Chosen people...please explain

That is not true based on what I read in the section of the Talmud on it’s history. It includes all of the traditions of the Pharisees, not just their oral teachings so following it to the letter would be doing as they did as well as doing what they taught.

Well I don’t know then. Just remember as you read through it that a tradition is only bad if it contradicts (or nullifies) the word of God.

So if a tradition says to wash your hands before you eat, well that’s fine. On the other hand, if a tradition says to give your money that was intended for your parents as a Korban, that’s bad. :smiley:

[quote=Semper Fi]Judaism isn’t a race.
[/quote]

no?

You can join and start practicing Judaism, but to the best of my knowledge that’s only because of modern “liberal” Judaism. I could be totally of base. I was under the impression that a Jew was someone who descended from Judah. In fact, reen12, who was not born Jewish but decided to start practicing it, did not call herself Jewish. There was a specific name for her that refers to non-Jewish people who choose to follow the Jewish laws and faith.

He may have meant that the Jews are a race but Judaism is the religion?

[quote=Semper Fi]Judaism isn’t a race.
[/quote]

So what? If you read the tracts (especially in Sanhedrin) you will see what I mean. Without going into gory detail some of them deal with offenses that are criminal if committed by non-Jews against each other or against Jews but Jews can commit the same offense against non-Jews without punishment. These include not only robbery but murder. That is as racist as anything you will ever see.

Again, I am sure that these things are not taught anymore and that the vast majority of Jews today are totally unaware of these ancient teachings. And before anyone accuses me of making this up or of being Anti-semitic, go to any Secret Texts Archive on the web and read them for yourself just like I did. Be prepared to spend A LOT of time doing so. The Talmud is quite an extensive work.

Just remember as you read through it that a tradition is only bad if it contradicts (or nullifies) the word of God.

Exactly right.

[quote=Mijoy2]no?
[/quote]

No, there are black Jews who are literal descendents of Jacob in Ethiopia. There are Arabic Jews who are literal descendents of Jacob and there are ‘white’ Jews who are literal descendents of Jacob and there are the classic Asiatic Jews who are descendents of Jacob. Judea is a nation of people (not necessarily present day Israel), not a race.

**If man was created with no free will and only a select few are selected for heaven, then the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus was pointless. If the elect were already selected, then what was the purpose or the need for Christ to die for their sins?

If man has no free will, then God could have created man with theinability to resist his grace from the very beginning. I find it inconceivable that God would select man to hell to show his love and mercy to a select few. Just how would this demonstrate his love and mercy for the elect?**

**Matthew15 “9”: But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

“17”: And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

Revelations 12 “17”: And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ

Reve;ations 14 “12”: Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

Rev. 22 “14”: Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

Could these verses have anything to do with ones salvation on entering the Kingdom Of heaven???

1John 2 “4”: He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him"**

SARA

[quote=Semper Fi]No, there are black Jews who are literal descendents of Jacob in Ethiopia. There are Arabic Jews who are literal descendents of Jacob and there are ‘white’ Jews who are literal descendents of Jacob and there are the classic Asiatic Jews who are descendents of Jacob. Judea is a nation of people (not necessarily present day Israel), not a race.
[/quote]

How would we define the decendants of Abraham? I social club?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.