Choosing the Virgin's name in confirmation

Can any one please enlighten me about choosing the virgin's name as a confirmation name. I heard you can not choose her name if not why? Thanks and God bless.

Whoever told you that was wrong. Of course you can choose the name of Mary for your confirmation name…many do.

I come from a very Spanish, very Italian area. Every year during Confirmation time, Mary or Maria gets picked in rather large numbers. Sometimes even for the boys.

It was my Confirmation name. :slight_smile: The Blessed Mother is our greatest Saint!

Not so much wrong, just that our pastor says that it is his theological opinion that how can we be like Mary. He feels you have to have a pretty good answer to as why you choose that name. I was confused my self because I have known many people taking Mother Mary’s name but for instance the name of Guadalupe, he states are they taking it because of Mother Mary or the place? I sort of see what he means, you have to have a really good reason as to why you are choosing that name. I would pick her name because I would want to be like her in her obedience. We whern’t sure if it was correct or not and if it is or isn’t where in cannon law or the CCC does it say so?

[quote="saintjuliare, post:5, topic:183420"]
Not so much wrong, just that our pastor says that it is his theological opinion that how can we be like Mary. He feels you have to have a pretty good answer to as why you choose that name. I was confused my self because I have known many people taking Mother Mary's name but for instance the name of Guadalupe, he states are they taking it because of Mother Mary or the place? I sort of see what he means, you have to have a really good reason as to why you are choosing that name. I would pick her name because I would want to be like her in her obedience. We whern't sure if it was correct or not and if it is or isn't where in cannon law or the CCC does it say so?

[/quote]

You said right there: it's his opinion..that's all..nothing more nothing less. It is not the teaching of the church. It is a name all who are being confirmed get to pick for our reasons alone. And usually it turns out to be the perfect name..God really has a much bigger influence than we give Him credit for. And that's just my personal theological opinion and I kind of like it. ;)

Not true, where did you hear it? you need to be getting your information about confirmation from a reliable source, not hearsay. Ask your catechists or pastor. There is no need to choose a new saint for confirmation, best to learn about the saint of your baptismal name, but if you would like to choose an additional patron you can choose any saint, male or female. And yes it is common in many Catholic cultures for both boys and girls to adopt Mary, Maria or some form of her name as a second name.

to assume that we cannot be like the saints, Mary included, defeats the whole purpose of the Christian life, which is to aspire to holiness, to sainthood, to perfection, as we have been commanded in the gospels. No it is not likely we are much like her now, but it is not required to be a saint to ask for confirmation, we are confirmed so that with the Gifts of the Holy Spirit we may work toward our sanctification in cooperation with the grace of Christ.

my guess is you have not completely understood what your pastor is saying, and that actually he is trying to inspire you to learn all you can about the saint you choose, and know why that name is a good choice.

Wow! Thanks for all the insight. It is actuly a descusion the deacon, the pastor and my self where having. A lot of people where confused as to what name to pick, our students that is and the father gave his opinion and said it could be that of our new bishop but who knows, is what he said. I think in a sense he wanted the person to be prepared for when the bishop asks why that name, like you said puzzleannine :).

I think in a sense he wanted the person to be prepared for when the bishop asks why that name

I don't know about your church, but I have never seen the Bishop ask anything like that during the Confirmation Mass. However, everyone should know why they are picking their Confirmation name and if they can't come up with one reason why they chose the Blessed Virgin Mary, that is just weird.

Not so much wrong, just that our pastor says that it is his theological opinion that how can we be like Mary. He feels you have to have a pretty good answer to as why you choose that name

I'm just kinda curious since my confirmation name is an archangel's. Is he also discouraging the picking of Michael, Gabriel and Raphael? If one cannot hope to be like Mary, how could they be like an angel?

I agree, I think they want you to put some thought to the reason for you choosing the name.

Umm…help? I have chosen a patron saint (Edith Stein) for my confirmation. But what is this “baptismal name”? I was born into a Jewish family, so I definitely didn’t get a baptismal name as a baby (LOL), and when I was baptized as an adult a few years ago in a Protestant church, no one ever mentioned a baptismal name.

Sorry if I am being dense here, but I am feeling like I’ve missed something important.

Our children don’t give it to much thought and since our RE program only meets with them once a week these children and the parents don’t take in to consideration their confirmaiton name. Yes our Bishop has asked in the past questions to our sutdents and one of them is why they choose the name. We are in the process of getting another bishop and who knows what he will ask. As far as the name of Mary or the Archangel, I haven’t found any thing that states you can not choose that name. I would so much like to be like mary ever so obedient and pious. The deacon had stated that the important thing was to choose a saint whose example you wanted to follow. Even if we choose the name of Jesus, we are all called to be Christ like. Right? :confused:

[quote="sablouwho, post:11, topic:183420"]
Umm...help? I have chosen a patron saint (Edith Stein) for my confirmation. But what is this "baptismal name"? I was born into a Jewish family, so I definitely didn't get a baptismal name as a baby (LOL), and when I was baptized as an adult a few years ago in a Protestant church, no one ever mentioned a baptismal name.

Sorry if I am being dense here, but I am feeling like I've missed something important.

[/quote]

I am preparing for my infant daughter's baptism, and the parish priest is upset because my daughter does not have a saint's name. Is this required?

”A: No. All that canon law requires is that the name not be opposed to Christian beliefs: "Parents, sponsors, and parish priests are to take care that a name is not given that is foreign to Christian sentiment" (CIC 855).

Examples of names that would not meet this requirement would be Lucifer or Jezebel, as those names are too closely identified with enemies of God’s people. Secular names such as Taylor or Madison might not be historically Christian, but they do not reflect anti-Christian sentiment and thus would be allowable. The Church does strongly encourage parents to give their child a saint’s name or a name that represents a Christian virtue or mystery (e.g., Felix, Hope, Grace):

The sacrament of baptism is conferred "in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit." In baptism, the Lord's name sanctifies man, and the Christian receives his name in the Church. This can be the name of a saint, that is, of a disciple who has lived a life of exemplary fidelity to the Lord. The patron saint provides a model of charity; we are assured of his intercession. The "baptismal name" can also express a Christian mystery or Christian virtue. (CCC 2156)
If you wish to give your child a saint’s name and at the same time please your parish priest, you can give a saint’s name to be given at baptism. It does not need to be added to the birth certificate; the priest will call the child by that name only during the baptismal ceremony. The baptismal name may be used again at confirmation, thus more closely linking these two sacraments of Christian initiation.

Catholic Answers Staff Category: Sacrament Keywords: baptism saints canon law

I guess Father will really have his mind blown if somebody picks the name Trinity....

Of course you can choose her name. Even if, or maybe especially if, you are male, like me. :smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.