Christian bakers in Belfast lose ‘gay cake’ appeal

Appeal court judges in Belfast said that Ashers Bakery could not fail to provide a service to individuals simply because they did not share the same beliefs

Christian bakers who were fined for refusing to bake a cake with a pro-gay marriage slogan have lost their appeal against the ruling.

Appeal court judges said the bakers were not allowed to provide a service only to those who supported their religious beliefs.

catholicherald.co.uk/news/2016/10/24/christian-bakers-in-belfast-lose-gay-cake-appeal/

drat!

Yet this too is a form of active discrimination against Christians as we are being penalised for practising OUR belief … may folk remember this and turn against these aggressors

BREAKING: Calls to change ‘oppressive’ equality law after Ashers lose ‘gay cake’ case

Following the ruling, The Christian Institute has called for the law to be changed to protect freedom of conscience. Deputy Director for Public Affairs at the Institute Simon Calvert said:

“Equality laws are there to protect people from discrimination, not to force people to associate themselves with a cause they oppose.

“But those same laws have become a weapon in the hands of those who want to oppress anyone who dissents from the politically-correct norms of the moment. The law needs to change before more damage is done.”

christian.org.uk/news/breaking-calls-change-oppressive-equality-law-ashers-lose-gay-cake-case/

Great! Please God ti is acted on. It would make the suffering worthwhile and fruitful

This is so sad. Christians should not be punished for practicing their beliefs.

I believe the McArthers are 100% right in their stance on this, this ruling is a gross injustice. :frowning:

The article you provided sums up some of my thoughts fairly well I think.

Thank you for sharing this.

God Bless You

Thank you for reading
Josh

youtube.com/watch?v=1OIMviO3eaE

I’m still waiting for a member of the KKK to go to a business like a baker and request a cake promoting a Klan event. Would the court rule in favor or against a baker who refused such a thing?

Looks like stores need prominent signs in their windows:
“Cake decorations/slogans do not necessarily reflect the beliefs of the management”.
“Yes I do love Big Brother”.

And of course, one could always go ahead and decorate a ‘gay marriage cake’ (remembering the signs one has up, and possibly praying a rosary or two or three for the conversion of sinners as one does so) and then go ahead and decorate a lovely 'Marriage is between one man and one woman" cake and display it prominently in the window of the shop. The gay marriage cake is going to be seen by maybe a couple hundred people at the ‘ceremony’; the ‘marriage is between one man and one woman’ can be seen theoretically by thousands passing by the shop, especially if it’s kept there for a few days. Every time a ‘gay marriage’ cake has to go out to satisfy Satan, bake another cake, “And God made them male and female”, etc., and display. . .

A quote from the article:

“The judgement opens a can of worms. It means that a Muslim printer could be obliged to publish cartoons of Mohammed and a Jewish printer could be required to publish a book that propagates Holocaust denial. It could also encourage far right extremists to demand that bakers and other service providers facilitate the promotion of anti-immigrant and anti-Muslim opinions.”

I agree, in principle.

However, what would happen if the bakers were Catholic and were asked to add ‘Abortion is a Woman’s choice’…or a slogan that endorsed abortion for a Pro-choice event.

Could a Catholic baker bake such a cake, or would it be seen as condoning abortion by doing so, i.e. by assisting in the promotional events of the pro-choice movement? :shrug:

‘Gay cake’ ruling is a defeat for freedom of expression, says gay rights campaigner Peter Tatchell

catholicherald.co.uk/news/2016/10/24/christian-bakers-in-belfast-lose-gay-cake-appeal/

As a gay man, I’m horrified that Christian bakers are being forced to surrender their beliefs

telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/24/as-a-gay-man-im-horrified-that-christian-bakers-are-being-forced/

I just don’t get t. It’s a wedding cake. Not a gay wedding cake. Cakes can’t be gay. Some cakes are not attracted to other cakes. A cake is a cake. A wedding cake for a gay couple looks the same as a wedding cake for a straight couple. Maybe if the bakers are asked to write something they deem offensive I would understand. That happened with an American baker (forgive me, don’t remember the details) and they simply made the cake itself and gave the customer the supplies to write whatever they wanted after purchasing the cake.

A better sign in the window would be:
“Our religious convictions hold that marriage is only between one man and one woman, but we obey the law. All profits from the sale of same gender “wedding” cakes will be donated to
The National Organization for Marriage ( or similar pro-traditional marriage group).”

The same with pharmacists required to sell abortifacients
"Profits from the sale of all abortion drugs will be donated to National Right to Life. "

This cake did have an order for writing: “Support gay marriage”.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.