Christ Cathedral, Inside & Out

Update from the Orange County Catholic on the transformation of Orange’s Christ Cathedral. See occatholicnews.com/christ-cathedral-inside-out/

Views of the Christ Cathedral campus are here: map.christcathedralcalifornia.org/vt-map/campus/

The interior of the cathedral is here: map.christcathedralcalifornia.org/vt-map/cathedral-interior/

Thank you for this post with links. I was looking online for an update but couldn’t find anything. I think it might turn to be very nice but I did have my doubts.:slight_smile:

Yes, thanks for posting. I am very much looking forward to going there soon!

Dodged a bullet, could have been worse.

No one is saying much about the actual design of the cathedral.

One thing I find very interesting – and don’t know how it will feel at Mass – is having the altar in the center with pews on the sides, choir style. I’ve been to Mass in a small chapel set up that way and it was lovely, but I think it will feel quite different in a large church. No question about the priest facing the people or not – whichever side of the altar he’s on, the people will be to the sides.

Many thanks for the update.

My guess is that we’ll be seeing it on EWTN soon enough.

I still can’t figure out how they went bankrupt with all the packed crowds they had there. No offense to anyone but “The Hour of Power” had some magnificent music and inspirational speakers. Or maybe it was all downhill after Rev. Schuller retired.

Los Angeles Cathedral is partly that way, as you may already know. I personally don’t like the idea but as long as it (the altar) doesn’t start turning in circles i’m ok with it.

Yeah – Catholics could’ve designed it! ba-dum-tiss

Suscipe - Have you been to Mass in the arena during LA Religious Ed Congress? It’s a similar set up, almost in the round. I believe that’s how Christ the Light Cathedral in Oakland, CA is set up as well.

WilT - The LA Cathedral is more of a Cruciform design, as found in St. Peter’s Basilica. I’m not quite sure how to describe Christ Cathedral since the building’s shape is more of a diamond than a cross.

Here’s a video from the Orange diocese addressing the altar: vimeo.com/106354152

More videos can be found here: vimeo.com/christcathedral/videos

Yes, I have. But looking at this, it’s not in the round. The pews are to the left and right of the altar but not to the front or back. (Unless I’m seeing it completely wrong.)

I’ve attached an image (I hope) from the video. You see the priest standing on one side of the altar with the congregation to his left and right and no one in front of him or behind him.

Does the choir loft (behind the ambo) count as the congregation? I don’t imagine the upper part of the cathedra side would be used for overflow (with chairs), but I could be wrong. :shrug:

I used to watch that show over 20 years ago back when I was considering conversion to Christianity but was unsure at the time what kind of Christian to be. So I find this conversion of the Crystal Cathedral to Christ Cathedral very interesting. We can think of it as being symbolic of conversion to the Catholic faith.

It was a time when we were supposed to treat all religions with an ecumenical spirit. Nothing unChristian about that. I attended programs in a local megachurch (besides the obligatory Catholic Mass at another parish) and felt it was very valuable in my spiritual growth. The Hour of Power was as well, along with one Protestant minister whom I listened to faithfully on radio on Sunday mornings. Unfortunately he’s dead now.

Well, the Cathedral looks OK but I suppose they had to work with what they had. I’m pretty traditional when it comes to architecture.

It’s not so bad though.

What are the replica stones I read about?

Some members of Crystal Cathedral were worried about memorials they had bought for their loved ones that might have been paving stones I don’t know. It was a little controversial and I did not know what had been decided. I didn’t know what the replica stones were?

Is the founder of the church still alive?

It will cost a lot to maintain that is for sure!

When it is finished, God willing, I would love to drive over to California and see it. It sounds beautiful - during the day and night!

It depends on whether they still retained ownership of the property. I believe all the property was turned over to the diocese after the bankruptcy. And you’re right, there is and will continue to be controversy (and a lot of hard feelings) over that. Probably as much as when the Church closes parishes and sells property to other entities.

7 Sorrows,

I think you’re talking about the memorial stones. See articles.latimes.com/2013/sep/14/local/la-me-memory-stones-20130915

According to Wikipedia, Robert Schuller is still alive though dealing with cancer. See en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_H._Schuller

They spent a lot on those stones! That would be a sore spot. They figured the church would be there indefinitely. That is nice thst the church has made them available for pick up or will ship them if the person covers the cost and they made the website.
Buying bricks or stones is a popular way for a church to raise money. I know our church did it. I had thought buying one, but after hearing about this I am glad I didn’t.

Are people buried in the gardens are just their ashes? I wonder what will happen with them?

Thanks for the links. Imagine starting your church out in a drive in. He really had a vision! I guess his vision will continue to live on as a Catholic church.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.