Choosing a college major and doing God's will

I'm wanting to study theology because it interests me, but I don't know what I could do with it as far as getting a career going. But I also think computer science or biology might be neat too. What should I do? As a catholic, I'm trying to do what God wants me to do, but I'm unsure of where he wants me and what I should be doing with my life. I cannot be a priest since I'm getting married next year.
I'm having a hard time discerning whether my desires to study theology come from God or myself. I've prayed about it but have not yet received an answer or any direction. :-(

May God guide you.
I do have a friend who has her PhD in theology. She works for the archdiocese in Catholic teaching a media, and lecture regarding Liturgy in a Catholic university.
There are possible applications.
But I guess you need to look at why you want to study theology and whether it is you actually wish to know your Catholic faith more deeply or you see a future that will also support your family.
If it is a deep desire to know our faith more deeply, then there are other ways. You know that the Catechism and Church documents including encyclicals and the teaching of the Church Fathers are available in full on the internet...so how you study theology may depend on your motivation and focus.

My prayers for you, that God will lead and nurture you

Hello there! I know it can be difficult to know exactly what God wants you to do in life, but I think that’s part of the excitment. I am happy to hear of your marriage and I assume that at some point afterwards you will start a family. What you should ask yourself and pray about is: “What path in life could best support and nourish my new family?”

You will soon have a responsibilty to your family, and it is your duty from God to love, protect and serve them for Him. How could you best do this? Sometimes we get caught up in what we want to do, and yes, you should enjoy your career, but it seems that your vocation is marriage and that means bringing up new life in God’s church. Please pray for God’s wisdom and have faith in Him.

I wish you a blessed marriage and I pray for your openness to God’s will.
“Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and he will make straight your paths.” - Proverbs 3:5-6

I once have an ambition of being a Teacher and try to guide the misguided sheep, but I end up studying Business. At first, it was from my father's opinion that I should study business, but as I have a book of economics at my hand, I became interested in it.

Try to scan through the subjects of the course that might interest you.

How about Political Science or Forensic Anthropology?

Why not a general liberal arts degree to start?

It can be hard to support a family on a Theology degree. Why not get a Theology minor and a major in something that will support a family?

Ask the help of a trusted priest or friend.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.