Christening vs. Baptism

What is the difference? I just attended a Catholic baptism, in which I was godfather, and was asked the question is this a Christening or Baptism. I am confused at the difference between the two and a “dedication”.

[quote=Pjs2ejs]What is the difference? I just attended a Catholic baptism, in which I was godfather, and was asked the question is this a Christening or Baptism. I am confused at the difference between the two and a “dedication”.
[/quote]

In times before Vatican II Infant Baptism and Christening were used interchangeably. Protestants use the term “Dedication” and have adopted “Christening”. you have to be careful who is using the terms and in what context.

From the posts on the EWTN message board:

ewtn.com/vexperts/showresult.asp?RecNum=422992&Forums=0&Experts=0&Days=2005&Author=&Keyword=Christen&pgnu=1&groupnum=0&record_bookmark=37&ORDER_BY_TXT=ORDER+BY+ReplyDate+DESC&start_at=
ewtn.com/vexperts/showresult.asp?RecNum=371213&Forums=0&Experts=0&Days=2003&Author=&Keyword=Christen&pgnu=1&groupnum=0&record_bookmark=30&ORDER_BY_TXT=ORDER+BY+ReplyDate+DESC&start_at=

it seems the terms are snyonymous although the term “baptism” seems to be preferred by Catholics.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.