Christ as God in the Bible (evidence for our Muslim members)

I have seen numerous posts on here by Muslims claiming that the Bible does not make it clear that Jesus is the Son of God, ie God himself. I will give you some quotes from the Bible that make it extremely clear that Jesus IS in fact clearly established as God in the Bible. Now I certainly won’t be able to post ALL the verses that say this, as there are too many and even if I look for a long time I am sure I will miss some. This is all from the Jerusalem Bible translation, if anyone was curious.

Let us start with the Holy Gospel according to Matthew.

Matthew makes a reference to Hosea 11:1, saying “This was to fulfull what the Lord had spoken through the prophet: I called my son out of Egypt” [Matt. 2:15]

"As soon as Jesus was baptized he came up from the water, and suddenly the heavens opened and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and coming down on him. And a voice spoke from heaven, ‘This is my Son, the Beloved; my favor rests on him.’ " [Matt. 3:16,17]
Here we have proof of not only Jesus as the Son of God, but we see the Holy Spirit too; evidence of the Trinity. We have the Son being baptized, the Spirit coming over him and the Father speaking from Heaven.

From the sermon on the mount:
“It is not those who say to me ‘Lord, Lord,’ who will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the person who does the will of my Father in heaven. When the day comes many will say to me 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, cast out demons in your name, work many miracles in your name?’ The I shall tell them to their faces: I have never known you; away from me, you evil men!” [Matt. 7:21-23]

"When he reached the country of Gadarenes on the other side, two demoniacs came toward him out of the tombs–creatures so fierce that no one could pass that way. They stood there shouting, ‘What do you want with us, Son of God?’ " [Matt. 8:28-30]

Jesus speaking:
“Everything has been entrusted to me by my Father; and no one knows the Son except the Father, just as no one knows the Father except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.” [Matt. 11:27]

Jesus walks on the water:
"In the fourth watch of the night, he went toward them, walking on the lake, and when the disciples saw him walking on the lake they were terrified. ‘It is a ghost,’ they said, and cried out in fear. But at once Jesus called to them, saying, ‘Courage! It is I! Do not be afraid.’ It was Peter who answered. ‘Lord,’ he said, if it is you, tell me to come to you across the water.’ ‘Come’, said Jesus. Then Peter got out of the boat and started walking toward Jesus across the water, but as soon as he felt the force of the wind, he took fright and began to sink. ‘Lord! Save me!’ he cried. Jesus put out his hand at once and held him. ‘Man of little faith,’ he said, ‘why did you doubt?’ And as they got into the boat the wind dropped. The men in the boat bowed down before him and said, ‘Truly, you are the Son of God.’ " [Matt. 14: 25-33]

"When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi he put this question to the disciples, ‘Who do people say the Son of Man is?’ And they said, ‘Some say he is John the Baptist, some Elijah, and others Jeremiah or one of the other prophets.’ ‘But you,’ he said, ‘who do you say I am?’ Then Simon Peter spoke up, ‘You are the Christ,’ he said, ‘the Son of the living God.’ Jesus replied, ‘Simon son of Jonah, you are a happy man! Because it was not flesh and blood that revealed this to you but my Father in heaven. So now I say to you: You are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of the underworld can never hold out against it.’ " [Matt. 16:13-19]

"He [Peter] was still speaking when suddenly a bright cloud covered them with shadow, and from the cloud there came a voice which said, ‘This is my Son, the Beloved; he enjoys my favor. Listen to him.’ " [Matt. 17:5]

After the Resurrection:
"Jesus came up and spoke to them [the Apostles]. He said, ‘Go, therefore, make disciples of all the nations; baptize them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teach them to observe all the commands I gave you. And know that I am with you always; yes, to the end of time.’ " [Matt. 28:18-20]
Proof of the Trinity.

0 Likes

The Holy Gospel according to Mark. (It must be said that this Gospel is very similar to Matthew’s and many examples from the first post are repeated in this Gospel, with slightly different wording.)

“The beginning of the Good News about Jesus Christ, the Son of God.” [Mark 1:1]

The Holy Gospel according to Luke.

