Christ said the end is near...............I'm still waiting.

Clearly, its been over 2000 years since Christ. So what does all this mean? :slight_smile:

Luke 17:37 (NLT)

37 “Where will this happen, Lord?” the disciples asked.
Jesus replied, “Just as the gathering of vultures shows there is a carcass nearby, so these signs indicate that the end is near.”

Matthew 24:28 (NLT)

28 Just as the gathering of vultures shows there is a carcass nearby, so these signs indicate that the end is near.

Revelation 3:11 (NLT)

11 I am coming soon. Hold on to what you have, so that no one will take away your crown.

Revelation 22:7 (NLT)

7 “Look, I am coming soon! Blessed are those who obey the words of prophecy written in this book.”

Revelation 22:12 (NLT)

12 “Look, I am coming soon, bringing my reward with me to repay all people according to their deeds.

Revelation 22:20 (NLT)

20 He who is the faithful witness to all these things says, “Yes, I am coming soon!”
Amen! Come, Lord Jesus!

“Being asked by the Pharisees when the kingdom of God would come, he answered them, ‘The kingdom of God is not coming in ways that can be observed, nor will they say, ‘Look, here it is!’ or ‘There!’ for behold, the kingdom of God is in the midst of you.’” - Luke 17:20-21

To God a day is like 1000 years and 1000 years is like a day. 2 Peter 3:8

It’s an analogy. Change 1000 to a million or a billion. All of us are one heart beat away from eternity. Every day 100’s of thousands of people enter eternity. The end of THIS life has occurred for each of THEM. Every one of those passages you quoted, has come true for THEM. The questions is, how many of them found the narrow road and remained on it.

This^^^

It means “get your blank together”. :smiley:

Jesus told us to keep watch. We need to have enough oil for our lamps, and mustn’t beat other slaves while the master of the house is away, lest he come at a time that we do not expect.

If Jesus were to say, “I am not coming soon, but in 70 years times 70” or something along those lines, then we might not feel the need to persevere until the end, but live our lives as we see fit until we perceive our end is coming, and only then return to the faith.

:slight_smile:

Actually Jesus said much more than the end is near, He said within the next generation these things will come to pass. Furthermore if you break it down into a more literal translation the word generation that Jesus used actually means 40 years. So Jesus literally said within the next 40 years these things will happen.

Whoops, does that mean Jesus lied? How can we believe Him if He was not correct about that?

Well it comes down to what Jesus was talking about, and for a lot of the things He spoke about when it came to the end of the world, He was talking about the end of the temple. To the Jews the temple was the world. It had three parts like the world does and it was created so that they could worship God there, as the world was created to worship God.

So Jesus was actually (in many cases) talking about the end of the world and linking it directly with the end of the temple.

What happened within 40 years of His death? The temple was completely destroyed. The stars were falling down from the sky, as the temple had stars and a sky all represented within it.

Now the temple being torn apart was simply the dress rehearsal for the actual end of the world, so don’t get excited and think the world is never going to end! Jesus is coming back!!!

I like this one.

Yeah i get that.

2 Peter 3:4

New International Version
They will say, “Where is this ‘coming’ he promised? Ever since our ancestors died, everything goes on as it has since the beginning of creation.”

New Living Translation
They will say, “What happened to the promise that Jesus is coming again? From before the times of our ancestors, everything has remained the same since the world was first created.”

English Standard Version
They will say, “Where is the promise of his coming? For ever since the fathers fell asleep, all things are continuing as they were from the beginning of creation.”

Berean Study Bible
"Where is the promise of His coming?" they will ask. “Ever since our fathers fell asleep, everything continues as it has from the beginning of creation.”

Jesus

Matthew 24:14

New International Version
And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.

New Living Translation
And the Good News about the Kingdom will be preached throughout the whole world, so that all nations will hear it; and then the end will come.

English Standard Version
And this gospel of the kingdom will be proclaimed throughout the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.

Ed

Well isn’t that the world today? Everybody knows about Jesus.

Is it wrong for me to want the world to end?

Hi!

…did you forget one?:

[FONT=“Garamond”][size=]4 but when the appointed time came, God sent his Son, born of a woman, born a subject of the Law, 5 to redeem the subjects of the Law and to enable us to be adopted as sons.

(Galatians 4:4-5)
…could you please search through Scriptures and all other sources and point to God’s timetable–who has been Given the “vision” or ability to pinpoint God’s schedule?

…the best we can tell, from what has been Revealed, is this:

8 But there is one thing, my friends, that you must never forget: that with the Lord, ‘a day’ can mean a thousand years, and a thousand years is like a day. 9 The Lord is not being slow to carry out his promises, as anybody else might be called slow; but he is being patient with you all, wanting nobody to be lost and everybody to be brought to change his ways.

(2 St. Peter 3:8-9)
…or if you rather:

4 To you, a thousand years are a single day, a yesterday now over, an hour of the night.

(Psalm 90:4)
…so by whose standards are you counting God’s Deliberations, by God’s or by man’s?

