Christ is stumbling block

Where in the Bible does it say Jesus is scandal or stumbling block.

I think it says something like this: a stumbling block for Jews and scandal for Greeks.

But I cannot recall if I have the order mixed up.

THANKS!

I think you’re probably referring to 1 Cor 1:22-24, “22 For indeed Jews ask for signs and Greeks search for wisdom; 23 but we preach Christ crucified, to Jews a stumbling block and to Gentiles foolishness, 24 but to those who are the called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God.”

HTH.

CatholicRaven:

YOU ARE RIGHT!!!

THANKS!

Why can’t I be smart?

It helps to know Google. :smiley:

seagal

I tried Blue Letter Bible–but did a poor job.

Is this what you’re looking for? Many translations have stumbling block instead of discouragement. But I’m betting this is the passage you’re after.

1 Corinthians 1: 22 Here are the Jews asking for signs and wonders, here are the Greeks intent on their philosophy; ***23 but what we preach is Christ crucified; to the Jews, a discouragement, to the Gentiles, mere folly; ***24 but to us who have been called, Jew and Gentile alike, Christ the power of God, Christ the wisdom of God. 25 So much wiser than men is God’s foolishness; so much stronger than men is God’s weakness. 26 Consider, brethren, the circumstances of your own calling; not many of you are wise, in the world’s fashion, not many powerful, not many well born. 27 No, God has chosen what the world holds foolish, so as to abash the wise, God has chosen what the world holds weak, so as to abash the strong.[5] 28 God has chosen what the world holds base and contemptible, nay, has chosen what is nothing, so as to bring to nothing what is now in being; 29 no human creature was to have any ground for boasting, in the presence of God. 30 It is from him that you take your origin, through Christ Jesus, whom God gave us to be all our wisdom, our justification, our sanctification, and our atonement; 31 so that the scripture might be fulfilled, If anyone boasts, let him make his boast in the Lord.

StevenFrancis

THAT IS IT!!!

THANKS!

Skandalon means “stumbling block” in Greek.

seagal didn’t say google a bible. he said google. I simply typed in google “new testament jesus stumbling block” and up comes where in the bible you can find it.

As I was trying to communicate–I am not the brightest bulb in the box.

SORRY–and I truly mean both statements–not smart and truly sorry!

BLESSINGS!

THANKS!

No problem Jim, I was just trying to be a wise ***** and say it’s easy to be smart when you can look up the answers. Google is my best friend :stuck_out_tongue:

There are lots of times when I want to find a scripture passage but can’t remember where it is. I just put the verse, or part of it, in Google and it (usually) gets me chapter and verse right away.

michael card has a fantastic song about this concept by that name. it only just clicked for me now why he named it that. :stuck_out_tongue:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.