Gabriel speaking to Mary:
“You are to concieve and bear a son, and you must name him Jesus. He will be great and will be called Son of the Most High.” [Luke 1:31,32]

Elizabeth speaking to Mary:
“Why should I be honored with a visit from the mother of my Lord?” [Luke 1:43]

“Judas, you are betraying the Son of Man with a kiss?” [Luke 22:48]

The thiefs on the cross:
" One of the criminals hanging there abused him. ‘Are you not the Christ?’ he said. ‘Save yourself and us as well.’ But the other spoke up and rebuked him. ‘Have you no fear of God at all?’ he said. ‘You got the same sentance as he did, but in our case we deserved it: we are paying for what we did. But this man has done nothing wrong. Jesus,’ he said, ‘remember me when you come into your kingdom.’ ‘Indeed, I promise you,’ he replied, ‘today you will be with me in paradise.’ " [Luke 23:39-43]

“Yes, it is true. The Lord has risen and has appeared to Simon.” [Luke 24:34]

The Holy Gospel according to John.

“In the beginning there was the Word: the Word was with God and the Word was God.” [John 1:1]

“Yes, God loved the world so much that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him may not be lost but may have eternal life.” [John 3:16]

“The Father loves the Son and has entrusted everything to him. Anyone who believes in the son has eternal life…” [Luke 3:35]

“Mine is not a kingdom of this world; if my kingdom were of this world, my men would have fought to prevent my being surrendered to the Jews. But my kingdom is not of this kind.” [Luke 18:36]

After the Resurrection:
“So Mary of Magdala went and told the disciples that she had seen the Lord and that he had said these things to her.” [Luke 20:18]

" ‘Give me your hand; put it into my side. Doubt no longer but believe.’ Thomas replied, ‘My Lord and my God!’ " [Luke 20:27,28]

“These are recorded so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the son of God, and that believing this you may have life through his name.” [Luke 20:30,31]

There are many other times throughout the Gospels and epistles where Jesus is referred to as “Lord”. I will post up some quotes from Revelation later that reiterates Jesus as God.

0 Likes

Don’t forget, Jesus forgives sins! Only God can forgive sins.

0 Likes

It’s useless, anyway. They’re just going to go straight from “Bible as evidence of our teachings” mode to “Bible was inexplicably corrupted by the Jews” mode whenever it’s something they don’t like.

0 Likes

C’mon, theres no reason to get nasty :/.

0 Likes

[quote=exoflare]It’s useless, anyway. They’re just going to go straight from “Bible as evidence of our teachings” mode to “Bible was inexplicably corrupted by the Jews” mode whenever it’s something they don’t like.
[/quote]

I know they don’t accept the Bible, but a couple have said that even in the Bible it doesn’t clearly say that Jesus is the Son of God.

0 Likes

[quote=Rand Al’Thor]I know they don’t accept the Bible, but a couple have said that even in the Bible it doesn’t clearly say that Jesus is the Son of God.
[/quote]

Oh yeah, I saw it too. I’m just saying… it won’t make much difference either way.

0 Likes

How about these?

“I AM the Bread of Life”
“I AM the Light of the World”
“I AM the Door”
“I AM the Good Shepherd”
“I AM the Resurrection and the Life”
“I AM the Way, the Truth, and the Life”
“I AM the True Vine”
…or simply…
“I AM.”

answering-islam.org/Who/i_am.html

RyanL

0 Likes

[quote=Rand Al’Thor]I have seen numerous posts on here by Muslims claiming that the Bible does not make it clear that Jesus is the Son of God, ie God himself. I will give you some quotes from the Bible that make it extremely clear that Jesus IS in fact clearly established as God in the Bible. Now I certainly won’t be able to post ALL the verses that say this, as there are too many and even if I look for a long time I am sure I will miss some. This is all from the Jerusalem Bible translation, if anyone was curious.

Matthew makes a reference to Hosea 11:1, saying “This was to fulfull what the Lord had spoken through the prophet: I called my son out of Egypt” [Matt. 2:15]

"As soon as Jesus was baptized he came up from the water, and suddenly the heavens opened and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and coming down on him. And a voice spoke from heaven, ‘This is my Son, the Beloved; my favor rests on him.’ " [Matt. 3:16,17]
Here we have proof of not only Jesus as the Son of God, but we see the Holy Spirit too; evidence of the Trinity. We have the Son being baptized, the Spirit coming over him and the Father speaking from Heaven.