Maran atha!

Angel

[/size][/FONT]

Hi, Thom!

…but isn’t that Satan’s oldest trick–making us think that we have the power to “save” ourselves whenever we determine to do so?

…it’s that old argument addicts use, 'I can stop “xyz” whenever I want to stop."

Maran atha!

Angel

To want the end? I don’t think it’s wrong.

To try and bring it about (even if you think it’s what God would want…but has not directed)? Definitely wrong. <<<< this will be hard to prove!

Hi, USMC!

…but Jesus was not only talking about the “end” of times; He was also talking about the Kingdom of Heaven… and as offered previously:

[FONT=“Garamond”][size=]20 Asked by the Pharisees when the kingdom of God was to come, he gave them this answer, ‘The coming of the kingdom of God does not admit of observation 21 and there will be no one to say, “Look here! Look there!” For, you must know, the kingdom of God is among you.’

(St. Luke 17:20-21)
Now when we look into this in light of St. John 4:21-24 we find that, in deed, there would be many of Jesus’ contemporaries who would not have experienced death without Witnessing Jesus’ Word Unfold:

21 Jesus said: ‘Believe me, woman, the hour is coming when you will worship the Father neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem. 22 You worship what you do not know; we worship what we do know: for salvation comes from the Jews. 23 But the hour will come – in fact it is here already – when true worshippers will worship the Father in spirit and truth: that is the kind of worshipper the Father wants. 24 God is spirit, and those who worship must worship in spirit and truth.’

(St. John 4:21-24)
Maran atha!

Angel

[/size][/FONT]

As Pianistclaire says

Get your blank together.

You aren’t ready to meet God.

How many of us are?

Hi!

…there’s so much wrong with what you have just expressed!

…do you actually believe that “knowing about” is what Jesus intended… like that “believe” in Jesus and you have eternal salvation thing?

Jesus actually calls many who performed wonderful things in His Name… are you ready? “…evil doers!” :bigyikes::bigyikes::bigyikes:

…as for the end of the world?

…are you God? …are you Knowledgeable of the Finality of man? …do you Know what is in store and for whom?

…so while it may seem quite pious for “Christians” to want the end of Times to be here NOW, is that out of the goodness of their hearts or are they being swayed by “mercy killing?”

…so why do Jesus reject those who Call on His Name to “perform” for humanity evil doers?

…well, here it is:

[FONT=“Garamond”][size=]7 Hypocrites! It was you Isaiah meant when he so rightly prophesied: 8 This people honours me only with lip-service, while their hearts are far from me.

(St. Matthew 15:7-8)
…Jesus further qualifies this issue:

21 ‘It is not those who say to me, “Lord, Lord”, who will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the person who does the will of my Father in heaven.

(St. Matthew 7:21)
If it is God’s Will that Day of Judgment does not yet reach us, how can we insist that we know that we are “Saved” (so bring it on, bring it ON!) and how can we insist that there’s been enough time for those who are to be “Saved” to have been “Saved?” …what’s the rush, no more room in the Heavenly Mansions?

Maran atha!

Angel

[/size][/FONT]

As others have already said, it means, “do you have your act in order? No??? Well – get ready, then!”

Revelation 3:11 (NLT)

11 I am coming soon. Hold on to what you have, so that no one will take away your crown.

Revelation 22:7 (NLT)

7 “Look, I am coming soon! Blessed are those who obey the words of prophecy written in this book.”

Revelation 22:12 (NLT)

12 “Look, I am coming soon, bringing my reward with me to repay all people according to their deeds.

Revelation 22:20 (NLT)

20 He who is the faithful witness to all these things says, “Yes, I am coming soon!”
Amen! Come, Lord Jesus!

Actually, “soon” is not the best translation for the word ταχύ, which means “quickly” or “without delay” or “immanently”.

So… Jesus is not delaying His return; are you ready?

Well… don’t jump to conclusions just yet:

first off, your interpretation depends on what it means for a generation to “pass” (παρέλθῃ). Does it mean “pass away”? Does it mean “be annihilated”? In Matthew 5:18, the same term is used to talk about the passing of the heavens and the earth (i.e., creation) – that is, the end of the world. But, I don’t know of any Scriptural citations in which Jesus uses παρέλθῃ to mean “human bodily death.” So, it’s a bit presumptuous to conclude that Jesus means “40 years or less.”

Moreover, it’s important to think about the grammar Jesus uses here: the words ἕως ἂν have a particular implication in Greek (which goes beyond the simple tense meaning of ‘future perfect’ that these words take on in the Latin). In the Greek, they are used in order to express a particular indeterminacy of the time in which the verb (in the aorist subjunctive – in this case, “pass away”) takes place.

Finally, one might ask whether Jesus means “this generation of humans” or “this race of humans” (that is, all of humanity.)

In sum, then, I think it’s reasonable to conclude that it’s not necessary to think that Jesus meant “all this will happen and the world will end within forty years.”

The world ends 100’s of thousands of times every day for that many PEOPLE.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.