Christian alternative to ObamaCare growing fast as deadline nears

With just weeks left to sign up for insurance on HealthCare.gov, a growing number of people are opting to enroll in a Christian alternative to traditional health insurance.

Nationwide networks of fellow believers help share each other’s major medical bills through what’s known as health care sharing ministries.

“It works just like insurance. I have an insurance card. I show it just like anyone else would. I have a deductible. I have a monthly premium that I pay,” explained Eileen Wade, who joined the health care sharing ministry, Medi-Share, in 2011.

foxnews.com/politics/2014/03/03/christian-alternative-to-obamacare-growing-fast-as-deadline-nears

:thumbsup:

“It works just like insurance. I have an insurance card. I show it just like anyone else would. I have a deductible. I have a monthly premium that I pay,” explained Eileen Wade, who joined the health care sharing ministry, Medi-Share, in 2011.

Except it’s not real insurance. Sounds like a great plan…if you’re healthy and don’t really need it.

Medi-Share FAQs

Exactly. From their website (posted by Abyssinia):

“No. Medi-Share is not insurance. Medi-Share is a healthcare sharing program where Christians share their financial resources to pay each other’s medical expenses. Medi-Share isn’t insurance. Resources are shared directly between members. There is no pooling of funds as practiced by insurance groups. Christian Care Ministry and the Medi-Share program are not registered or licensed by any insurance entity, nor are we required to be. We do not collect premiums, make promise of payment, or guarantee that your medical bills will be paid. Sharing of medical bills is completely voluntary.”

I have a feeling that this expansion of participants is going to result in more taking than contributing and I don’t really see what the appeal of this is. I mean look at, one of the most expensive kinds of coverage needs, maternity “coverage.” According to their rules, a person is not eligible to participate unless they pay at least $1,250 per month of someone else’s medical bills “from the month of conception through the month of delivery.” Basically, a person would have to pay a minimum of $11,250 in recurring monthly payments of $1,250 (none of which is put towards your own medical need) just to be eligible to receive “shared” funds to pay for a delivery and there’s no guarantee that will even happen!

Medi-share isn’t the only program out there. There are many others, all with differing rules. I would wager that the reason they are big sellers is the fact they aren’t insurance.

I wonder if the people who participate in this are aware that it isn’t even a viable substitute for insurance. Reading the fine print reveals the following:

[LIST]
*]Almost nothing is eligible for “sharing.” People with any pre-existing conditions need not even apply and your membership can be revoked should you become seriously ill. Preventative care is not eligible for sharing and neither is any bill related to psychiatric or psychological treatment.

*]You have to pay substantially more than an insurance premium if you want to be eligible for sharing and there is no guarantee that you will ever receive anything.

*]Appeals to a denial of sharing are decided by a group of seven other members. So, basically, Joe Nobody off the street can decide to punish you, because he doesn’t think you’re Christian enough, by rejecting your appeal.

*]It is run by an organization which is completely opaque about the financial details. Some people are getting rich off of this, but they don’t say exactly how much of the money, they’re shuffling around between bank accounts, winds up in the pockets of the people who run it.
[/LIST]

Its a great scheme for people who do not and never will require medical care, but in the real world, eventually these people will need to wise up and realize you can’t pay your medical bills with prayers. :shrug:

They must offer something to their members or their wouldn’t be any for long. And if they are so horrible for people, then pray tell why the government allows it and other similar programs as meeting the minimum requirements for the ACA?

According to Medi-share, their entire financial info is available to all members. And their annual reports are available online. Seems pretty transparent to me.

They don’t meet the minimum requirements for the ACA. Thats why they needed the exemption.

Their annual reports don’t really itemize expenses. Who knows where the money is going.

Christian families in AR sharing the cost of medical bills

Reporter said Medi-share has about ‘75000 members’ and ‘$825 million has been shared among its members’

But they do meet the minimum requirements of the ACA, hence the reason that the people who use such services won’t be fined.

Of course the annual report doesn’t itemize expenses. But, anyone wanting to know where the money is going to can access their financial records.

No, they don’t. They applied for an exemption precisely because they do not meet the minimum requirements. If they did then they wouldn’t need one.

Link?

The requirement that you are talking about is different than the requirement I am talking about. Medi-share meets the individual requirements of the ACA, which is to have coverage, insurance or otherwise in order to avoid being fined. The requirement that you are talking about is the HHS minimum coverage requirement for insurance companies & employers. Individuals are NOT required to meet those guidelines.

It is on the Medi-share website.

That is my greatest concern about all of this.

It sounds like you are describing Obamacare.

:thumbsup:Bingo!:thumbsup:

I switched to Medi-share over a year ago and have used it unfortunately many times after my son was hurt in a baseball accident. We have been blessed by it and I wrote a review here collierbaseball.blogspot.com/.

It has worked even better than insurance. For the record, I pay about $380 a month for a family of 6 (with the healthy incentive discount) and a $2500 “Deductible”. On my old Anthem plan that number is well up over $1000 a month.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.