Christ and Christmas are Vanishing!

At what point do we stand up for Christmas? It is starting already. Atheist Group is starting a Billboard campaign calling Christ a myth yet again. I know some Christian groups tried to fight back with there own ads but the media doesn't give us enough attention. Its so sad the it seems that only Fox News seems to talk about this. Maybe I am beating a dead horse but it really is bothering me as begin to grow in my faith as a new follower of Christ and the Church. I will never cower down to my belief. We need to fight the Good fight for the faith and make sure that non of Christ sheep get lost with these false messages. One thing to remember is it isn't Happy Holidays its Merry Christmas.!!!!

On another note not to be stumping for Fox news but atleast they have Father Jonathan as a contributor.

It's a problem for me too as certain of my family members do not wish to have Christmas cards or anything that pertains to the Christian holiday.

When I send people religious Christmas Cards I receive one back saying 'seasons greetings'.

People just don't want to hear anything about Christianity or see any references to it.

Now we are going to have a tax on Christmas trees.

Just be careful about who you vote for. We know why it has gotten worse as of late.

I agree with you and this upsets me very much too. It is rediculous how you are not allowed to say "Merry Christmas" in some places anymore.

A few years back, one of my nephews had a "holiday concert" at his school where the children sang songs in the auditorium. One of the songs to be performed was "We wish you a merry Christmas," however, the school changed the song to "We wish you a happy holiday." This is something that upset many parents (the area they live in is mostly Christian, predominantly Catholic) and people started to complain. Ever since that year, the concerts end every year with the children singing loudly and beautifully "We wish you a Merry Christmas!" So basically from this little story, one way to combat this secularism is by getting together, and letting our voices be heard. Take up petitions, get one of those "Keep Christ in Christmas" magnets, wear a pin that says "It's OK to say Merry Christmas to me" etc etc... Raise awareness, in other words. And most importantly, pray. Pray for those people who are against us to find Christ.

[quote="Lisa44, post:2, topic:263128"]

[/quote]

It's been delayed.
abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2011/11/obama-administration-to-delay-new-15-cent-christmas-tree-fee/

This is why I have a big nativity scene in front of my yard every Christmas!

[quote="greenpatrick125, post:5, topic:263128"]

[/quote]

:thumbsup: Great!

I am finding that it is getting harder and harder to even find Christmas cards that depict the true meaning of Christmas.:(

Christ and Christmas will never vanish. :)

The best thing you can do is to celebrate the season yourself and to pass that on to your children.

I don't quite undeerstand why "Merry Christmas" vs. "Happy Holidays" has become such a point of contention and source of strife. Where does the word "holiday" come from? "Holy Day". And what holy day is (almost) everyone celebrating? Christmas. I have always seen the two greetings as synonymous. :shrug:

Don't get me wrong, I think it's good to strive to not lose the use of the word "Christmas." But I also think we have to be careful about how we go about doing it. We don't want to assume that everyone who says "Happy Holidays" or "Season's Greetings" is some anti-Christian modernist heretic out to undermine the Incarnation and destroy the Church. Sometimes, people pick those cards because that's the only one with the background colors that match the kids clothing in the picture. :p

I guess I'm far more concerned with the materialism than on the message on my aunt's Christmas card or what the Walmart greeter tells me when I enter their store in the month of December. ;)

Actually, I have found just the opposite happening now.

Yea, the atheists are belly-achy; they always will, esp if they are militantly atheist.

But over the past 5 years or so there has been a push back by Christians over Christmas etc. And many do speak up. And people are feeling comfortable saying “Merry Christmas” etc etc.

Good things are happening. You just need to make sure you arent listening and getting caught up into that atheistic propaganda. :slight_smile:

[quote="Lisa44, post:2, topic:263128"]
It's a problem for me too as certain of my family members do not wish to have Christmas cards or anything that pertains to the Christian holiday.

When I send people religious Christmas Cards I receive one back saying 'seasons greetings'.

People just don't want to hear anything about Christianity or see any references to it.

Just be careful about who you vote for. We know why it has gotten worse as of late.

[/quote]

My experience has been just the opposite.

I find that the push back has been fruitful. :)

And remember, the Christmas tree is only a symbol, a tradition. It doesnt define Christ or Christmas. :thumbsup:

Something I’ve learned that has helped me. I keep the events of Christ’s life close to me by following the yearly cycle of the liturgical calendar.

It makes Advent & Christmas and Lent & Easter more memorial.

