies were aborted in the United States by only 2:16 in the afternoon. I don’t know how this number doesn’t shock people or make them want to step back and say, “My goodness, what have we done?” And, if that’s not good enough for you, here’s another number: the Guttmacher Institute also reported that almost 50 million babies were aborted between 1973 and 2008 in the United States alone.

Such numbers show that complete disregard that many Americans have for God’s gift of creation and their attempt to take the matters of life and death into their own foolish hands. Over the past forty years, however, the Catholic Church has worked to end the evils of abortion and to move us away from the “culture of death.”
Therefore, we, the young generation, must be active in the pro-life movement, showing our Catholic faith by our works and striving towards a culture of life in the United States. To inspire you, consider this situation:

-Anne and her boyfriend Mark decided to have sex one evening. Soon after, Anne realizes that she is pregnant, but wouldn’t dare tell her parents of her encounter with Mark. Plus, she couldn’t bear to let on to her friends in college of her situation. As a result, she drives over to the local abortion clinic, does everything they ask, and boom, her baby is gone. No one has to know anything ever happened. Life can go back to normal.-

To an outside, modernist individual, this story, stripped bare of emotion and based in the “culture of death,” sounds normal. But, NEWSFLASH, it’s absolutely not. It is an intrinsically disgusting and evil action known as murder. To prove this, let’s consider the following Bible passages, the true Word of God:

• (God speaking to Jeremiah) “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you” (Jer 1:5).
• (Job speaking to God) “Your hands have formed me and fashioned me” (Jb 10:8).

• (The psalmist speaking to God) “You formed my inmost being; / you knit me in my mother’s womb. / I praise you, so wonderfully you made me; / wonderful are your works! My very self you knew; / my bones were not hidden from you, / When I was being made in secret, / fashioned as in the depths of the earth. / Your eyes foresaw my actions; / in your book all are written down; / my days were shaped, before one came to / be” (Ps 139:13-16).
These clearly show that God, our one and only Creator, has formed us specifically in our mother’s womb. He knows us before we are even born and has a Divine Will for each and every one of us. Thus, human life does indeed begin at the moment of conception and has undeniable dignity, value, and sanctity. For this reason, abortion is not just the “termination of a pregnancy” as modern society likes to call it. Instead, it is clearly the murder of an innocent human being: a child who has been uniquely created by God.

So, with this in mind, let’s revisit Anne. She succumbed to a temptation of the flesh: she fornicated with her boyfriend and got pregnant. She finds out and knows that her mistake could ruin her life, not in the sense that a baby is bad (obviously NOT), but in the sense that she will have to stop school and will most definitely anger her parents. However, instead of living up to her mistake and preserving the beautiful life inside her, she chooses to destroy it.

Think about that for a moment: Heaven has rejoiced in God’s creation of a new life in the womb of one of his daughters and now it has been destroyed. Modern society tries to deny this: “Oh, it wasn’t really a life, it wasn’t even born” or “She has the right to choose.” We all know that this is false. After examining Sacred Scripture, we see the sanctity of life at all stages and the truth of life beginning at the moment of conception. We see that God has distinctly created a new life in the woman’s womb. Therefore, no one, I repeat, no one has the right to choose who lives and who dies, when a child will be born and when he or she will not. God alone is the Master of all, of life, of death. Therefore, if God blesses you with a child, then it MUST live.

Now, at the same time, we all know that in Anne’s situation, she doesn’t have the means to take care of a baby. Some people will argue that, therefore, it would be better if she just aborts and keeps the baby from living a life of pain and poverty. But, that is simply not true. The life created by God deserves to continue to live and follow God’s will for him or her. Abortion is simply NOT an option. If a mother knows that she cannot take care of a baby on her own, then she must reach out to family, friends, and the Church for support. Although she made a mistake, we will all support her now. Institutions like Malta House in Norwalk, CT, will give the mother and child a place to stay and the necessary help to survive in this world. If they only looked at these holy options, rather than choosing death.

And, even if these aren’t possible for the mother, then she could at least adopt the baby out to a family in need of a baby, who will love and cherish that life as if he or she was its own. These are the methods which women MUST use if they have a baby that they cannot support on their own: methods from a culture of life!

If only women would stay away from the evils of abortion, their lives would be so much better and holiness would be within them. Instead, potential mothers like Anne end up committing murder, and I guarantee she will regret it later on. When she finally does marry and become pregnant with a son or daughter, she will feel life growing within her. She will give birth, and marvel at the wonders of God in blessing her with a child of her own. And then, she will remember the abortion she procured those many years ago. She will remember the little child being removed from her womb and the life that was there before she destroyed it. She will feel terrible and never be able to live with herself again after murdering her first child.

Thus, abortion hurts not only the innocent child, but also the mother, who lives in guilt for the rest of her life over what she has done. This is why we have to stop abortion right here, right now. We have to stop the murder of unborn babies. We have to stop the never-ending grief experienced by mothers who have done it. We have to help women who become pregnant unexpectedly, and, although we don’t approve of their situation, we must be willing to assist in every way we can and thus prevent an abortion from occurring.

My dear friends in Christ, 50 million children need not be murdered in the next forty-five years. One thousand seven hundred seventy-six children need not be murdered before 2:30 in any given day. Together, we must outlaw abortion and communicate its evils to the ends of the earth so that all life will be treated as it should: as a sacred gift from God, Who is in Heaven forever and ever. Amen.

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the living God, have mercy on all of us, for we are lowly sinners. Please grant us peace and unity in your Holy Catholic Church and inspire all people to come together in the pro-life crusade. Amen.

God doesn’t end our lives even when we are poor. Even though we may be either materially or spiritually bankrupt God does not euthanize us. And even if he does say, “It would be better for him if he had not been born”, Matthew 26:24, he did not prevent his betrayer’s birth even at great cost to himself. Our God, responds to that kind of reasoning by his own actions. He did not deny life to those who would kill him. If he would not prevent his own murder by abortion, then it is clear that any message to the contrary does not come from Him. Any person speaking that abortion is justifiable because it is better for the child or the parents has denied the truth which is illustrated by God’s action concerning his Jesus. It is clear that even under the most extreme circumstance God does not abort life.

Now as the question that the pregnancy can be terminated with a clear conscience at an early point. God could have done so with his own murderers but clearly did not. God does not abort life. it is clear by his own actions. He has addressed the issue of abortion in Matthew 26:24. Neither for the good of the child or for the life of Jesus will God abort a child. It is a fact.

In general, I like it a lot. :thumbsup:

A couple of points:
[LIST]
*]Don’t reference the Guttmacher Institute; doing so legitimizes them, and they are a fully-funded branch of Planned Parenthood. Sometimes they have some good stats, but the potential for bias in other data searches is too strong.
*]Change “If only women would stay away…” to “If only young couples would stay away…” There’s no reason to drive a potentially sexist wedge where quite often the father is even the guiltier party.
*]Your language is a bit too fancy for my tastes in a few places. Maybe look it over some and see if you can make it more the lingo of your readers.
[/LIST]

Thanks for preaching the good news!

Thank you for reading my article and actually responding! It really means a lot to me! :slight_smile: I will definitely make some changes that you pointed out. One question: I know that the Guttmacher Institute is the Planned Parenthood statitician, and I didn’t really like that, but it had numbers that I wanted ti show. Do you know of any other groups that can give me similar numbers?

Thanks again! May God bless you! :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.