Christ The Eternal High Priest and Victim?

A new feastday for the Church?
I believe that since it is the Year of the Priest-a strong case for proclaiming Christ the Eternal High Priest and Victim as a liturgical feastday for the Universal Church should be proclaimed by Pope Benedict .
Christ came as Prophet,Priest and King

Today we celebrate the Feast of Christ THe King,this was ito state that Jesus is our King and all other nations are subject to His Kingdom.This was to counteract nationalism and a secular society that excludes God.
I think that there will be in the future ,a need to proclaim Christ as the True and only Prophet,perhaps to counter the growth of Islam.But someone else can put forward the arguements for this.
The one I support here is the one honouring the priesthood of Jesus Christ.
(1) I have been reflecting on the three roles of Christ and it reminded me of the events which we meditate on in the fourth Luminous Mysteries of the Rosary-the Transfiguration.I make an observation thatSts. Peter,James & John model these three roles which each apostle will play.St.Peter reflects the Kingship, as Jesus gave him the power of ruling His Kingdom here on earth.James played the Prophet role-it was he that spread the Truth of Christs' teaching-tradition has it that he reached Spain and that he paid the prophets'price of crucifiction-though upside down at his request.Then St.John reflects the Love of Christ in the Priesthood,He was the only apostle who "con-celebrated"with Christ as he stood at the Cross with Our Lady.(The above are my personal thoughts only)
St.Paul dedicates his Hebrew writings supporting the Priesthood of Jesus Christ-I will not quote them-read them if you are not farmiliar with it.
Next comes a spiritual giant around about the Council of Trent-he it was that helped reform the training for the prieshood-started an Order,wrote Liturgies for The Sacred Heart of Jesus & The Immaculate Heart of Mary and also Christ the Priest Mass,Office,Litany etc.I am refering to STJOHN EUDES.www.zenit.org/article-26639?l=english. He was beatified with St.John Mary Vianney!!There is more information about St.John Eudes on the internet and good books also.He got the Feast of Christ The Priest approved for his order and in the Diocese that he belonged.The feast unfortunetly became a casualty of the reform of the Liturgical Callander of St.Pious the Tenth.
In the early fifties a priest in Australia (a Redemporist) founded a society dedicated to the Priesthood,he asked the then Archbishop of Hobart ,G.Young(a leading liturgist) who was on his way to Vat11council to petition in Rome for The Feast Of Christ The Priest-he wrote back that it was not necessary as Holy Thursday covers this.!!(even Bishops do not get it always right!)
In 1986 Fr.Whiting again wrote personally(not long after visiting Rome) to the Cong.for Worship,he obtained this feast for his society with an approved Liturgical Mass..
In 1991 he again wrote to the same Cong.and got an offical approval for The Office of Hours.(Fr.John Thomas Whiting went to his heavenly reward 20/11.2006 as a member and founder of The Society of Christ Priest and Victim)
To his great delight he was also informed that the whole Bishops' Conference of SPAIN had been asking for this feast!Spain was granted their desire to Honour Christs'Priesthood!!
The Congregation proclaimed that this feast be celebrated each year on the Thursday after Penticost Sunday.
The Question is, why not petition The Holy Father for this Universal Feast??What do you think?St.John Eudes thought that this will bring holiness and fruitful vacations--was he wrong?
May the Mother of The Eternal Priest and Victim obtain for us this great blessing as she predicates her Sons'Priesthood.

I would not say that I'm against such an idea, per se. However, do you not think that each and every Mass which is celebrated on every altar around the world is the greatest and most pertinent memorial of the Priesthood and Victimhood of Christ - the Eucharistic Feast which is celebrated every day of the year (barring Good Friday & Holy Saturday)? Perhaps it would be more fruitful to re-catechise people on the great mystery which is the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass; then there would be no end to the celebration and recognition of Christ as Priest and Victim.

