Christian Business Ordered To Attend Diversity Training For Refusing To Make Gay Pride T-Shirts

This news story is similar to the one in Oregon. There a bakery refused a customer’s request to make a same-sex wedding cake.

christiannews.net/2014/10/08/kentucky-commission-wants-to-force-christian-company-to-print-pro-homosexual-t-shirts/

cleveland.cbslocal.com/2014/10/08/christian-company-ordered-to-take-diversity-classes-after-refusal-to-print-gay-pride-shirts

Ordered to attend diversity training! Wow, I used to work for the government. I remember diversity training–yet another mandatory brainwashing session!

ah yes, the good old “re-education classes” …

To paraphrase Abp. Chaput “Evil always speaks of tolerance until it is in power. Then it works to destroy good, because the presence good is a reminder that evil is evil”

Yes, and also similar to the florist in Washington state, or the photographers in New Mexico, or the cake baker in Colorado. In all of these cases, the businesses are in the legal category of “public accommodations.” As such, they are not allowed to discriminate against the protected classes in the state antidiscrimination law.

What is unique about the Kentucky ruling is that the state does not protect sexual orientation under its antidiscrimination law. However, the local law (Lexington-Fayette County) does include sexual orientation as a protected class.

Here is a link to the ruling:

adfmedia.org/files/HOOrecommendation.pdf

If I were caught in this dilemma, I think I’d have some brochures made up, a sort of witnessing brochure to the Christian lifestyle and it’s view of gay marriage and other areas. Reverse Psychology, “Friend, I will do as you ask but I ask you to give up your sinful lifestyle and come to the Lord”. Be gentle not accusatory.

or what?? be fined? have their business shut down? Go to jail? I’m sorry but they need to fight this or we’re all in trouble. And I want to know, why did the gay pride org. choose an obviously Christian Business to print their shirts? Was it so they could bring about a lawsuit like this?

Just remember, we shouldn’t care about what gay people do because it won’t affect us….

I can’t open the second CBS link, but that first one is not very accurate.
It says the company was asked “to print t-shirts that bear pro-homosexual messages”.
Here is the T-shirt in question:

kentucky.com/2014/10/07/3468006/hands-on-originals-discriminated.html

All the shirt says is “Lexington Pride Festival”.

The bible and the Catechism and the pope don’t say a person who has same-sex attraction should not feel pride within themselves as a person.
This T-shirt is not promoting that people should have unmarried sex.

When I asked about filling up a car with gas on it’s way to a gay wedding with the gay couple in the car people said of course I should fill up the car. A gay person asks someone to print up T-Shirts then it discriminates against them and now some people endorse the discrimination against a gay person ordering a product from a retailer that serves the public.
:confused:

If it were one of those notoriously raunchy pride parades, I’d hope people would have a way to object, if it was one of those parades where sacrileges were present, ditto.

Government orders diversity training? That is the same as communist’s brain wash.
Pretty soon the Great Culture Revolution of China will come to our land. That is actually no surprise when people especially “Catholics”, continue to support the extreme left wing.

Here’s an interesting item that’s somewhat related to the thread.

remnantnewspaper.com/Archives/archive-2006-0515-ford.htm

That is accusatory. ‘give up your sinful lifestyle’ is a pretty insulting statement. Gay people have the right to be treated the same as anyone else.

In your opinion. People have the right to free speech as well. We don’t have the right to not be offended. Perhaps those being asked to make “Pride” T-shirts take offense as well. If they object, perhaps there are other places they can get the shirt made. The accusation of harassment did cross my mind. Maybe it would work and maybe not, a court could decide it.

I disagree, it is not ‘brain washing’.

You only have to look at the ‘situation’ in the middle east to see the results of entrenched religious thinking - where ‘my God is better then your God’ leads to horrific results. it’s hard to imagine a group of homosexuals going to war over bronze age thinking

It is true, atheists and agnostics have killed way more people than religion but of course, this does not excuse the abuse by those who use religion for violence.

I don’t know about the Catholic morality of this in the absolute sense, but if the FREE MARKET were allowed to work, these problems would not even arise.

But as it is, every one has to whine about discrimination and be a victim. :rolleyes:

The fact is discrimination is not always bad, and people do it ALL the time. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I agree. People are looking for equal rights though, not superior rights.

They are being asked to make ‘pride’ T shirts, not Nazi T Shirts. There needs to be some sense of perspective and I see diversity training as attempting to bring that perspective.

Teaching people to have open rather than closed minds.

Not making a T shirt or wedding cake for a gay person is like not making them for a black person, or a woman, arguably, most people would be offended by that.

I do understand that it is a slow process to teach new ideas to entrenched thinkers and it may still take generations for old thinking to die out.

Notice how it’s always Christians. Never Muslims or Jews. Not even Southern African American Christians.

I wonder why…:hmmm:

=AprilFoolish;12401992]I agree. People are looking for equal rights though, not superior rights.

This is about superior rights, because the government is picking winners and losers by interfering the free market.

Equality and freedom are at OPPOSITE ends of the spectrum.

They are being asked to make ‘pride’ T shirts, not Nazi T Shirts. There needs to be some sense of perspective and I see diversity training as attempting to bring that perspective.

How about if the government enforced nutrition and diversity training for vegetarian restaurants to serve meat.

Or how about if the American Cancer Society were forced to lease their offices to tobacco companies to develop marketing strategies.

Teaching people to have open rather than closed minds.

:rotfl:

Yeah, cause the government can do that!

Not making a T shirt or wedding cake for a gay person is like not making them for a black person, or a woman, arguably,

A person? Perhaps. But not if we are talking a behavior.

most people would be offended by that.

Emotions (like feeling offended) and government make horrible combinations.

I do understand that it is a slow process to teach new ideas to entrenched thinkers and it may still take generations for old thinking to die out.

How so? A lot of the same voices who support this so-called training also stampede ahead to defend Islam at every turn and support leaders who are very weak against Putin and China.

Who do they think will be calling the shots in the future?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.