Christ or The Father speaking?

Hello.
In 2 corinthians 12:8 who is speaking? Is the Lord Christ or the Father?

Many thanks

Tom

St. Paul is speaking to the Corinthians

Sorry. I meant verse 9

Jesus told us that he and the father are one and he who has seen me has seen the father.

1 Like

In that case, the words “He said” in the original Greek are εἴρηκέν and this would implies a gender and case which are not in the form that is used for God which is θεός. The εν as opposed to the ός ending implies additional words to the sentence that show it is Jesus grammatically.

Long story short - Paul is referring to words from Jesus and speaks of Jesus’ power.

Source: I speak, read, and write Greek and used my Greek New Testament Bible for 2 corinthians 12:9

1 Like

Thank you.

Is this the only occasion in Scripture where Jesus is prayed to?

I wouldnt call this a case of Jesus being prayed to, rather it is Paul speaking of the teachings of Jesus to the Corinthians

I think he means the praying is this 2 Corinthians 12:

8 Three times I appealed to the Lord about this, that it would leave me
8 υπερ τουτου τρις τον κυριον παρεκαλεσα ινα αποστη απ εμου

I would assume that the weakness that the Lord speaks of in 2 Corinthians 12:9 is the humility and humanity which He as Jesus took on, and by which He was exalted, as we read in Philippians 2:5-11.

At a different level, it is through Jesus’ humanity (weakness) and His Body that Paul shares in Jesus’ divinity (power).

Perhaps not. Does the ending of Revelation 22:20 count as a prayer to Jesus, or just a statement of hope in His coming? I think it’s a prayer to Jesus.

The one who gives this testimony says, “Yes, I am coming soon.” Amen! Come, Lord Jesus!

The context is highly suggestive of Christ: v 8 contains ὁ κύριος ho kurios “the Lord” and likewise v 9 references ὁ δύναμις τοῦ Χριστοῦ ho dunamis tou christou “the power of Christ”.

The Greek verb in v 8 is παρακαλεῖν parakalein “to comfort, to beg, to beseech, etc.”. This is not generally the Greek verb translated as “to pray” which is instead προσεύχεσθαι proseuchesthai, εὔχεσθαι euchesthai or ἐρωτᾶν erotan.

However, it’s important to note that these verbs traditionally rendered as “to pray” are semantically related to notions of “asking, wishing, beseeching”. So it’s quite legitimate to interpret the use of παρακαλεῖν in v 8 as Paul praying to Christ.

1 Like

And we can pray to God in Jesus’ name… ?

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.