"Christian Answers" refuted?

A while back I came across a series of short videos (parts 1, 2, and 3) put together by Robert Zins and Larry Wessels of “Christian Answers” ostensibly exposing “Roman Catholic MYSTICISM, PAGANISM & IDOLATRY”.

Has Catholic Answers ever interacted with these people in debate? I’ve seen evangelical Wessels and Catholic Robert Fastiggi go at it, on the question of whether Catholicism teaches “another gospel”–a most ludicrous proposition, given that sola fide was a doctrine invented in the sixteenth century. I found Wessels to be most skilled at being uncharitable and tangential, and thought Fastiggi wasn’t cut out for the job, given his occupation as a professor of theology rather than an experienced debater in hostile venues.

I’ve been pointed to videos posted by “Christian Answers” before, and would like to see professional Catholic apologists put these ignorant, dishonest characters decisively in their place, given the influence enjoyed by the Calvinist anti-Catholic message online.

[quote="Trebor135, post:1, topic:248725"]
Has Catholic Answers ever interacted with these people in debate?

[/quote]

There are a ton of debate videos on YouTube. It's hard to tell who is being debated in many of them (the titles are "Blah blah blah - Christian Answers vs" - but no name.

Where I could determine who the Catholic was (without actually watching the videos), most debates are with Catholics whose names I didn't recognize. Several were with a monsignor - probably NOT a professional, full time apologist.

I did see a couple of debates with Robert Sungenis - the only name I recognized. He is a professional apologist, but not CA.

I think many apologists consider these guys to be on the kook fringe of anti-Catholicism. They are so far off the reservation that an apologetic ministry is unlikely to have any effect. These guys wear reason-proof vests. It's like casting your pearls before swine.

[quote="Trebor135, post:1, topic:248725"]
A while back I came across a series of short videos (parts 1, 2, and 3) put together by Robert Zins and Larry Wessels of "Christian Answers" ostensibly exposing "Roman Catholic MYSTICISM, PAGANISM & IDOLATRY".

Has Catholic Answers ever interacted with these people in debate? I've seen evangelical Wessels and Catholic Robert Fastiggi go at it, on the question of whether Catholicism teaches "another gospel"--a most ludicrous proposition, given that sola fide was a doctrine invented in the sixteenth century. I found Wessels to be most skilled at being uncharitable and tangential, and thought Fastiggi wasn't cut out for the job, given his occupation as a professor of theology rather than an experienced debater in hostile venues.

I've been pointed to videos posted by "Christian Answers" before, and would like to see professional Catholic apologists put these ignorant, dishonest characters decisively in their place, given the influence enjoyed by the Calvinist anti-Catholic message online.

[/quote]

I have not been compelled by the Christian Answers videos to seek out more about Christianity through them.
I do not think it is a matter of Catholic Apologists being refuted in this example.
I would think it is a matter of a Catholic Apologist having every right to reservation to even consider giving them credence by allowing a debate on the topics considering their stated Anti- Catholic views.
Catholic Apologists have done a great job defending their beliefs. They should not have to engage with those who make a caricature of their beliefs.
That is Dishonest Apologetics, and no Catholic Apologist needs to engage or defend things that are clearly dishonest.

[quote="StrawberryJam, post:3, topic:248725"]

That is Dishonest Apologetics, and no Catholic Apologist needs to engage or defend things that are clearly dishonest.

[/quote]

All the same; when these anti-Catholics lie about us, eg "Mary Worship", i reckon they should be PUBLICLY confronted, and forced to defend their lies, and retract them.

[quote="Fink, post:4, topic:248725"]
All the same; when these anti-Catholics lie about us, eg "Mary Worship", i reckon they should be PUBLICLY confronted, and forced to defend their lies, and retract them.

[/quote]

Exactly.

[quote="Fink, post:4, topic:248725"]
I reckon they should be PUBLICLY confronted, and forced to defend their lies, and retract them.

[/quote]

Yeah, good luck with that. There is NO SUCH THING as reasoning with this type of people. They WILL NOT HEAR the words that you say. They are like the Jews of old - a "stiff-necked people" (Exodus 32:9). They are the kook fringe of Anti-Catholics. They embrace ideas that embarrass respected protestant theologians such as Billy Graham and FF Bruce. Most protestants hope and pray that they will just shut up!

Debating these people would be like debating Fred Phelps or anyone else from the kooky Westbro Baptist Church (these are the people who picket the funerals of American servicemen who have died in the line of duty, among other reprehensible activities). These people are all beyond reason. We can pray for them, but we should not waste our efforts on confronting them, hoping we can show them the error of their ways. It is casting our pearls before swine.

Don't sweat these guys. I just took the time to respond in their comments section and starting off by refuting their "gospel lite" and then posting the entirety of my Iconoclasm article...piece by piece.

Who REALLY Preaches "A Different Gospel"?
Iconoclasm: Or: Catholics Worship Graven Images NOT

They will probably remove it all, so go see it soonest. I'd post reflectional videos, but I'm about as photogenic and a bucket of mud. :D

[quote="Church_Militant, post:7, topic:248725"]
Don't sweat these guys. I just took the time to respond in their comments section and starting off by refuting their "gospel lite" and then posting the entirety of my Iconoclasm article...piece by piece.

Who REALLY Preaches "A Different Gospel"?
Iconoclasm: Or: Catholics Worship Graven Images NOT

They will probably remove it all, so go see it soonest. I'd post reflectional videos, but I'm about as photogenic and a bucket of mud. :D/QUOTE

Theandric action going on all over the place there. So I guess you may continue to think I am blind, or that I have good taste. Either way, it is way off topic at this point.:blush:

[/quote]

I agree. Lately, I’ve been blocked by them on youtube to comment on a video debate on “Does Roman Catholicism preaches another gospel?” All comments accepted are anti-catholic ones. How absurd!

Have you considered recording and uploading some videos to provide a vigorous response to the claims and arguments made by the folks over at “Christian Answers”?

They may be impossible to reach, but others really open to and searching for the truth will be able to hear the other side of the story and make an informed decision about whether to take Robert Zins, Larry Wessels, and their ilk seriously.

It is not right when falsehood goes unchallenged. I would make and post videos myself if such were a feasible option at this time.

:thumbsup:

Thank you. Great idea. I’ll try and produce a video and post a video response to it.
God Bless!:signofcross:

Thank you as well.

I’ll try and produce a video and post a video response to it.

Excellent. In the first post of this thread, you will see that I linked to three videos: all of them are in dire need of our attention. :slight_smile:

God Bless!:signofcross:

Same to you. :slight_smile:

I’ve tried to engage the people at Christian Answeres in an honest dialogue. They were rude and disrespectful in return, at least in my experience.:mad: We need to pray for all of them.

ive seen some of Larry Wessels videos, he is a calvinist and actually Calvinists are usually arrogant. Maybe its because they claim they are god’s elect, even though calvinism is a lie. There is no “once saved always saved”.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.