Chris Christie stands by Gov. LePage amid backlash for ‘young, white’ girls comment

Chris Christie stands by Gov. LePage amid backlash for ‘young, white’ girls comment

After Maine Gov. Paul LePage made a controversial comment Wednesday evening about out-of-state drug dealers coming to Maine and impregnating “young, white” girls, Hillary Clinton and Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker condemned his comments and the Democratic National Committee called on New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie to renounce LePage’s endorsement of him for president.

On Saturday, Christie told NBC that he still stands by LePage, and that the Maine governor shouldn’t be judged by just “one set of remarks” he made.

“It doesn’t change a bit for me my affection for him, my respect for him, as a leader and as a person, and he’s a good man. And he’s apologized,” Christie said.

When asked about state and local policies in the works for combating substance abuse at a town hall Wednesday in Bridgton, LePage emphasized the fact that many drug dealers come from other states, and that they also often impregnate “young, white” Maine girls before leaving.

“These are guys with the name D-Money, Smoothie, Shifty…these types of guys, they come from Connecticut and New York, they come up here, they sell their heroin, they go back home,” LePage said at the meeting. “Incidentally, half the time they impregnate a young, white girl before they leave, which is a real sad thing because then we have another issue we have to deal with down the road.”

On Friday, LePage said he “made a mistake.”

“My brain was slower than my mouth,” he said at a press conference. “If you want to make it racist, go right ahead and do whatever you want.”

LePage also noted that “if you go to Maine, you’ll see that we’re essentially 95 percent white.”

See more at: northjersey.com/news/christie-positions-on-gun-laws-planned-parenthood-come-under-scrutiny-1.1488861

An unfortunate thing to say, he apologized and that’s the end of it. Now, if a Presidential candidate did it, some might be taken to task.

If that were the only thing he said it might be the end of it, but, unfortunately, it isn’t. The state is looking into impeaching him.

A Democrat probably could get away with it much more than a republican.

Quite honestly I can’t imagine a progressive Democrat saying anything like this.

cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/01/09/obama.reid/

cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/01/31/biden.obama/

Per the Vice President as well: nbcnews.com/id/13757367/ns/politics/t/biden-explains-indian-american-remarks/#.VpMmH0-KZVI and nation.foxnews.com/joe-biden/2012/08/17/top-5-racist-biden-gaffes

But we don’t need for this to be tit for tat; the Governor should not have said this. Perhaps there is some point though of people from CT. and NY. going to his state and selling heroin.

Too honest? :shrug:

Well, progressive democrats can say pretty much whatever they want without much consequence compared to republicans.

It depends on which side of the fence you are sitting on, for one thing, and I have noticed that civility and charity in the midst of disagreement has been lacking of late, to say the least. It’s disturbing to hear people being degraded.

There is a heroin epidemic going in my native state of Connecticut.
Many young people are dieing
Just google heroin deaths in CT if you don’t believe me.
If you are advocating the people profiting from this ,should be protected from criticism by virtue of their race then:
May God have mercy on your souls

No, I don’t see how you can get that out of what one said. Perhaps one did not understand what I wrote. And perhaps one could read exactly what Governor LePage said which at least seems to lend itself to hyperbole; though as Governor, he should have the well being of his state’s citizens as a first concern.

Yes, this heroin epidemic is in quite a few states if not many populated areas of the US.

I’m actually sorry I posted this now as everything goes a bit into partisanship. We should be able to discuss events without trying to make it always political. After today, I will shy away from posting on political issues that seemingly, can become a bit of an ugly discussion.

Every debate should not become party X has done this, party Y has done this too. It seems to hurt meaningful discussion of issues.

I think Governor Christie has acted with integrity in this.

definitely!

I think LePage’s main problem was that he was essentially putting the blame on a hypothetical *black *criminal class–the “D-Money, Smoothie, Shifty” he was talking about–for what is ultimately a problem of *white *weakness, *white *lack of moral character, and *white *lack of willpower among his *white *constituents. By doing so, he has ill-served his state.

Very good point. Too often, people tend to focus on the *supply *of drugs as the problem, when without the demand for drugs, there wouldn’t be a supply.

In the case of Maine (and some other states), there’s an enormous demand for heroin, driven by the drying up of the supply of prescription narcotics (which were often sold illegally).

The cutting off of the supply of prescription painkillers is a problem in and of itself, which is that people with a legitimate need for these powerful drugs can’t get them anymore.

The good thing about being liberal is never having to say you’re sorry.

May be the governor was misunderstood, if the local white girls needed insemination there are plenty of unemployed Maine males able to perform the service. You know he might just have been encouraging local patronage, Maine first!

Sadly, there’s been a significant shrinkage in that part of the Maine labor market. Hopefully, an injection of liquid assets into the economy will help stimulate the workforce.

Sad so sad.

Wow, CT alone had over 300 die from heroin in 2014.
Obama could take Exec Action on that problem, and not need any croc tears
courant.com/news/connecticut/hc-connecticut-heroin-numbers-20150712-story.html

I know you like to name drop Obama to gain cheap heat, but you’re going to have to explain the connection.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.