Choosing A Church

Hello, I was raised Protestant and intend to become a Catholic. Does anyone have any guidance on choosing a church?
My husband is Episcopalian and will convert with me, and we have 4 young children we want to get involved in the church ages 9 1/2, 6 1/2, 5 and 3
There are quite a few Catholic Churches in my area.
Thanks for any imput.

Cowardly Lion:confused:

Call or go to your nearest Catholic Church and ask about RCIA (Rites of Christian Initiation for Adults). To become Catholic one must go through RCIA first. Typically, it’s about a nine-month process starting around Aug/Sept and culmulating with the Easter Vigil.

Prayers for you and your husband. I’m a convert, too!

As far as choosing a Church, that’s a personal matter and I just go to the one in my parish – though I often visit nearby ones, too. Aside from surface issues like architecture, music selections, etc etc, Mass is Mass wherever you go.

yea i was raised protestant but now I'm Catholic too but I'm only 17 and my mom wont let me go too a Catholic church so i say just pray about it and have the Holy Spirit guide you. :highprayer:

Welcome to CAF! :wave:

It sounds like you and your family are on quite the spiritual journey. Praise God!

As for choosing which parish to attend, probably the best advice I could give is to simply try out several of them and pray about where God is calling you to be.

Of course, the Catholic Church can be different from other branches of Christianity in that not as much depends upon the pastor. Priests can be moved from place to place. But that doesn’t stop individual parishes from taking on their own personalities based on those who atttend.

So just show up and try them out. :slight_smile: I will keep you and your family in my prayers. God bless!

[quote="CountrySteve, post:3, topic:239566"]
yea i was raised protestant but now I'm Catholic too but I'm only 17 and my mom wont let me go too a Catholic church so i say just pray about it and have the Holy Spirit guide you. :highprayer:

[/quote]

CountrySteve,

What are your plans after highschool?  College?  Military? Work?  Whatever they are, once you get out on your own, you can attend Mass every day, if you like!  :)  Hang in there, man!  Your turn is coming!

God bless!

As it turns out, according to canon law you belong (or will belong, when you join the Church) to a geographical parish, depending on your home address. You may attend Mass at churches outside your parish, but you still belong to your home parish.

Can. 518 As a general rule a parish is to be territorial, that is, one which includes all the Christian faithful of a certain territory. When it is expedient, however, personal parishes are to be established determined by reason of the rite, language, or nationality of the Christian faithful of some territory, or even for some other reason.

Call your local chancery office (the business office of the bishop) and find out which parish you are in. If you belong to a particular ethnic group other than that of fully-assimilated members of your country, you might also inquire as to whether a personal parish has been established for the pastoral care of your particular group. At least try your geographical parish or the local parish set up to minister to your group.

I was not particularly wild about my home parish when I first started going there, but it has definitely grown on me!

Just try out the different parishes near you and choose which one you feel comfortable in and which one your kids like best, the actual mass doesnt really change between parishes/different priests anywhere near as much as it does in protestant churches so its just a case of finding one that feels right and where you like the people.

Thank you all for the encouraging words. I will look around and also at my closest church as well. My concern was my young children–esp my 3yr old son. He is a late talker–but loves to climb and run. I don’t want to bother the other members of the church. I am sure there will be a place for the younger ones. Thanks again!

Hello again,

I also want to move my children --eventually–sooner rather than later–to a Catholic school. They are currently in public schools here. One of the local k-8 schools recently closed. I will keep looking though.
As I mentioned before–we say prayers with the children at night. Their grandparents-mother in law is from England and Anglican and father in law a former Episcopalian Minister and Professor at a Seminary–gave us some nice children’s prayer books for Easter.
We are going slow, but my 6 year old daughter often leads us in the Lord’s Prayer–she memorized it straight away.

Thank you,

Ive found in most parishes everyone is used to kids getting a little unsettled, My little girls 2 1/2 and she likes climbing too and no ones ever been too bothered, most people are just glad to see young children at church. Plus most of them have stuff for the little ones to do. hope your new parish is like that too :slight_smile:

welcome home
start attending Mass, with your family if they are agreeable, in the Catholic parish closest to your home which is the one in whose geographic boundaries you reside. If you have problems there, try neighboring parishes. In 3 or 4 months you should have an idea where you would like to be part of that community, so inquire about RCIA, the process by which you and your family will be brought into full communion with the Catholic Church. Look for of course solid preaching and teaching, reverence in the Mass, at the ministries, outreaches and other parish activities (bearing in mind some of these wind down for the summer), programs for your children, bible studies etc. And simply observe the people. No you cannot judge the whole Church or even a parish by some people but in every parish there are some people who stand out, and make even a casual observer think, I want to be a part of his community, I want to be like him.

You can also use this time to research (here of course at CA is the place to begin) and get answers to your questions about Catholic teaching and practice, especially anything you observe that makes you uncomfortable.

My parish has a children’s nursery for a couple of Masses. Check around and see if any of the ones near you offer it, too.

But … there are always children at Mass. Sometimes they are quiet and sometimes they aren’t.

[quote="CowardlyLion, post:8, topic:239566"]
Thank you all for the encouraging words. I will look around and also at my closest church as well. My concern was my young children--esp my 3yr old son. He is a late talker--but loves to climb and run. I don't want to bother the other members of the church. I am sure there will be a place for the younger ones. Thanks again!

[/quote]

Yes, that's what can be helpful about actually going to the various parishes. One parish in my town has a decidedly older demographic of parishioners. My parish is full of kids. It's definitely easier for my family to "blend in" in that setting. :p

God Bless, and welcome to the universal side of the Tiber!

Thank you all so much again for the encouraging words and genuine kindness. I have long postponed what is in my heart–but cannot do it any longer. It is what I need , what my husband and family need and I have always felt this kinship with the Catholic Church–cannot really explain–just knew it was where I belonged-- and now is the right time. I sincerely appreciate the guidance all of you have given me-- I am ready for this and need this for myself and for my family. I also have a lot to give!! I appreciate this forum–it gives me so much hope for my future–because my faith has always been there-- but it is the guidance and knowledge that I need now to better myself for God.

Thanks to all and esp to God, the Holy Spirit, Jesus who died for my sins and our Blessed Mother Mary–who will crush the Serpent with her heel!!

Thank you again.

Welcome home!

I agree with other posters who say to check into the parishes closest to you. Each parish has it’s own demographics (age, language) that make it a good fit, or not. You mentioned that you’d like to put your children into parochial school. Some schools give first preference to parishioners, and there may be a discount on tuition as well (since you’re supporting your parish already).

Most parishes have their own websites. Google the name of your diocese (if you don’t know, put in diocese and the name of your city, it’ll probably come up). From there you can get the names of the parishes, and see what kind of things they offer (children’s liturgy, nursery programs, etc).

Good luck, and I hope you have many blessings as you discover your Catholic faith. God bless!

i thought about going too college to be a history professior or teacher

[quote="CountrySteve, post:3, topic:239566"]

[/quote]

I will pray for you perhaps when you leave for college you can find a Catholic church nearby have you been received into the Catholic church and confirmed if not maybe when you go to college you can find a good rcia program I am a convert myself Why doesn't your mom allow you to go to a Catholic church? Is she anti catholic and if so what are her reasons?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.