Christian bus driver fired after refusing to drive Calgary ‘Gay Pride bus’

CALGARY, Alberta, September 11, 2015 (LifeSiteNews) – A Calgary bus driver who is a faithful Christian and married father of two children has been fired from his job after stating publicly last week that he would refuse to drive a city bus decked out by his employer to promote the city’s Gay ‘Pride’ festival.

“They called me in and read me a statement saying that I would no longer be working for them,” Jesse Rau, former Calgary Transit Authority employee, told LifeSiteNews in an exclusive interview.

Two weeks ago Calgary Transit unveiled a “Pride Bus” it had specially decorated with a rainbow paint job to promote the city’s Calgary Pride Festival. A large banner on the side of the bus states: “Ride with Pride” and provides the dates for the celebration of homosexuality, something that Christians believe is a deviation from God’s plan for human sexuality.

lifesitenews.com/news/breaking-christian-bus-driver-fired-after-refusing-to-drive-calgary-gay-pri

The persecution hits our wallets and workplaces first. The physical beatings, imprisonment, and murders come later.

I hate this side of things. Leave the poor guy alone. When people get bullied into stuff like this it just reverses the problem instead of solving it. I feel bad about this.

To the modern liberal, indiscriminateness is a moral imperative. The only way to be moral is not to discriminate at all, not even between good appearance and bad, right and wrong, good and evil, better and worse, truth and lies, because an act of discrimination might be a reflection of personal “bigotry”. Indiscriminateness is a moral imperative because its opposite is the evil of having discriminated and being judgmental. Disagree with the Modern Liberal de rigueur? You are a bigot.

When we fail to discriminate between good and evil, right and wrong, and the behaviors that lead to success and those that lead to failure, we do not end up being objective, neutral, tolerant, or even only indifferent; we end up hating what is good, right, and successful. We have seen this pattern over and over. The idea that one man’s terrorist is another’s freedom fighter has led to more terrorism; the belief that America is no better than any other country has led to hatred of America. These inversions of decency and sanity are not the work of anarchists. They are the logical consequence of the central credo of modern liberalism: that all intolerance and discrimination must be eliminated. In a society dedicated to that proposition, the good itself must ultimately be seen as evil, because the good is intolerant of evil, while evil must be “embraced” and blessed with victim status, because it is excluded by the good. – From The Closing of the American Mind

Yep. The persecution continues. :frowning:

Does Lifestite “News” *ever *get a headline factually correct?

He wasn’t asked to drive the bus, therefore he wasn’t fired for refusing to drive it.

He was fired because he breached a code of conduct by giving a bunch of media interviews without permission and in those interviews, speaking negatively about his employer and his job.

In his interviews, he said he’d rather lose his job than drive the bus. So then, he should be glad for the outcome, yes?

From the CBC:

Rau received a termination of employment letter from the City of Calgary on Thursday for breaching code of conduct an the city’s media relations policy.
The letter states: “To be clear you are entitled to your religious beliefs and to express them freely. However, you went beyond that and made false and misleading comments during various media interviews, which resulted in undue controversy and put the reputation of the city at risk.”

You and your lousy facts!!

Wow. Thanks for that. I never thought to look up the details and so would have gone around thinking the wrong thing about this. Thanks for doing my homework for me. :blush:

I’m not sure if someone expression their opinion in their off hours should be a fireable offense. If that were the case, I’m sure some union members wouldn’t rest so easy.

Are you certain you are not making the same mistake (letting others do your homework for you,) twice?

What did we come out into this wilderness to see? A reed swayed by the wind?

Looks like Christianophobia is 100% acceptable in Canada. What does non-discrimination mean?

I recall Unions saying the same thing when teachers and staff members in Catholic schools were being asked never to say or do anything contrary to the Church, Catholic or not. It’s all perspective, isn’t it?

Help me out here…

Which of the observations regarding his own feelings or beliefs about driving the bus could possibly be taken as “false and misleading?”

It seems to me that FIRING the guy for expressing his feelings and beliefs creates its own controversy and, itself, “puts the reputation of the city at risk,” no?

Actually, no because the city and the transit department seems to have staked its entire reputation on how politically correct it will be and how low it will kowtow to the leftist agenda.

Weak is weak and no backbone, no matter how shrill or loud the voice box becomes, is still no backbone.

A more credible, confident and humane employer considerate of all its employees would have defended both its initial decision AND the right of its employees to have their own opinions or beliefs. The lack of courage is obvious in its reticence to face the potential social media outcry that an employee refusing to go along with his superiors’ politicizing the transportation system would cause.

If Calgary Transit really didn’t want to stir up controversy, it should have stayed away from politicizing a controversial social agenda to begin with. It isn’t in the business of being politically correct; it is in the business of providing safe, reliable public transportation, which this bus driver did remarkably well.

Ironically, “Rau … was accused by his employer of misleading the public into believing that he could be fired from his job for refusing to drive the ‘Pride bus,’” which is precisely what his employer did. How could Rau be accused of MISLEADING anyone into believing something that actually did happen?

