Choosing a Pope from outside of the Papal conclave

I've read that it's possible but unlikely a non-cardinal or non-bishop can be chosen to be the Pope. If this unlikely thing were to happen how would the cardinals who are locked up behind the doors of the conclave communicate to him to ask if he accepts the offer when he isn't in the conclave or might not even be in the same country?

By the way, if this unlikely thing were to happen I would be happy to see Fr. Mitch Pacwa chosen. :thumbsup:

Messengers are sent out from the conclave to personally deliver the news to the new pope.

It hasn't happened for while, but it did happen regularly back in the day.

The advantage the cardinals have for electing someone in the conclave is that they know if he'll accept right then as he's there.

One website thought that it would be a good idea if Stephan Colbert be the next pope. :smiley:

[quote="J_the_Centrist, post:3, topic:316116"]
One website thought that it would be a good idea if Stephan Colbert be the next pope. :D

[/quote]

Or Bill ORielly?

Cardinals go in then cardinals go out, and now Bill O’Reilly is pope.
You can’t explain that.

I was thinking more on the lines of Bill Donohue.

[quote="Kielbasi, post:6, topic:316116"]
I was thinking more on the lines of Bill Donohue.

[/quote]

O'Reilly is married and Donohue is divorced, which would probably disqualify them both I don't know. If we had to go with a married candidate I would prefer Dr. Gerard M. Verschuuren, after all he is a former Jesuit and has a brilliant mind. :D

Jimmy Akin for pope!

[quote="J_the_Centrist, post:7, topic:316116"]
O'Reilly is married and Donohue is divorced, which would probably disqualify them both I don't know. If we had to go with a married candidate I would prefer Dr. Gerard M. Verschuuren, after all he is a former Jesuit and has a brilliant mind. :D

[/quote]

Peter was married.

[quote="Inego_de_Loyola, post:9, topic:316116"]
Peter was married.

[/quote]

I know, but a married pope would never be selected and being that I am only now becoming familiar with Canon Law I don't know whether a married man could become pope. I know that someone can be selected from anywhere in the global Catholic community, but I declare my ignorance as to whether married men are permitted.

Any Catholic adult male is eligible, right?

[quote="Lisa1967, post:11, topic:316116"]

[/quote]

This has always been my understanding. I don't think marriage is a technical disqualification.

A prayer of thanksgiving, that this thread does not include too many Cardinals, at least I hope....otherwise.....Where 's my Rosary....

How many of the Cardinals are Not Ordained?

Fr. Mitch Pacwa of EWTN knows 12 languages, has been evangelizing the world on EWTN for over 20 years, is a world-class biblical scholar and theologian, knows how to celebrate Mass in the Eastern as well as Western liturgies, knows the holy land and its culture like the back of his hand because of his regular pilgrimages there, and his orthodoxy is rock-solid.

[quote="Lisa1967, post:11, topic:316116"]

[/quote]

CIC Can. 332 states for the one elected to be Pope: "If the person elected lacks episcopal character, however, he is to be ordained a bishop immediately."

But to be a bishop:

CIC Can. 378 §1 To be a suitable candidate for the episcopate, a person must:
1° be outstanding in strong faith, good morals, piety, zeal for souls, wisdom, prudence and human virtues, and possess those other gifts which equip him to fulfill the office in question;
2° be held in good esteem;
3° be at least 35 years old;
4° be a priest ordained for at least five years;
5° hold a doctorate or at least a licentiate in sacred Scripture, theology or canon law, from an institute of higher studies approved by the Apostolic See, or at least be well versed in these disciplines.
§2 The definitive judgement on the suitability of the person to be promoted rests with the Apostolic See.

In practice the new Pope has been a bishop or cardinal. The last non-cardinal elected pope was Urban VI in 1379 A.D.. From 1059 A.D. In Nomine Domini required that the new pontiff be selected from the Roman clergy, or if no suitable candidate can be found, the candidate can be chosen from another church.

The 2/3 majority is needed, except for an impasse, simple majority.

[quote="Vico, post:15, topic:316116"]
CIC Can. 332 states for the one elected to be Pope: "If the person elected lacks episcopal character, however, he is to be ordained a bishop immediately."

But to be a bishop:

CIC Can. 378 §1 To be a suitable candidate for the episcopate, a person must:
1° be outstanding in strong faith, good morals, piety, zeal for souls, wisdom, prudence and human virtues, and possess those other gifts which equip him to fulfill the office in question;
2° be held in good esteem;
3° be at least 35 years old;
4° be a priest ordained for at least five years;
5° hold a doctorate or at least a licentiate in sacred Scripture, theology or canon law, from an institute of higher studies approved by the Apostolic See, or at least be well versed in these disciplines.
§2 The definitive judgement on the suitability of the person to be promoted rests with the Apostolic See.

In practice the new Pope has been a bishop or cardinal. The last non-cardinal elected pope was Urban VI in 1379 A.D.. From 1059 A.D. In Nomine Domini required that the new pontiff be selected from the Roman clergy, or if no suitable candidate can be found, the candidate can be chosen from another church.

The 2/3 majority is needed, except for an impasse, simple majority.

[/quote]

Surely non essential disciplinary requirements (Such as that he be ordained a priest for five years or be at least 35 years old) are waived when he is elected pope.

Fr. Mitch Pacwa meets all of those requirements you listed.

What Happened/Changed? What revelation/ theology changed?

(From Wikipedia) & (Catholic Hierarchy)
[RIGHT]Teodolfo Mertel (9 February 1806 – 11 July 1899) was a lawyer and a cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church. He was the last cardinal not to have been ordained a priest.
Pope Pius IX made him a Cardinal-Deacon of S. Eustachio on 15 March 1858. Two months later on May 16, Pope Pius IX ordained him as a deacon. Cardinal Mertel was never ordained a priest, and at the time of his death was the last surviving non-priest."[/RIGHT]

Date Age Event Title
9 Feb 1806 Born Allumiere, Italy
15 Mar 1858 52.1 Elevated to Cardinal
18 Mar 1858 52.1 Appointed Cardinal-Deacon of Sant’Eustachio
16 May 1858 52.3 Ordained Deacon Deacon of the Roman Curia - Other
18 Nov 1881 75.8 Appointed Cardinal-Deacon of Santa Maria in Via Lata
24 Mar 1884 78.1 Appointed Cardinal-Deacon of San Lorenzo in Damaso
11 Jul 1899 93.4 Died Deacon of the Roman Curia - Other
Consistory - March 1858: Created Cardinal
First Vatican Council: Council Father
Conclave - 1878: Participated

[quote="livingwordunity, post:17, topic:316116"]
Fr. Mitch Pacwa meets all of those requirements you listed.

[/quote]

I must repeat my incredulity that the will of the Holy Spirit as expressed by the holy conclave could possibly be thwarted by whether he has the appropriate college degrees or is only 27.

[quote="Inego_de_Loyola, post:16, topic:316116"]
Surely non essential disciplinary requirements (Such as that he be ordained a priest for five years or be at least 35 years old) are waived when he is elected pope.

[/quote]

The canons state what is necessary and to not use those criteria would require an indult. For early reception of presbyterial orders an indult could be granted by the Holy See (Through The Congregation for Catholic Education, the Congregation for the Clergy, or the Congregation for Religious in the Roman Curia).

Also, list of ages of Pope at election, none prior to age 37.
catholic-hierarchy.org/bishop/spope5.html

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.