“It is not those who say to me ‘Lord, Lord,’ who will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the person who does the will of my Father in heaven. When the day comes many will say to me 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, cast out demons in your name, work many miracles in your name?’ The I shall tell them to their faces: I have never known you; away from me, you evil men!” [Matt. 7:21-23]

"When he reached the country of Gadarenes on the other side, two demoniacs came toward him out of the tombs–creatures so fierce that no one could pass that way. They stood there shouting, ‘What do you want with us, Son of God?’ " [Matt. 8:28-30]

Jesus speaking:
“Everything has been entrusted to me by my Father; and no one knows the Son except the Father, just as no one knows the Father except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.” [Matt. 11:27]

"In the fourth watch of the night, he went toward them, walking on the lake, and when the disciples saw him walking on the lake they were terrified. ‘It is a ghost,’ they said, and cried out in fear. But at once Jesus called to them, saying, ‘Courage! It is I! Do not be afraid.’ It was Peter who answered. ‘Lord,’ he said, if it is you, tell me to come to you across the water.’ ‘Come’, said Jesus. Then Peter got out of the boat and started walking toward Jesus across the water, but as soon as he felt the force of the wind, he took fright and began to sink. ‘Lord! Save me!’ he cried. Jesus put out his hand at once and held him. ‘Man of little faith,’ he said, ‘why did you doubt?’ And as they got into the boat the wind dropped. The men in the boat bowed down before him and said, ‘Truly, you are the Son of God.’ " [Matt. 14: 25-33]

"When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi he put this question to the disciples, ‘Who do people say the Son of Man is?’ And they said, ‘Some say he is John the Baptist, some Elijah, and others Jeremiah or one of the other prophets.’ ‘But you,’ he said, ‘who do you say I am?’ Then Simon Peter spoke up, ‘You are the Christ,’ he said, ‘the Son of the living God.’ Jesus replied, ‘Simon son of Jonah, you are a happy man! Because it was not flesh and blood that revealed this to you but my Father in heaven. So now I say to you: You are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of the underworld can never hold out against it.’ " [Matt. 16:13-19]

"He [Peter] was still speaking when suddenly a bright cloud covered them with shadow, and from the cloud there came a voice which said, ‘This is my Son, the Beloved; he enjoys my favor. Listen to him.’ " [Matt. 17:5]

After the Resurrection:
"Jesus came up and spoke to them [the Apostles]. He said, ‘Go, therefore, make disciples of all the nations; baptize them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teach them to observe all the commands I gave you. And know that I am with you always; yes, to the end of time.’ " [Matt. 28:18-20]
Proof of the Trinity.
[/quote]

Hey

Ive heard there are other people in the Bible that are called “the son of god,” Is this true? And if so, then what makes Jesus (pbuh) more special then them?

0 Likes

QUOTE=Rand Al’Thor]I have seen numerous posts on here by Muslims claiming that the Bible does not make it clear that Jesus is the Son of God, ie God himself. I will give you some quotes from the Bible that make it extremely clear that Jesus IS in fact clearly established as God in the Bible. Now I certainly won’t be able to post ALL the verses that say this, as there are too many and even if I look for a long time I am sure I will miss some. This is all from the Jerusalem Bible translation, if anyone was curious.

Thanks for posting this :slight_smile:

Here we have proof of not only Jesus as the Son of God, but we see the Holy Spirit too; evidence of the Trinity. We have the Son being baptized, the Spirit coming over him and the Father speaking from Heaven

This is confusing…off topic: Even though you believe the trinity represents One God…each person in the trinity can be in a different place (Jesus on earth, Father in heaven, Spirit coming down from heaven to earth) ?

I’m a Muslim. So i read this like a Muslim. If you read it (i know its hard ) from a Muslim’s point of view…it sounds as if Jesus is saying, Dont call me lord, only my father in heaven is lord. To the exten that Jesus will tell them that he has never known them. This verse actually goes hand in hand with a verse from the Quran where it tells us what will happen on the day of judgement…that Jesus will come out and say " i have never said that I am God or that anyone worship me"

After the Resurrection:
Proof of the Trinity.

But how do you come to the conclusion that 3=1, when Jesus (pbuh) himeslf said that the father is greater than him.

0 Likes

[quote=Rand Al’Thor]The Holy Gospel according to Mark. (It must be said that this Gospel is very similar to Matthew’s and many examples from the first post are repeated in this Gospel, with slightly different wording.)

“The beginning of the Good News about Jesus Christ, the Son of God.” [Mark 1:1]

The Holy Gospel according to Luke.

