Christ, My Bodhisattva

(I put this article in the Non-Catholic Religions forum, since it deals with non-Christian and Christian ideas intermixed somewhat. The article is from Christianity Today, Vol. 51, No. 5, May 2007.)

*Multinational businessman and politician Ram Gidoomal talks about ‘translating’ the gospel in today’s world.

*Interview by Andy Crouch | posted 4/27/2007 08:29AM

You come from a Hindu religious background and attended Muslim schools in Africa, yet you became a follower of Jesus during your studies at university.

At the university, I was out of the family context, with the need for something that could make sense of the wider world in which I found myself. I started reading about Jesus. I was intrigued by the strong basis for his historical existence.
In my cultural context, the biggest religious problem is your karma: your karmic debt. What you sow, you reap. You come to this earth with a karmic account, then you die and you’re reincarnated, and that depends on how you’ve done in this life. When I read about Jesus’ death on the Cross, it wasn’t so much the sacrifice for sin that struck me as the sacrifice for karma. The Christians I met spoke of sin in this life, but that was meaningless to me. Karma was what mattered. So I decided, When they talk about sin, I think of karma, and I believe Jesus died for my karma, so I am going to accept him on those terms.

In the end, I’ve found I’ve been able to use my skills in business to help start some of these translations. We’ve produced a series of books and cds that connect with the South Asian experience. Fortunately, I was able to pay for publication, because in the early days, not many Christian publishers were willing to take on a book that talked about Jesus as the bodhisattva who fulfilled his dharma to pay for my karma to negate samsara and achieve nirvana!

What is a Bodhisattva?:confused:

It’s a Buddhist term. A Buddha is someone who is fully-enlightened. A Bodhisattva is someone who renounces Buddhahood so that He/She can help others to become enlightened. That’s the short definition.:smiley:

In other words, in Buddhism, a Bodhisattva is a symbol of infinite compassion.

I had to look it up

per google:

Definitions of ** Bodhisattva** on the Web:
Buddha-in-the-making, literally an “enlightenment being”- to keep free all beings from the coils of suffering. (JA)
www.biol.tsukuba.ac.jp/~macer/biodict.htmor bosatsu . A Buddhist intermediary who has forsaken nirvana to work for the salvation of all humanity.
www.gohotelrooms.com/cityguides.aspx(“enlightenment being”): in Mahayana Buddhist yoga, the individual who, motivated by compassion (karuna), is committed to achieving enlightenment for the sake of all other beings
www.yogajournal.com/newtoyoga/159.cfm“One who possesses the essence of enlightenment” – a deified saviour figure, a fully enlightened being who remains in the world in order to release other creatures from suffering existence.
www.trimondi.de/SDLE/Glossary.htmA Buddhist term to describe a person who is embarked on the path to enlightenment.
www.religioustolerance.org/gl_b.htma person who reached the final stage before that of nirvana but refrained from the last step in order to remain of service to mankind; revered as a saint
livingheritage.org/glossary.htmIn Mahayana Buddhism, one who postpones attaining nirvana in order to help others achieve this goal. In Theravada Buddhism, it is one who is on the way to becoming a Buddha. Gautama was called a Bodhisattva before he attained enlightenment.
www.mnsu.edu/emuseum/cultural/religion/buddhism/terms.html

Wow. Thanks Syele and Ahmisa.

After reading Syele’s post- briefly- I cant see the point in you calling Jesus the Christ. Do you accept he died on a Cross for all?

I didn’t call Jesus the Christ in this post. That was the article’s title, and that is what Mr. Ram Gidoomal believes.

However, I *do *call Jesus the Christ, and I accept that He died on the Cross for all. However, my interpretation of all of those ideas comes from a Buddhist perspective. Long story.:smiley: (If you really want to know the long story, maybe I’ll put the story on my blog.)

Well, maybe before you go through all that for me, I need to read up more on your beliefs to see how you come up with that.:o

Good night Ahimsa,

:slight_smile:

Hi
I appreciate you universalised approach. Buddah,Krishna,Zoroaster,Abarahm,Moses,Jesus,Muhammad and PromisedMessiahImamMahdi etc believers of a Revealed Religions were from one source GodAllahYHWH, they all must be respected as they received Word from Him and conveyed that to us human beings for our guidance.
Thanks
I am an Ahmadi – a peaceful faith in Islam bridging gaps between faiths/denominations/religions/agnostics

Thanks. I believe the Ahmadiyyah were one of the first Muslims to missionize in America.

Yes, I think so.
I love Buddha.
Thanks
I am an Ahmadi – a peaceful faith in Islam bridging gaps between faiths/denominations/religions/agnostics

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.