Chrism in Confirmation

Hi All,

Joltin’ Joey Javelin here! I’m new and I have a question. Is oil used as the chrism in Confirmation? I cannot remember if it was oil when I received my Confirmation a long time ago. Thanks!

Yes, sacred chrism is oil, specifically a mixture of olive oil and balsam.

Thanks! The reason I ask has to do with the 3rd Horseman of the Apocalypse where it is mentioned, “and see thou hurt not the oil and the wine” (Apocalypse of Saint John 6:6), meaning the 3rd Horseman is warned not to attack the Sacraments of the Church, however, he will still do such a thing, but the remnant who keep the Faith will preserve these Sacraments throughout the ages. The Sealing of the Holy Ghost through Baptism, while Confirmation and its chrism - oil - completes Baptism; and the infusion of Divine Life through Holy Communion - wine (Christ’s Blood).

However, we must also remember that Scripture tells us that the “continual sacrifice will be taken away” (Daniel 12:11), which is the Divine Sacrifice of the Holy Mass being ended by the apostate church eclipsing (merely hiding NOT defeating) the true Church, while deceiving most people to follow this apostasy. The anti-Christ will head this apostate church, for we are told about the “abomination of desolation standing where he ought not” (Mark 13:14); and “he sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself as if he were God” (2 Thess 2:4), both of which are references to the Deceiver overshadowing or occupying the Holy Tabernacle; and other Scriptural prophesies of this nature. Christ also tells us the elect (faithful) will be deceived, if possible (Matt 24:24); and Christ says, “But yet the Son of man, when he cometh, shall he find, think you, faith on earth?” (Luke 18:8). However, again, the remnant of the Church who still hold the true Faith will not be prevailed against, and the Sacraments will continue for them, for Christ told us, “And I say to thee: That thou art Peter; and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. [19] And I will give to thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven. And whatsoever thou shalt bind upon earth, it shall be bound also in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose upon earth, it shall be loosed also in heaven.” (Matthew 16:18-19)

I would suggest a solid, approved Catholic bible study of the book of Revelation.

There are many conspiracy theories out there, many wild intepretations of scripture. The Church is the sure norm.

I suggest Ignatius Bible Study, Navarre Bible Study, and The Supper of the Lamb by Scott Hahn.

Be careful where you get interpretations of Revelation.

Ah, it’s one of you folk…

The sacrifice of the Mass is not a continual sacrifice. It is a participation in the once and for all sacrifice of Jesus Christ. And that passage was from the Old Testament, talking about the continual sacrifices in reparation for sins. Christ completed this continual sacrifice, once and for all. The sacrifice of the Mass is not re-sacrificing Christ. We are participating in the same sacrifice.

[quote="1ke, post:4, topic:327043"]

Be careful where you get interpretations of Revelation.

[/quote]

I agree; a catholic friend does protestant bible studies and says "fantastic" (meaning exagerated) stories of what the second coming will be like, things like all males, even young boys will fight with swords and this final battle will take place at Armageddon, some place in Israel. My friends says we (meaning us catholics) don't know about this because our church doesn't teach us anything about the second coming and that Jesus will rule on earth for 1,000 years. Quite frankly, I think these people who are teaching these outrageous things are those "wolves in sheep clothing".

I'm glad that my Catholic church does not instill fear in people. No wonder this protestant bible study tells them its ok if you miss church on sunday - their probably all too scared to go with preaching like that! And no wonder they send the kids off to sunday school instead of them joining to hear the preaching.

Galatians 1:6
"I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel--"

Galatians 3:1
"You foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you?..."

Matthew 7:15
"Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves.

Mark 13:32
"But of that day or hour, no one knows, neither the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father."

I do read a TRUE Catholic bible (which is the only true bible), and it’s called the Douay-Rheims! The eschatological interpretation that I communicated above is very Catholic, indeed. It’s not “conspiracy theory”, rather, it is solid Catholic, and in many way Orthodox, eschatology. Furthermore, the term “conspiracy theory” is just a derogatory term used in an attempt to discredit a critical thinker.

By bzkoss236:

Ah, it’s one of you folk…

The sacrifice of the Mass is not a continual sacrifice. It is a participation in the once and for all sacrifice of Jesus Christ. And that passage was from the Old Testament, talking about the continual sacrifices in reparation for sins. Christ completed this continual sacrifice, once and for all. The sacrifice of the Mass is not re-sacrificing Christ. We are participating in the same sacrifice.

This is incorrect and a strawman arguement. First, I never said the Holy Sacrifice is re-sacrificing Christ; on the contrary, Christ’s Sacrifice is once and for all while it transcends time and space, and it’s brought to us on the Sacred Altar in a bloodless renewal by the priest. Second, you are incorrect about the interpretation of “continual sacrifice”. The Holy Mass continues to bring us the Divine Sacrifice in a bloodless renewal, but the anti-Christ and his apostate church will cease this most Holy of acts, yet the remnant of the true Faith (the eclipsed - hidden - NOT defeated) Church will preserve it and continue the Holy Mass and other Sacraments, but it will be very infrequent due to the Church being in catacombs.

I apologize for my misinterpretation of your post.

The wording of your post is from time to time used by fundamentalists who accuse the Catholic Church of being the Whore of Babylon and that we re-sacrifice Christ, etc. etc.

Second, IMHO, if any Bible were the TRUE Catholic Bible, it would be the first and original, or you could even possibly say the Latin Vulgate. Again, just my opinion.

No worries, friend. I also apologize if I sounded like I was talking down to you. I agree with your comment.

Also, I want to make a correction about my use of the word “eschatological”. I do not mean it in the strictest sense of the word; I’m using it more loosely because the times I mentioned above do somewhat closely precede the end times and final judgement.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.