Gabriel speaking to Mary:
“You are to concieve and bear a son, and you must name him Jesus. He will be great and will be called Son of the Most High.” [Luke 1:31,32]

Elizabeth speaking to Mary:
“Why should I be honored with a visit from the mother of my Lord?” [Luke 1:43]

“Judas, you are betraying the Son of Man with a kiss?” [Luke 22:48]

The thiefs on the cross:
" One of the criminals hanging there abused him. ‘Are you not the Christ?’ he said. ‘Save yourself and us as well.’ But the other spoke up and rebuked him. ‘Have you no fear of God at all?’ he said. ‘You got the same sentance as he did, but in our case we deserved it: we are paying for what we did. But this man has done nothing wrong. Jesus,’ he said, ‘remember me when you come into your kingdom.’ ‘Indeed, I promise you,’ he replied, ‘today you will be with me in paradise.’ " [Luke 23:39-43]

“Yes, it is true. The Lord has risen and has appeared to Simon.” [Luke 24:34]

The Holy Gospel according to John.

“In the beginning there was the Word: the Word was with God and the Word was God.” [John 1:1]

“Yes, God loved the world so much that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him may not be lost but may have eternal life.” [John 3:16]

“The Father loves the Son and has entrusted everything to him. Anyone who believes in the son has eternal life…” [Luke 3:35]

“Mine is not a kingdom of this world; if my kingdom were of this world, my men would have fought to prevent my being surrendered to the Jews. But my kingdom is not of this kind.” [Luke 18:36]

After the Resurrection:
“So Mary of Magdala went and told the disciples that she had seen the Lord and that he had said these things to her.” [Luke 20:18]

" ‘Give me your hand; put it into my side. Doubt no longer but believe.’ Thomas replied, ‘My Lord and my God!’ " [Luke 20:27,28]

“These are recorded so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the son of God, and that believing this you may have life through his name.” [Luke 20:30,31]

There are many other times throughout the Gospels and epistles where Jesus is referred to as “Lord”. I will post up some quotes from Revelation later that reiterates Jesus as God.
[/quote]

I’ve read that when someone once asked Jesus (pbuh) when the hour will be he replied that only the father knows. How do you understand this. IT is interesting to me b/c when people asked Mohamed (pbuh) the same question, he replied with the same answer “only God knows”

0 Likes

Shoot. I had a book that delt with this but someone is borrowing it. I think part of it was that Christ emptied himself, and that was part of it? I’ll check it out once I get it back.

0 Likes

[quote=Rand Al’Thor]I have seen numerous posts on here by Muslims claiming that the Bible does not make it clear that Jesus is the Son of God, ie God himself. I will give you some quotes from the Bible that make it extremely clear that Jesus IS in fact clearly established as God in the Bible. Now I certainly won’t be able to post ALL the verses that say this, as there are too many and even if I look for a long time I am sure I will miss some. This is all from the Jerusalem Bible translation, if anyone was curious.

Jesus speaking:

After the Resurrection:
Proof of the Trinity.
[/quote]

john 8:58
"before abraham came to be, I AM"
that’s pretty definitive.

0 Likes

[quote=jjwilkman]john 8:58
"before abraham came to be, I AM"
that’s pretty definitive.
[/quote]

If that is definite and extremly important (being that the ENTIRE belief is based on it) then why does it only appear in ONE Gospel…why didnt the other Gospel authors record this important statement?

The reason this is an confusing to me is that the Quran is clear about the concept of God. SO clear that it repeats the same statement in different ways many times. As a Muslim, its clarity that i’m just used to.

0 Likes

Shabbat Shalom, Faith101!

[quote=Faith101]This is confusing…off topic: Even though you believe the trinity represents One God…each person in the trinity can be in a different place (Jesus on earth, Father in heaven, Spirit coming down from heaven to earth) ?
[/quote]

Temporal location does not have a lot to do with metaphysical realities. Does that help?

[quote=Faith101] I’m a Muslim. So i read this like a Muslim. If you read it (i know its hard ) from a Muslim’s point of view…it sounds as if Jesus is saying, Dont call me lord, only my father in heaven is lord. To the exten that Jesus will tell them that he has never known them. This verse actually goes hand in hand with a verse from the Quran where it tells us what will happen on the day of judgement…that Jesus will come out and say " i have never said that I am God or that anyone worship me"
[/quote]

Poor translation. Better translation:

21"Not everyone [Faith101 - this implies that some will] who says to Me [very important whom is being spoken to], "Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. 22Many will say to Me in that day, "Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ 23And then I will declare to them [Faith101 - again, notice that this only applies to *some

] , "I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ 23And then I will declare to them, "I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!'
The flip side of this is that some who say to Jesus, “Lord, Lord…” will be saved. Some He knows. Don’t just read the words - think about the implications of the “flip side” of things.