Daily Mass, Magnificat subscription, Eucharistic Adoration, EWTN daily homilies, are all very helpful.

And it isn’t even a tax. Its a fee assessed on the growers of Christmas trees, a fee that their trade organization requested be instituted.

As for this thread title, Christ and Christmas have not disappeared. Yes, many people seem uncomfortable with bringing religion into Christmas. Other than the Nativity story, Christmas in the US has largely become a secular holiday. But isn’t that true of the US, in general?
(I mention the US because I am not familiar with other countries. If you live elsewhere, please offer your insights!)

I favor the “speak with deeds, not with words” approach. Embrace Christ, but don’t disparage those who do not. I think a soft evangelism works better than a hard push.

Merry CHRISTmas to all of you…! My manger will be full force front and center this year. We as Christians may never lose Christ in Christmas but the on the fence believers are easily swayed these day and ages. Lets not forget that most of main stream media is against us…so we need to do as I said fight the Good Fight for the faith. We are all called to evangelize, that even includes the fringe Christians that we may lose. :thumbsup:

A merely secular Christmas lacks profundity.

Cromwell and the Puritans tried to abolish Christmas back in the 1600s; it was actually Banned in Massachusetts (really!). Nothing new and I don’t think the modernists/post-modernists (the flipside of the Puritans) will be any more successful.

If Fox News is the only channel talking about it, then it may be a clue that this so-called “war on Christmas” is a “manufactured controversy.” The fact of the matter is, there is PLENTY of “mainstream” news coverage of Target and other retailers opening on THANKSGIVING DAY - which will inevitably lead to, that’s right, opening on CHRISTMAS DAY. I don’t recall anyone at Fox News being outraged about that - maybe they could give some airtime to the guy who started the Facebook page to Save Thanksgiving. Just a thought. :popcorn:

Who’s boycotting Target this year? Anyone? …crickets…

[quote="Matrix_Refugee, post:14, topic:263128"]
Cromwell and the Puritans tried to abolish Christmas back in the 1600s; it was actually Banned in Massachusetts (really!). Nothing new and I don't think the modernists/post-modernists (the flipside of the Puritans) will be any more successful.

[/quote]

Well, Charles II had Cromwell's corpse exhumed from Westminster Abbey and then had it posthumously executed. His body was tossed into a pit and his head was stuck on a pike above Westminster Hall for a l-o-n-g time, so it was kind of like the first outdoor Christmas decoration (and the first one that was left up too long). I've thought about trying to do something similar with a mannequin head representing him on my rooftop. It would be popular at least with the Irish side of my family, but I'd probably have to explain the reference to too many people, including the police. Maybe next Hallowe'en instead of Christmas. :)

Yeah, sounds more like a Halloween decoration to me… though I suupooose you could put it in the spirit of “The Nightmare Before Christmas”. :wink:

[quote="greenpatrick125, post:5, topic:263128"]

[/quote]

God bless you. :)

I am an atheist who celebrates Christmas. My wife and I put up a tree, lights, etc. We visit family and enjoy a happy gathering and feast on Christmas day. We watch Christmas movies, put out stockings, and exchange gifts. We do not really participate any any religious aspects of the holiday though.

I am not offended if someone tells me merry Christmas. I also wouldn’t be offended if someone wished me a happy Ramadon, although this has never happened.

I don’t agree with attacks on people saying merry Christmas, etc. I don’t really look at any differently than someone saying happy Halloween. I do understand why people have a problem with overtly religious symbols (a cross, manger, baby Jesus, minorah, etc) on public property. I do not have any problem with a Christmas tree on public property as it is a secular Christmas decoration and I don’t see how it is offensive.

Also, as an FYI, a bit of trivia for you. The phrase “merry Christmas” was not really commonly used until it appeared in the well-known Dickens novella “A Christmas Carol”. I’m guessing people likely said “happy Christmas” before that. On a personal note I love that book and read it every few years in December.

Woman told to remove Christmas lights to avoid offending non-Christian neighbours!

telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/3759858/Woman-told-to-remove-Christmas-lights-to-avoid-offending-non-Christian-neighbours.html

Merry Christmas EVERYBODY: Council puts up lights for Hindus and Muslims so they don’t miss out on the festive spirit!

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1331138/Merry-Christmas-EVERYBODY-Council-puts-lights-Hindus-Muslims-too.html

Row as Christmas lights renamed!

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4398680.stm

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.