Chris Angel - Do you think he is a demon or possed?

Hello everyone,

I am not sure if this is the right place for this thread, so I sorry if it is not.

I have long wondered about some of the public magicians/illusionists and from the first time I seen Chris Angel, everything about him seemed creepy. He has his pendant that is suppossed to be his initial, but looks close to a pentagram. His magic tricks, while granted must be an illusion, look real and he portrays it like he is randomly walking up to strangers on the street and doing these things so if any part of it is real then it is definatly not of God.

We all know that evil exists and there are possed people, but I think that there are demons who take these forms and try to steal souls.

I also think the shows like “Ghost Hunters” and such while the people on there may not be intentionally doing so, or even with evil intent, are messing with evil spirits; we do not die and roam houses, we are going to 1 of 3 places Heaven, Purgatory, or hell. So I think that when they get voices, or experience things, its not good.

I am just a little freaked out by these things and when I am exposed to them I always pray, “Jesus, mercy” but I am guilty of watching. :blush:

Chris Angel is a very talented magician. Sleight of hand. Illusion.

I think he’s an entertainer with a schtick.

And if it/he and shows like his upset you, or put you in the near occasion of sin, then don’t watch them.:stuck_out_tongue:

No he is just a magcian. A very good one. But just a magcian. He has been caught out a few times. But thew vast majority of his tricks are so well done, it is hard to spot how he does it.
Which is why he earns the big $$$$

I think Chris Angel (interesting last name!) is neither a demon nor possessed, but rather a showman who is skillful at tapping into the current trend for magic, illusion, and escape stunts in the tradition of Houdini. Nothing more than that.

My personal opinion is that Chris Angel is an awesome video editor and entertainer.

As far as the ghost hunters…I’ve seen “Paranormal Activity” and that was very realistic looking movie…emphasis on MOVIE. If movie makers are able to make it look like something is dragging someone out of bed, then tv people can make it look like little lights are floating around and distort some audio to pass it off as a voice.

I think it’s all just entertainment. Just don’t do it yourself. That is where you can actually get into trouble.

If you want to ruin the illusion search up how he does it. There are magician forums like this, and they aren’t real happy with what he does. I’ll put it like this: his illusions only work on TV. Bummed me out to see how the grand illusions go down. Some is real, but the big impressive ones aren’t. All camera tricks. He’s a great showman.

If my memory serves correctly, he is Greek Orthodox, and seems to be rather serious about it.

Criss Angel has always been the first to point out that he is an illusionist; he doesn’t do real magic or have powers or anything like that. Even on his TV show he explains that everything he does is fake and a trick of the mind. He’s a very talented showman. He’s explained a few of his easier to figure out illusions on his show before as well.

I haven’t watched his show in a while, but I remember getting the distinct feeling that he actually does quite a bit of Catholic things. I’ve seen many of his interviews where he’s thanked God for all of his blessings, his family, etc. Overall he seems like a decent person, he just happens to have tattoos, dyed hair, and wears leather.

Ive seen Chris Angel once in Vegas, to be honest I thought he was one of the worst shows there. His illusions where predictable and easily seen through, I have to admit I was highly dissapointed.

I do not think he is either; he is a magician, an illusionist.

No, far from it. He’s an illusionist.

He doesn’t claim to have real supernatural powers.

What’s more, here’s a youtube clip of him exposing one of the numerous frauds that CLAIMS to have supernatural powers:

youtube.com/watch?v=8kAdZcbfiGY

So, I like him because he’s a legit illusionist. He’s not like one of those phonies like Uri Geller and the like that claim to have supernatural power.

…Just to be clear…there are many “decent people” who also have tattoos, dyed hair, and wear leather! :wink:

(Heck, how many little old ladies with dyed blue hair and fur coats do you see at mass? A lot at my church!):smiley:

Yes, I agree. Appearances are only skin deep; they don’t matter much in the real scheme of things. My apologies if that didn’t come across as clearly in my first post.

Well I am relieved to hear some of things that are posted here as to the illusions being shown as such, I just thought he and people who were his participants claimed it to be real.

I am not freaked out by the tattoo’s and leather; it’s the symbol he wears, which looks close to a pentagram - his initial A in a circle, and also how impressed people seem to be with him, as if they think he is supernatural, freaked me a little.

But I apprieciate a good showman.

I recently attended a mission and the priest preached very strongly about the occult and how many things have tie-ins to it. I have always enjoyed Harry Potter series, I have read every book and watched every movie and loved them. And when people would say “don’t watch them they are against our faith” I would think "No. They are no more than good entertainment and no more harmful than other movies I grew up with like “Bednobs and Broomsticks” or “Wizard of Oz”, but this preist laid out how the spells in Harry Potter are dealing with magic and some of the name (while perhaps not intentional, from the author) are link to satinists. And so after that, I am a little leary and was wondering about Chris Angel and such since I have thought it before.

Sounds like I may have just freaked out a little. And in any case, it is probably like I have always known, God is all powerful and nothing can overcome Him; evil only has the power you give it, meaning that when you are attacked (which I do know happens) then by saying Jesus name and putting your trust in Him, evil cannot overtake you.

This priest was quite mistaken. Incorrect. Just plain wrong.

Priests are not literary experts.

it’s the symbol he wears, which looks close to a pentagram - his initial A in a circle,

I’ve had occassion to comment on the usage of pentagrams numerous times now, but I will do so once more. Look up the history of the pentagram and it’s use as a symbol, you may be surprised at just how many times historically it has been used as a Christian symbol referencing Christian concepts.

I recently attended a mission and the priest preached very strongly about the occult and how many things have tie-ins to it. I have always enjoyed Harry Potter series, I have read every book and watched every movie and loved them. And when people would say “don’t watch them they are against our faith” I would think "No. They are no more than good entertainment and no more harmful than other movies I grew up with like “Bednobs and Broomsticks” or “Wizard of Oz”, but this preist laid out how the spells in Harry Potter are dealing with magic and some of the name (while perhaps not intentional, from the author) are link to satinists. And so after that, I am a little leary and was wondering about Chris Angel and such since I have thought it before.

The priest is as Cathollic90 rightly points out talking outside his field in this case. If he is going to maintain that the spells in that series of books are dealing with real magic I would have two questions for him.

1)Provide an example of such a spell and

2)Are we then to stop reading all books that feature magic, including works such as Tolkien’s or Lewis’?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.