Christian baker vindicated by SCOTUS (not backing gender transition cake)

The Christian baker who refused to bake a wedding cake for a same-sex couple and was vindicated by the Supreme Court earlier this year is mounting another legal challenge this week after refusing to bake a gender-transitioning cake.

Shortly after the Supreme Court ruled in June that the Colorado Civil Rights Commission discriminated against baker Jack Phillips for his religious beliefs, an attorney requested he create a cake that was pink on the inside and blue on the outside to represent a gender transition from male to female.

As a Christian, Mr. Phillips would not make the cake since it conflicted with his beliefs, which was his same reasoning for refusing to bake the same-sex couple’s wedding cake.

The state of Colorado has come after Mr. Phillips again, suggesting state law requires him to bake the gender change cake.

It’s the newest complaint mounted against him, which has forced Mr. Phillips to file a federal lawsuit Tuesday.

“The state of Colorado is ignoring the message of the U.S. Supreme Court by continuing to single out Jack for punishment and to exhibit hostility toward his religious beliefs,” said Kristen Waggoner, an attorney with Alliance Defending Freedom, a religious liberty law firm defending Mr. Phillips.

"Colorado Targets Christian Baker Again Despite Supreme Court’s Cake Ruling." He won in Supreme Court after the government punished him for refusing to make a gay wedding cake; now it is punishing him again for refusing to make a transgender-themed cake

The same guy? This is literally persecution of an individual. What is wrong with people…

There are those in the modern left that won’t be happy until all bow to their agenda. It isn’t about tolerance it’s about dominance.

Additionally, this wouldn’t be an issue at all if the supream court had made a decision statement last time, instead they ruled on the flimsiest grounds possible.

The newest charge against the baker is a transparent attempt to force the SC to make this decision, they hope in favor of authoritarianism. Even more transparent than the original wedding cake case. The last decision was a cop out and everyone knew it. They want to force the issue. On the other hand I would go as far as to say the lawyer who targeted this same baker again should be disbarred and the Colorado commission receive punitive punishment. They are seriously trying to destroy this man’s life and livelihood because they don’t like his religious beliefs.

That’s the dangerous thing about giving the courts legislative power they were never meant to have. It’s a real shame. On the bright side there should hopefully be another originalist judge in the court soon.

I’ve got no idea what a transition cake would be.

It’s all about the color scheme for the cake and what those colors represent.

I think the problem here is more about what the would-be-buyer says the cake colors would represent. If the same color scheme were selected for some other reason it might have been considered okay. I don’t think there’s a good place to draw a line to on what’s allowed or not with this one.

This is so scary.
That certain groups can attempt to punish an individual for their beliefs.
I hope he doesn’t back down.
But if the group loses this battle, I wonder what their next attempt at punishment will be…

I’m wondering who exactly it was that requested this cake.

Story says:

Shortly after the Supreme Court agreed to hear baker Jack Phillips‘ case, an attorney requested he create a cake that was pink on the inside and blue on the outside to represent a gender transition from male to female.

I’d like to know more about this – who does this lawyer represent? What are his or her motives?

I have not read anything more detailed on it but IMO what this lawyer did was make a fake request he knew the baker would refuse so he could file a discrimination claim again. It is just blatantly obvious to me but it’s just my opinion.

Agreed there. And to go after the same baker again when CO has already been criticised for not taking into account his sincere religious beliefs is just obvious in that regard. I mean sheesh.

Nothing new. It is the same cause that motivated men centuries ago to arrive somewhere, put the population in chains, and bring them back home to work for them. There is one slight difference. In the past they had practical needs they wanted fulfilled. Today these people want their ideology affirmed. So maybe it is more like the forced conversion of ages past. There is nothing new under the sun.

I think we know their motives

It should be obvious now why the principle in the law that took away freedom of association and freedom from forced labor are so bad. Is it really good for society for people to be able to create situations like this giving them the right to sue? Is this really how we should order our society? Is this the work we should be pursuing?

So what if a baker refused to make a cake for a Catholic person to celebrate their confirmation because he’s a Baptist and doesn’t believe in confirmation and thinks that Catholics aren’t real Christians? Would everyone here support that?

This is the ONLY cake baker in the USA … and is appointed by the order of the Queen.

My Speculation

The only thing I can think of is this may be the attempts of individuals and groups to change laws. One way to change laws is to get a ruling. So they constructed a reason to go to court. I believe that most won’t see anything intrinsically immoral or evil about the color scheme of the cake and that they want the emphasis to be on the baker’s decision making; that while he might not have a problem with someone making a cake with this color scheme for some other reason he specifically saw it as problematic for a trans person. It would be interesting if they had sent someone to get a cake with the same color scheme for some other reason (ex: a baby shower for a woman that was carrying both a boy and a girl).

And then some people just like to create trouble.

Yes,

16 ca

I think you are right. And I think the baker will lose in the lower courts. He may even lose in the Supreme Court ultimately.

But the kind of people who want to toy with a working man like this are disgusting. They deserve a punishment far more severe then they’ll ever receive and that they won’t is evidence that our justice system has gone off the rails. It isn’t a justice system anymore. And once people realize that the rule of law ends.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.