NCP you do have a point,but if you use this arguement ,then the Church might as well abolish most of the Liturgical Feast Days! In every Mass there is a reference to the Angels and The Saints,Souls in Purgatory etc.Why does The Church in it’s wisdom sets aside wonderful Liturgies highlighting these and reminding us of the different aspects of Christ,His Holy Mother and the events of our salvation history played out throughout the Liturgical Cycle of The Year?The Easter Triduum is spread over three days,every Mass celebrates the passion.death & resurrection of Christ, so a daily Mass could cover this,taking your arguement to it’s logical conclusion!Our humanity needs events and seasons that is the way we are made,the Mysteries of Christ are so far above us that we need Liturgical seasons to breakdown and absorb the events into our lives and consciousness.Transcendental experiences are best left to the mystics!
The Congregation for Divine Worship places the Feast of Christ Priest and Victim on the Thursday after the "Birth"of the Church on Penticost Sunday.I believe that The Church wants to hightlight the fact that it is Christ Priest and Victim who continues “to living to interceed” to God The Father on our behalf ,through the priestly ministry.This feast would remind those who share in The Priesthood of Christ in the Ministerial or “common” priesthood;of Christs’ faithful constant intercession on our behalf.As you say it is the Mass that is the central focus ,but Christs’ Priesthood envelopes our whole being from that Eucharistic life.We too unite in Christs’ perfect hymn of praise by our lives,living stones building a spiritual house for God to dwell in.
We might be unfaithful but Christ The High Priest is Perfection Itself.The scandal given by our weaknesses are covered over- “He was like us in all things but sin ,so He is sympathetic to us in our weaknesses”(loose translation).Celebrating Christs’ Priesthood highlights the fact that we go to(or not go to) Mass (speaking as a layperson) because who the priest is, offering The Mass .The priest acts in the person of Christ ,who is offered up at this Mass(His Passion & Death in an unbloody manner).This new feastday will teach and remind us of this and always be a means of keeping our hopes on Christ The Priest and Victim.

I forgot to mention  in the previous posting that the Great Pope John Paul II hightlighted The Litany Of Christ Priest and Victim .He mentioned that as a Seminarian he prayed this on a regular basis and recommended that it be prayed.(google the title,a few sites have this ready to download for printing if you have not a copy already)I suggest on  every Thursday it would be a good prayer to pray.
        I personally believe that this Feast will be a great catechetical means to what you NCP desire,that is an appreciation of Christs' loving Sacrifice at every Mass.The word priest comes from the Latin word pontifex meaning a bridge builder-from the moment of The Annunciation, Jesus became the link between Heaven and earth.From this moment he commenced his priesthood,it was why he came on this earth for--should we not have a right to celebrate this aspect of Christ in a special way,honouring Christs' greatest function by a fitting Liturgical  Solemnity?

[quote="karoleck, post:3, topic:177132"]
NCP you do have a point,but if you use this arguement ,then the Church might as well abolish most of the Liturgical Feast Days! In every Mass there is a reference to the Angels and The Saints,Souls in Purgatory etc.Why does The Church in it's wisdom sets aside wonderful Liturgies highlighting these and reminding us of the different aspects of Christ,His Holy Mother and the events of our salvation history played out throughout the Liturgical Cycle of The Year?The Easter Triduum is spread over three days,every Mass celebrates the passion.death & resurrection of Christ, so a daily Mass could cover this,taking your arguement to it's logical conclusion!Our humanity needs events and seasons that is the way we are made,the Mysteries of Christ are so far above us that we need Liturgical seasons to breakdown and absorb the events into our lives and consciousness.Transcendental experiences are best left to the mystics!
The Congregation for Divine Worship places the Feast of Christ Priest and Victim on the Thursday after the "Birth"of the Church on Penticost Sunday.I believe that The Church wants to hightlight the fact that it is Christ Priest and Victim who continues "to living to interceed" to God The Father on our behalf ,through the priestly ministry.This feast would remind those who share in The Priesthood of Christ in the Ministerial or "common" priesthood;of Christs' faithful constant intercession on our behalf.As you say it is the Mass that is the central focus ,but Christs' Priesthood envelopes our whole being from that Eucharistic life.We too unite in Christs' perfect hymn of praise by our lives,living stones building a spiritual house for God to dwell in.
We might be unfaithful but Christ The High Priest is Perfection Itself.The scandal given by our weaknesses are covered over- "He was like us in all things but sin ,so He is sympathetic to us in our weaknesses"(loose translation).Celebrating Christs' Priesthood highlights the fact that we go to(or not go to) Mass (speaking as a layperson) because who the priest is, offering The Mass .The priest acts in the person of Christ ,who is offered up at this Mass(His Passion & Death in an unbloody manner).This new feastday will teach and remind us of this and always be a means of keeping our hopes on Christ The Priest and Victim.

I forgot to mention  in the previous posting that the Great Pope John Paul II hightlighted The Litany Of Christ Priest and Victim .He mentioned that as a Seminarian he prayed this on a regular basis and recommended that it be prayed.(google the title,a few sites have this ready to download for printing if you have not a copy already)I suggest on  every Thursday it would be a good prayer to pray.
        I personally believe that this Feast will be a great catechetical means to what you NCP desire,that is an appreciation of Christs' loving Sacrifice at every Mass.The word priest comes from the Latin word pontifex meaning a bridge builder-from the moment of The Annunciation, Jesus became the link between Heaven and earth.From this moment he commenced his priesthood,it was why he came on this earth for--should we not have a right to celebrate this aspect of Christ in a special way,honouring Christs' greatest function by a fitting Liturgical  Solemnity?

