Christ died at 3 pm

I keep hearing he died at twilight…I always thought of twilight as early evening…Did the Jews mark time differently than we do today?

3 PM is the afternoon as far as I am concerned

Where in Scripture does it say twilight?

I am listening to Jeff Cavins a scripture scholar who also teaches at Franciscan University and he keeps calling it twilight

He has made some wonderful video teaching programs about scripture…I assume he is saying what was taught…This man is brilliant and very humble…He understands scripture backwards and forwards, and I don’t, but I am learning

Hi Redro,

Matthew, Mark and Luke all say at the 9th Hour (3 PM). John does not mention the time but Joseph of Arimathea asks Pilate to bury the body before the Sabbath, which starts at sundown. So there is no doubt that Jesus died in the afternoon but was probably buried at twilight.

Verbum

The man teaching this course is brilliant ,and knows scripture ,and has been to the Holy Land many times…I am wondering if twilight might be considered differently in that part of the world than in ours?

This video course is amazing and very loyal to the magesterium…It goes hand in hand with our catechism

Jesus was crucified on a Friday, which was the day of preparation. The Sabbath started at sundown on that day. As a courtesy, the Romans took down their crucified three hours before the start of Sabbath, so they would not hang over the Sabbath itself- at least that was the policy outside of Jerusalem. Those who were not already dead were killed at the ninth hour on the day of preparation. This gave the Jews three hours to prepare the bodies before their holy day started.

I think I figured it out…according to scripture there was darkness over the land until the ninth hr…It was starting to get light again when Christ pass away… perhaps and that is why he keeps calling it twilight??

Twilight in this sense could have a double meaning: to the real time and to the time between the darkness of the world and the fulfillment of Jesus as the true light of the world. Remember, by his death, the Church was born. Just as the first Eve was “born” on the side of the first Adam; the new Eve – the Church – was born of the “side” of Christ, the second and last Adam.

You could be right, some times there are deeper meanings besides the obvious in scripture

The Bible does not say Christ dies at twilight, right?

The Catholic Church does not teach that Christ died at twilight, right?

So…what’s your question? Thanks.

An apologist and scripture scholar.(.and he is a catholic scholar )whom I greatly admire ,and respect stated it

According to some scholars, the term evening (twilight) was used differently by the Jews in ancient times, and this is reflected in the OT passage about sacrificing the Passover Lamb. The Passover sacrifice was to be accomplished “in the evening” (as many translations have it) – but more literally the Hebrew text says “between the two evenings”.

The Jews divided the daylight hours into two parts: morning, from sunrise to solar noon, and evening, from noon to sunset. Noon begins the first evening because it is then that the sun begins to decline in the sky. Sunset begins the second evening – that is when twilight begins.

Jesus died ‘between the two evenings’ because He is the Passover Lamb.

The exact time of day for the ninth hour would be the midpoint between solar noon and sunset, which, for that time of year in the spring, would be about 9 minutes before 3 p.m. Jerusalem Standard Time (by our way of tracking the hours)

Thank you. I am doing a bible study of his in our parish, and wanted to be able to find out as much information as I can, to share with the others

Interesting Ron.

The exact time of day for the ninth hour would be the midpoint between solar noon and sunset, which, for that time of year in the spring, would be about 9 minutes before 3 p.m. Jerusalem Standard Time (by our way of tracking the hours)

Did you account for leap minutes over 2000 years? :wink:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.