Christian Billionaire Seeking to Buy Entire Island for Refugees, Name It After Drowned Syrian Boy

An image of a 3-year-old drown Syrian boy, identified as Aylan Kurdi, was tweeted on Sept. 2, 2015, after he washed up face-down on a Turkish beach after the he, his father and 5-year-old brother were trying to flee to the Greek island of Kos.

Coptic Christian billionaire businessman Naguib Sawiris has said that he’s seeking to buy an island from either Greece or Turkey and use it to help thousands of refugees fleeing the Middle East. Sawiris said he’ll name the island after Aylan Kurdi, the 3-year-old Syrian boy whose picture lying face-down on a beach was shared around the world.

Read more at christianpost.com/news/christian-billionaire-seeking-to-buy-entire-island-for-refugees-name-it-after-drowned-syrian-boy-145264/#4U5cGI21kjcZGrqU.99

That would be very generous and a great gift, but the expense would be enormous. Is he providing housing and infrastructure or does the island already have that?

Fantastic post!:slight_smile: This one really comes out of nowhere, as far as I’m concerned, because I didn’t even know there were any Christian billionaires, outside of the Vatican Bank. I’ve bookmarked this, because I’m planning on staying on top of this to see if it actually happens. I have some hope it will…

Of course there are. The second richest man in the world, Carlos Slim, is a Maronite Catholic in Mexico.

We have already bought an island for them. It is called Nauru.

May God bless him for his good heart and generosity.

:frowning: fellow Aussie I see.

I did not know that. thanks for that tidbit of info.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.