[/quote]

I take your point to an extent - but I personally think that education on the Mass is the way in terms of the Church's liturgy to express the priest-victimhood of Christ. If the Holy Father is moved to proclaim a special feast-day to mark this, then so be it.

On a point of information, the word "priest" does not come from the word "pontifex". You are right that the word "pontifex" means bridge-builder, but it is a term applied to the Pope - he is the Pontifex Maximus, Supreme Pontiff. The office was an ancient Roman one, and during the Roman Empire it was just one of the titles given to the Emperors. The word "priest" comes from the word "presbyter", in Latin, which came from the Greek word meaning "elder". Of course, the priesthood of Christ was different from that of other priests - certainly, both offered sacrifices, but in the case of Christ, the sacrifice was himself. Priest and Victim.

Thank you NPC for your interest and valuable contribution,there is a copy of the Mass of The Eternal High Priest and Victim and The Liturgy of The Hours that has been approved by The Sacred Congregation of Divine Worship.It can only be read as a printout only unfortunately. Catch the web address,go to the Publications section and lock onto "Living to Intercede" and then print.There is good material there to use as a meditation and The Office of Hours can be prayed.www.christthepriest.com/
To Him be Honour,Glory and Power for ever and ever.Amen

Have any of you been following Fr. Mitch Pacwa’s show threshold of hope??? This talks a lot about Christ as the High Priest and Victim and that all priest are called to be priest and victim. They share in a priestly, kingly and prohetical role. Just a little bit about what being priest and victim is all about. A priest should offer himself completely to God. Remember since God is the only High Priest and is victim by the passion, death and resurrection all of us not just priest are called to be obedient to death, even death on a cross. By the way the topic is John Paul II’s apostolic exhortation Pastores Dabo Vobis. The Vatican II document on the Priesthood, Presbyterum Ordinis is highly referred to. Remember a vocation begins in the church, happens in a church and is a call and gift from God.

Tmancath,I am not surprised that Fr.Mitch Pacwa is teaching wonderful truths about the Priesthood of Christ and the priesty vocation.I think that he is a great example of a faithful priest and a glory to the Society of Jesus-and to think that he studied under "the sixties flower power of weird theology and liturgical madness!Shows that God can and does turn adversity into something positive.JPII The Great, loved his priestly calling,not only were his speaches and writings charismatic, in the true sense of the word, but his life reflected the Priestly Life of The Good Shepherd--all those hard international journeys throughout his life,looking for the lost sheep!!
Jesus said of Himself "I am The Way,The Truth and The Life.They reflect his three attibutes-The Way--to follow Christ is to enter into His Kingdom of which He is Christ The King.The Truth was The Prophetic teachings on how to live this truth and the spiritual life here on this earth.The Life was through His Priestly offering of Himself(and to follow His example-gave up His Life on the Cross that we might live!)) and then ordaining His Apostles -"He who believes and is baptised will be saved"to continue to give life to our souls through the Eucharist.We have to live and witness to this legacy and be priestly people to those we live with,as well as promoting His Kingdom and witnessing to the Truth ,as prophets of our time"Go out to all the world(The Churchless millions) and tell The Good News".A hard task but possible With Christ,In Christ and Through Christ,strenghtened by The Holy Sacrifice of The Mass.
I believe that in this age of the antichrist(Arch.Bishop Fulten Sheen believed this is now),these three aspects of Jesus in the Church is under attack.His Kingdom was attacked by The Iron Curtain_Russia and it's various forms,His Prophetic truths attacked from the outside and what is worse from within .His Priesthood smeared in the Newspapers,on the TV screens etc in fact any way that the media can-it is open season to attack the Priesthood.The other is from within,seeing the priestly vocation as a career,a lay run "church"in which the clergy preside,priestless liturgies(even when a priest is available) etc.We all are familiar with what I write and most would do it in a far more scholarly manner.
The problems are many ,But the SOLUTION to the attack on the priesthood is so simple and a good way to start is for The Church to proclaim a Feastday in Honour of Christ The Eternal High Priest and Victim.Once we value the Priesthood of Jesus Christ, it follows that we will also value His chosen priests and then our own royal or common priesthood.This logic was applied by a Bishop recently in a retreat that I attended regarding Mary,The Mother of The Eternal Priest and Victim, he said 'Mary is important because Jesus is important"The Priesthood and Victimhood of Jesus is important, therefore priests are important,so are all the baptised faithful sharing his priesthood are important!! .Praised be Christ The Priest and Victim.----Forever and ever.Amen!.

