Choosing a patron Saint..

Greetings,

As my confirmation day aproaches, I have been thinking about Saints and looking around for one to choose as my patron Saint.

What are the things one should take into consideration when choosing a Saint? Does one need to stick with that saint or can one change patron saints at a later date?

I was wondering if anyone here could offer some advice on how to look for a saint and probably even recommend names of good saints(since there are so many!).

I have been reading with interest about St. Augustine, St. Theresa of Avila, St. Therese of The Little Flower. Are there any other that people like around here?

Thanks in advance.
Asimis

www.catholic-forum.com/saints/indexsnt.htm

This is a site that lists all the saints and what they are patrons over.

You can also do a search on this forum for patron saint. There are many threads just like yours.

I won’t be baptised until next Easter, so it’ll be ages until I’m confirmed. But I was just wondering, does my ‘confirmation’ name need to be different to my birth name? My name is Joseph (obviously a saint’s name), so would I be able to take a different name at Confirmation if, for example, I found a saint I really identified with? Would there be any point? Would it be allowed?

You should look up good Catholic websites on patron Saints and find one you like. You can choose one with your name or any name. Start having a look.
Did you know that Jeus will give you a new name in Heaven, that only you and God will know. See quote from Revelation Ch 2-

17: He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who conquers I will give some of the hidden manna, and I will give him a white stone, with a new name written on the stone which no one knows except him who receives it.’

Link to RSV bible- etext.lib.virginia.edu/rsv.browse.html
Happy Easter to you all.

[quote=Asimis]Greetings,

As my confirmation day aproaches, I have been thinking about Saints and looking around for one to choose as my patron Saint.

[/quote]

I’ve just got to throw in the name of my favorite saint: St. Pio of Pietrelcina (better known as Padre Pio) If you know little or nothing about him, you will be overwhelmed by the stories of his life and work. See this web page for links to sites on him:
apostles.com/resources.html

You may not choose him for your patron, but you will be
richer for having learned about him. :thumbsup:

When I went through RCIA, I had a similar question for the woman who ran it at the time. She said that I didn’t need to add to my “moniker.” My full name is Christine Elizabeth. I found mention of five different St. Elizabeth’s, so that isn’t a problem. Of course, Christine is the feminine form of Christopher. Actually, one priest told me that Christine is also the feminine form of Christ. Who wants to add to that?

One Elizabeth has her feast day about two weeks before my birthday. I count her as my “official” saint. Although I often turn to other saints at various times.

www.catholic.org/saints
**This is a great website **to select a patron saint. We use patron saints as a person who can be a prayer partner, an intercessor throughout out life. A person whose virtues may be one’s we may strive to imitate.

Congratulations to you! Happy Easter

I didn’t select a patron saint…at least, I didn’t change my name for my confirmation. Until this moment, I wished I had (my confirmation and reception into the Church was just this year, on January 30). I just realized, by the grace of the Spirit, that there must be a St. William (or several perhaps). I’ll have to look that up. (William is my middle name…and Bishop said I didn’t have to take a new name if I didn’t want to, after learning my middle name, agreeing that it is a Christian name, so I assume there must be a few St. Williams out there).

saintpatrickdc.org/ss/ss-index.htm#intro

(11 000+ saints and blesseds listed, with brief biographies or basic info…you could perhaps pray about it, and use even your birthday as a possibility, or your day of confirmation…for a saint on that day, I mean—just a thought).

closed #9

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.