[quote=Faith101] But how do you come to the conclusion that 3=1, when Jesus (pbuh) himeslf said that the father is greater than him.
[/quote]

This gets complicated, but the short answer is that seeking equality with God on your own terms results in damnation. God’s will is paramount. That was the sin of Satan, Adam, and Eve. Jesus did not see equality with God (the Father) as something to be grasped at, even though He was God (the Son) and was fully entitled to the claim of divinity. Jesus, instead, taught us how to be obedient to the Father on the Father’s terms. This is where it helps to keep in mind the theology of the Trinity - they are ONE, but separate. They are different, but the same. I told you it gets a bit complicated… :wink:

Shalom,
RyanL

0 Likes

[quote=Faith101]If that is definite and extremly important (being that the ENTIRE belief is based on it) then why does it only appear in ONE Gospel…why didnt the other Gospel authors record this important statement?

The reason this is an confusing to me is that the Quran is clear about the concept of God. SO clear that it repeats the same statement in different ways many times. As a Muslim, its clarity that i’m just used to.
[/quote]

Shabbat Shalom, Faith101!

You’re slipping into the error that all of our beliefs are explicitly stated from the Bible. That is the Protestant error. We also believe that God has revealed Himself through Sacred Tradition, which is more-or-less “how we read the Bible”. I believe you have something similar in the Hadiths. Sacred Tradition comes from how the Apostles, who learned from Jesus, taught their disciples. Our belief is derived from the Bible and from them, and there’s a whole lot more than just this one verse.

And if you read the Catechism, it’s more clear than the Qur’an. Give it a shot!

Shalom,
RyanL

0 Likes

[quote=Faith101]Ive heard there are other people in the Bible that are called “the son of god,” Is this true? And if so, then what makes Jesus (pbuh) more special then them?
[/quote]

This is true. Others in the bible are refered to as “son of God”, but no others are refered to as THE Son of God. Also, no others are called “the Way, the Truth, and the Life”. Does that help?
Shalom,
RyanL

0 Likes

Temporal location does not have a lot to do with metaphysical realities. Does that help?

no, but thanks anyway

Poor translation. Better translation:

The flip side of this is that some who say to Jesus, “Lord, Lord…” will be saved. Some He knows. Don’t just read the words - think about the implications of the “flip side” of things

You can also see it the way i stated before…just depends what background your coming from.
off topic: i thought all those who believe in Jesus will go to heaven?

This is where it helps to keep in mind the theology of the Trinity - they are ONE, but separate. They are different, but the same. I told you it gets a bit complicated… :wink:

Ryan, you will have to present your point of view to God when (after a long healthy life) you stand in front of him to be judged. Make sure you have it figured out in your head 100 percent.

Ive come to the conclusion that i will never understand the trinity, and as a Muslim, I can live with that. I just hope it makes sense to you

Shalom,
RyanL

0 Likes

[quote=Faith101]no, but thanks anyway
[/quote]

What I mean is that location is a thing on the physical plane, but it doesn’t necessarily mean that the spiritual reality is tied directly to it. God is not bound by physical location, even when He appears bound by our eyes. God is omnipresent, even when He makes Himself seen (in any form) at a particular location. Take the “burning bush”, for example, or the “Shekina Glory Cloud” which hovered over the Ark of the Covenant: Just because God was there, it doesn’t necessarily follow that He was nowhere else.

Make more sense?

You can also see it the way i stated before…just depends what background your coming from.
off topic: i thought all those who believe in Jesus will go to heaven?

It’s much harder to see it that way when you get a literal translation. You can go to www.biblegateway.com to see “Young’s Literal Translation”, which uses just the literal translation (with no emphasis on translating “meaning”). Also, no, not everyone who believes in Jesus will go to heaven. Again, that’s a Protestant error (and only a few of them make it - Baptists do, Church of Christ-ers don’t).

Shalom,
RyanL

0 Likes

[quote=RyanL]This is true. Others in the bible are refered to as “son of God”, but no others are refered to as THE Son of God. Also, no others are called “the Way, the Truth, and the Life”. Does that help?
Shalom,
RyanL
[/quote]

what do you mean THE son of God…how will you know the difference when all you have is the translation?

Ok, i got the sources in the bible, maybe you can help me look at the context and show how this is different from Jesus (pbuh)

Psalms 2:7) David is the begotten Son of God
Jacob God’s firstborn son (Exodus 4:22)
Solomon is God’s son (2 Samuel 7:13-14)
Ephraim is God’s firstborn son (Jeremiah 31:9)
Adam is the son of God (Luke 3:38)

0 Likes

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.