[quote="karoleck, post:7, topic:177132"]
Tmancath,I am not surprised that Fr.Mitch Pacwa is teaching wonderful truths about the Priesthood of Christ and the priesty vocation.I think that he is a great example of a faithful priest and a glory to the Society of Jesus-and to think that he studied under "the sixties flower power of weird theology and liturgical madness!Shows that God can and does turn adversity into something positive.JPII The Great, loved his priestly calling,not only were his speaches and writings charismatic, in the true sense of the word, but his life reflected the Priestly Life of The Good Shepherd--all those hard international journeys throughout his life,looking for the lost sheep!!
Jesus said of Himself "I am The Way,The Truth and The Life.They reflect his three attibutes-The Way--to follow Christ is to enter into His Kingdom of which He is Christ The King.The Truth was The Prophetic teachings on how to live this truth and the spiritual life here on this earth.The Life was through His Priestly offering of Himself(and to follow His example-gave up His Life on the Cross that we might live!)) and then ordaining His Apostles -"He who believes and is baptised will be saved"to continue to give life to our souls through the Eucharist.We have to live and witness to this legacy and be priestly people to those we live with,as well as promoting His Kingdom and witnessing to the Truth ,as prophets of our time"Go out to all the world(The Churchless millions) and tell The Good News".A hard task but possible With Christ,In Christ and Through Christ,strenghtened by The Holy Sacrifice of The Mass.
I believe that in this age of the antichrist(Arch.Bishop Fulten Sheen believed this is now),these three aspects of Jesus in the Church is under attack.His Kingdom was attacked by The Iron Curtain_Russia and it's various forms,His Prophetic truths attacked from the outside and what is worse from within .His Priesthood smeared in the Newspapers,on the TV screens etc in fact any way that the media can-it is open season to attack the Priesthood.The other is from within,seeing the priestly vocation as a career,a lay run "church"in which the clergy preside,priestless liturgies(even when a priest is available) etc.We all are familiar with what I write and most would do it in a far more scholarly manner.
The problems are many ,But the SOLUTION to the attack on the priesthood is so simple and a good way to start is for The Church to proclaim a Feastday in Honour of Christ The Eternal High Priest and Victim.Once we value the Priesthood of Jesus Christ, it follows that we will also value His chosen priests and then our own royal or common priesthood.This logic was applied by a Bishop recently in a retreat that I attended regarding Mary,The Mother of The Eternal Priest and Victim, he said 'Mary is important because Jesus is important"The Priesthood and Victimhood of Jesus is important, therefore priests are important,so are all the baptised faithful sharing his priesthood are important!! .Praised be Christ The Priest and Victim.----Forever and ever.Amen!.

[/quote]

Wonderful!!! I am glad you find Fr. Mitch to be a great example. Fr. Mitch does consider Pope John Paul the Great to be one of his greatest influences. It is a wonderful thing that the priesthood and victimhood is. This post sums it up. Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen was another great example, said in his autobiography "Treasure in Clay" that Pope John Paul II was going to be one of the best popes ever. Indeed he was right. I feel both Pope John Paul II and Archbishop Sheen addressed the issue of high priest and victim frequently in their ministries. We should be attenative to these writings and apply them to our lives in general. Both Pastores Dabo Vobis and the last document Christefidelis Laicci (Spelling) really addressed all roles and I now have better understanding who the high priest and victim is and how we are to imitate him. Thank you for your wonderful comment

I have been thinking about this proposed universal feastday within the Liturgical Year.The oficial title approved by the Congregation for The Divine Worship -Card.Mayer 10/07/1987 -( Congregattio Pro Cultu Divino Pro.8 196/86) is ---
Feast of Christ the Eternal High Priest(Domini nostri Jesu Christi summi et Aeterni Sacerdotis)

Under this title an approved votive Mass of Jesus Christ the High Priest is found in the general missal .

The question is for me is why was "and Victim" not put in.If anyone has an answer I would be grateful for it.

To me, I cannot see how the priesthhod of Christ can be honoured without the victimhood.The very role of a priest is to offer sacrifice,The old testament type(for Christ) was Melchizedek who was a priest and he offered bread and wine."he is like the Son of God.He remains a priest forever"Heb.Ch7 v 3.