Everyone needs to read this book…

amazon.com.au/SJWs-Always-Lie-Taking-Thought-ebook/dp/B014GMBUR4?tag=duckduckgo-ipad-20

Well, no, it isn’t.

Do you suppose any corporation would tolerate an employee undermining, compromising or betraying corporate policy, production or efficiency?

Suppose Wal-Mart employees were deliberately mixing up inventory or deliberately causing confusion with regard to the day to day running of the store. Do you really think Wal-Mart would not have cause to fire these employees?

Likewise, Catholic Schools are in the business of educating Catholic children by the choice of Catholic parents who are paying the school tuition and fees to have their children educated by Catholic standards of ethics, scholastics and spirituality. Those parents have a right to expect that the school is doing well the very service they are paying for. Any employees who deliberately undermine Catholic education in those schools should be fired because they are acting contrary to the aims of Catholic schools and Catholic parents.

Now the Calgary Transit situation is completely different. Calgary Transit is in the business of providing reliable public transportation. It has a right to expect its employees to carry out their responsibilities as drivers, supervisors, etc. it has no right to expect or coerce its employees to hold or facilitate certain political, moral or social views.

There is nothing about Calgary Transit that makes it a mouthpiece for the gay agenda except that someone in a supervisory capacity has decided to make that his/her pet project. It amounts to politicizing Calgary Transit. Where is that function found in its mandate?

If Calgary Transit wanted to avoid controversy it should have stayed out of the business of being politically correct. Its dubious entry into an area that has nothing whatsoever to do with its function as a public service created the issue. It brought the issue on itself and is now seeking to punish someone who simply disagrees with the political agenda.

This is another case of some persons using their supervisory power in some area of commerce to force others to comply with their leftist agenda.

You may agree with the cause, but the problem is that once this kind of politicizing takes hold there will arise agendas in the future that you may NOT find so agreeable. It is then that you will see how problematic this way of furthering social causes really is. Wait until you get fired by some supervisor who doesn’t agree with your views, but uses his/her position to force your compliance.

We need to see past our noses on this. It will affect everyone when this way of carrying on politics through control of commerce, the media and enterprise, generally, becomes the “way it is done.”

This is why we need to take a stand against this kind of nonsense, now.

I have seldom seen a headline on LSN that passes any sort of journalistic muster. It is one of my pet peeves here. That was good work on the fact check.

Lifestite?

Oh, the irony!

Well I told you you’d have me for lunch. I mean I’ve read your later posts and they make me look like a cheerleader jumping up and down for the wrong team. But I mean I’m not quite sure where the swaying reed is fitting into all this. I’m pretty sure I’m not the wind. And I know I’m not really into going into the wilderness. So am I the reed? Or am I maybe the bug just off to the side of it? I don’t know man. You lost me there.

Peace.

-Trident

Dig deeper, you’ll figure it out.

What makes you think the line was about you specifically?

The entire episode transpired as an SJW show of power and coercion, complete with the outrageous comment box musings of the enlightened class.

The eight stages of the SJW attack sequence are as follows:

1. Locate or Create a Violation of the Narrative.
  2. Point and Shriek.
  3. Isolate and Swarm.
  4. Reject and Transform.
  5. Press for Surrender.
  6. Appeal to Amenable Authority.
  7. Show Trial.
  8. Victory Parade.
    voxday.net/mart/SJW_Attack_Survival_Guide.pdf

The driver’s mistake was not seeing it coming. He basically walked right into it.

Go to the comments on the CBC newstory and honestly tell me that we live in an enlightened and tolerant society. Read it as a neutral observer with no vested interest in taking a side. Scary really.
cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/calgary-transit-driver-jesse-rau-fired-over-pride-bus-controversy-1.3225224

The only reason this is even controversial is because the press made it so. The only reason he lost his job is because the press fabricated the controversy.

Admittedly, he was naïve and didn’t see it coming, but perhaps there is something more substantial that no one is anticipating that might come about. Who knows?

Well because you said it to me. Sort of like I heard you talking to someone and you were pointing and saying look at that guy, he’s like a reed that blows in the wind. He changes his mind every time a new opinion comes along. So I just knew I wasn’t the wind. And I wasn’t in the group (because, well really, why would you invite me out into the wilderness anyway? I mean it wouldn’t be for the deep conversation) so I had to be somewhere around the reed. So maybe I was a reed and maybe I was just a bug nearby. But that’s about as deep as I could go on such short notice. I don’t know. Maybe you were just reminding me to close the window or something because of an approaching storm?

Did I dig too deep now? Am I now in a sort of hole near the reed? Is the hole filling up with water? I bet it is. I bet I’m soaked now. And people are still pointing. And some of them are laughing. Thanks Peter. Thanks a lot.

But I mean I just have to admit that I get a little nervous when you’re nearby because I don’t know how you come up with all those things you say. But I like it when you talk to me. I like the fact that you take the time to point to the odd reed. And maybe remind them to not blow around so much. Or something.

Peace.

-Trident

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.