Christ died for me

Christ died for me and the whole world. but how and what did it do for you?

Christ has truly forgiven me. my sins have not been covered by his death but truly removed he has restord me to what he created me to be and Christ dwells in my heart and gives me the strength to know him and love him.

This is why Christ died for me.

Now obviously there are some who believe different? how and why did Christ die for you?

If you belive he covers you how do you come to this conclusion if you believe he dosnt then what did Christ do for you 2000 years ago

Christ died for me so that I can have the opportunity to be united to God. The gates of Heaven were closed before the death of Jesus. They are now open for us to enter.

Christ’s blood has cleansed me of my sin. I don’t believe He just covers my sin. I believe He completely gets rid of my sin. Because Jesus died for us, we can be baptized into His death and resurrection. With that baptism we are cleansed from original sin. And if a person is baptized later in life they are cleansed from their original sin and from their actual sin. We can all profit from the death of Christ as long as we are baptized into His death and resurrection. Just keep in mind that baptism isn’t always with water, although that is the way that Jesus told us; “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God." Think of the good thief on the cross, his was a batism of desire. There is also baptism of blood. We can start a whole other thread on the subject of baptism.

Odell, do you mean that Christ died and has removed all our sins or do you mean that He died to redeem us by meriting the graces that can make us worthy of salvation?

mdcpensive1

Good point. I mean he redeemed us by giving the grace that CAN make us worthy of salvation we just have to respond to that grace

Sorry for the confussion

Amen!

No confussion here. :wink: We’re Catholic. We don’t think OSAS. We also believe in the 7 Sacraments. Confession and Holy Communion is what keeps us on the path to holiness and it’s what makes us worthy of eternal salvation.

For what it’s worth…

Martin Luther taught Christ died to cover the underlying filth that remains, i.e. a cloak of righteousness over the sin that remains. Then we reach heaven by a forensic declaration of innocence by God, even though the underlying stains remain.

I believe Luther said something to the effect of even a just man still has his left foot in sin, in reference to this remaining uncleanliness even after true repentance.

Martin Luther was wrrrrrroooong

umm, I think he knows. :wink:

I know. I’m just hoping a Protestant would bite,

Ohwell

• :yup: - - - :wink:

But I’ve had so many bites already it hurts. :frowning: But I guess I could think like Father Corapi,
“No pain, no gain. No cross, no crown. No gall, no glory!” :smiley: And all Glory to God! :thumbsup:

Jesus’ life, death on the cross and resurrection have done everything for me. Through faith I believe I have been reborn with a new nature. Whereas previously I was a slave to sin, I have now been freed so that I can do things that God wants. My past sins have been forgiven and I have confidence that future sins will be forgiven, through faith, relying on His mediation. Even though I am not perfect and can still sin, I know that God accepts me for Christ’s sake.

Jesus has satisfied the covenant of obedience for me that Adam broke. It was necessary that a man fulfil that covenant by perfectly obeying God. As man, Jesus could obey for us, just as Adam, our first ancestor disobeyed, and as God his obedience is of infinite value and can redeem everyone who comes to Him in faith.

Jesus showed me God and that God’s love and mercy are as infinite as His justice. He showed us true love by freely dying because of our sins. He has shown us the way to live in a manner truly pleasing to God.

Through Jesus the Holy Spirit was sent to guide, teach and comfort me. Through Jesus I can count myself adopted of God.

What is there that Jesus has don’t for me?

Did Jesus keep the law so you don’t have to?

And you said he died to guide you, how? does he give you the grace to guide him? And what if he all of a sudden he dosnt become your guide in a particullar instant what then?

Christ obeyed perfectly because we can’t. That doesn’t mean we can wantonly disregard it but it recognizes that we will always have at least minor errors. Our obligation is to love God and love others simply because He wants us to.

He guides through His word in scripture and through the the indwelling of the Holy Spirit through whom Jesus is also with me.

How would you interpret these verses?

**Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect. Matt 5:48

Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders 10nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. 11And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God. 1 Cor 6:9-11**

So did Christ die so he want see your errors?

If he kept the law perfectly for us then what does it matter if we willingly disobey him?

In this passage we are not told that we are perfect. If one lives habitually in sin then he is wicked and does not have faith. Sanctified in this sense talks about the new spirit infused at regeneration and our being set aside to God, not being perfect.

I think it is quite obvious that Christ does not want to see us err. However that does not mean that we will not err. As John says:

If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar and His word is not in us. My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous; and He Himself is the propitiation for our sins; and not for ours only, but also for those of the whole world.
(1 John 1:8-2:2 NASB)

We should not sin but we do and have a Advocate by whom we obtain forgiveness. Just because we have forgiveness does not mean that we should willingly disobey. We should obey simply because Jesus tells us to love God and love each other. Paul was aware that what he was saying could be taken as a license to sin and wrote strongly against it.

And why not say (as we are slanderously reported and as some claim that we say), “Let us do evil that good may come”? Their condemnation is just.
(Romans 3:8 NASB)

We are not freed from the necessity of obeying but from the penalty of failing. However, simply because we obey does not mean we should expect anything from it. We are merely doing what we should do.

"He does not thank the slave because he did the things which were commanded, does he? “So you too, when you do all the things which are commanded you, say, ‘We are unworthy slaves; we have done only that which we ought to have done.’”
(Luke 17:9-10 NASB)

As Augustine says, if something is being done for a wrong reason, it is not being done as it aught.

Thus the end of every commandment is charity, that is, every commandment has love for its aim. But whatever is done either through fear of punishment or from some other carnal motive, and has not for its principle that love which the Spirit of God sheds abroad in the heart, is not done as it ought to be done, however it may appear to men. For this love embraces both the love of God and the love of our neighbor, and “on these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets,” we may add the Gospel and the apostles.-Augustine (The Enchiridion, Chapter 121)

newadvent.org/fathers/1302.htm

But does God see our sin or Christ righteousness
?

we are not freed from the necessity of obeying but from the penalty of failing.

Why is it even necessary then?

And why so manny wornings in bible?

However, simply because we obey does not mean we should expect anything from it. We are merely doing what we should do.

I don’t expect it I know I will be rewarded

God sees both and forgives us because of Christ’s obediance which we accept through continued faith.

Do you obey the traffic laws and other government laws? Do you expect a reward for obeying them?

To mind if you are doing good works because you are afraid of punishment or want to go to heaven you are doing them for the wrong reason. What are we told to do? To love God and our neighbour. What does hope of reward or fear of punishment entail?

**I want **to go to heaven.
**I don’t want **to go to hell or purgatory.

The focus of those reasons is what you want and not what God wants. That is why true obediance is so difficult. We are taught to look to see what we get out of doing things. But in this matter we should be doing them just because God wants us to.

There are many warnings because persistent sinning would mean a lack of faith. It would also give opponents of Christ an opening to attack. This is what Peter emphasizes. We are to be a light to others, but not for the sake of their praise or other earthly reward. We should do it simply because it is what God wants.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.