I would liken these two aspects to say using a coin of currency--on one side might be the head of state and on the other some symble of the country--but the value of the coin remains the same value regardless of which side of the coin is presented.

So is saying Christ" The Priest ",it also implies Christ "The Victim"?What I am asking is does there need to be a separate feast for Christ The Priest and one for Christ,Priest and Victim?

If the answer is no, then perhaps adding Victim to the Title is the correct one.Remember Pope John Paul 11 promoted The Litany of Jesus Christ Priest and Victim,so this maybe the correct title that should be promoted.St.Paul in the letters Hebrews seems to convey this theme.

Archbishop Fulton Sheen in the book The Priest Is Not His Own seems to teach the two aspects of Christ.Vatican II certainly tried to convey both prayer and sacrifice("active participation in the Mass"---offering Christ's priestly death and uniting themselves by the offering of the sacrifices of their lives in union with the Victim .

[quote="karoleck, post:9, topic:177132"]
I have been thinking about this proposed universal feastday within the Liturgical Year.The oficial title approved by the Congregation for The Divine Worship -Card.Mayer 10/07/1987 -( Congregattio Pro Cultu Divino Pro.8 196/86) is ---
Feast of Christ the Eternal High Priest(Domini nostri Jesu Christi summi et Aeterni Sacerdotis)

Under this title an approved votive Mass of Jesus Christ the High Priest is found in the general missal .

The question is for me is why was "and Victim" not put in.If anyone has an answer I would be grateful for it.

To me, I cannot see how the priesthhod of Christ can be honoured without the victimhood.The very role of a priest is to offer sacrifice,The old testament type(for Christ) was Melchizedek who was a priest and he offered bread and wine."he is like the Son of God.He remains a priest forever"Heb.Ch7 v 3.

I would liken these two aspects to say using a coin of currency--on one side might be the head of state and on the other some symble of the country--but the value of the coin remains the same value regardless of which side of the coin is presented.

So is saying Christ" The Priest ",it also implies Christ "The Victim"?What I am asking is does there need to be a separate feast for Christ The Priest and one for Christ,Priest and Victim?

If the answer is no, then perhaps adding Victim to the Title is the correct one.Remember Pope John Paul 11 promoted The Litany of Jesus Christ Priest and Victim,so this maybe the correct title that should be promoted.St.Paul in the letters Hebrews seems to convey this theme.

Archbishop Fulton Sheen in the book The Priest Is Not His Own seems to teach the two aspects of Christ.Vatican II certainly tried to convey both prayer and sacrifice("active participation in the Mass"---offering Christ's priestly death and uniting themselves by the offering of the sacrifices of their lives in union with the Victim .

[/quote]

I would agree with your thinking on this - and you're right that it was a point that +Bishop Sheen frequently stressed. Christ is both priest and victim - He offered something, which a priest does, but what he offered was Himself. The two are inextricably linked. I can't say why the CDWDS only referred to the High Priest - it may have been because Christ's victimhood cannot be separated from His priesthood, or there may be another reason - maybe they wanted priests and the faithful to focus on the priestly side of Christ's life?

[quote="NPC, post:10, topic:177132"]
I would agree with your thinking on this - and you're right that it was a point that +Bishop Sheen frequently stressed. Christ is both priest and victim - He offered something, which a priest does, but what he offered was Himself. The two are inextricably linked. I can't say why the CDWDS only referred to the High Priest - it may have been because Christ's victimhood cannot be separated from His priesthood, or there may be another reason - maybe they wanted priests and the faithful to focus on the priestly side of Christ's life?

[/quote]

Thank you for your posting,I have thought of the possible reason for leaving out "and Victim." What happens is that the Congregation for Divine Worship receives a request--say in this case, from the Bishops of Spain--asking for a feastday to honour Christ the Priest.The congregation then examins the summited prayers and then issues a yes or no.I suspect that the Bishops of Spain did not add "and Victim" to this title.I would believe that if The Holy Father requested to establish this feast throughout the world,it would have the full title as per this post.?

stlouiscatholic.blogspot.com/2010/02/cardinal-canizares-petitions-for.html

This link informs us that Cardinal Canizares of Spain has requested Rometo extend this feastday of Christ The Priest, as a Universal Feastday--I only discovered this now, as I was researching the Spanish connection to this feast--Praised be Christ Priest and Victim!

[quote="karoleck, post:12, topic:177132"]

This link informs us that Cardinal Canizares of Spain has requested Rometo extend this feastday of Christ The Priest, as a Universal Feastday--I only discovered this now, as I was researching the Spanish connection to this feast--Praised be Christ Priest and Victim!

[/quote]

This link is a better one even!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.