Christian Cartoon Tract Creator Jack Chick Dies at 92

ABC News:

Christian Cartoon Tract Creator Jack Chick Dies at 92

Jack T. Chick, whose cartoon tracts preached fundamentalist Christianity while vilifying secular society, evolution, homosexuality, and the beliefs of Catholics and Muslims, has died. He was 92. Chick died peacefully in his sleep on Sunday evening, according to a Facebook posting Monday by Chick Publications, based in Rancho Cucamonga, California. It did not provide other details, and a call for comment left after hours was not immediately returned. The posting promised that the company would continue Chick’s method, vision and purpose.
Chick’s pulpy, lurid cartoons combined traditional evangelism with frankly conspiracy-minded attacks. He and later other illustrators produced several hundred tracts over the decades. Latching onto the issues of the day, the tracts took aim at abortion, occultism, ecumenism and other perceived evils.

They portrayed everything from rock music to Dungeons & Dragons and Harry Potter as literal traps of the Devil.
One tract, “The Walking Dead,” tapped into the hit zombie TV show but argued: “We’re all like zombies. The spirits inside our souls are dead.”
As with underground comics of the 1960s and 1970s, Chick’s work opposed “The system.” But instead of the military-industrial complex or “The Man,” it was a secular society viewed as debased, demon-inspired and virulently anti-Christian.
One anti-evolution booklet, “Big Daddy?” has a college student exclaiming: “Then we didn’t evolve! The system has been feeding us The Big Lie! We really do have a soul!”
Chick managed to offend Catholics, Jews, Mormons, Jehovah’s Witnesses, Muslims and Freemasons who found their beliefs discounted, ridiculed or condemned as false — or worse.

God’s mercy on him.

I do not have a high opinion of Chick’s work. All the same,may he rest in peace.

I wish I could find Jimmy Akin’s Chick tract parody. It would be very poignant right now.

It’s sad when someone dies. But it’s almost just as sad that work in his style will go on.

Very few things in this world have the effect of driving an atheist even further away from faith than one of Jack Chick’s abominable comics/tracts. Those awful things have driven people from faith and brought mockery to Christianity.

Jack Chick now knows the full TRUTH, God have mercy on his soul. God Bless, Memaw

Yes, may God have mercy on his soul.

I need to pray for those who follow after Jack Chick.

I have to wonder if that wasn’t secretly Chick’s goal all along.

I shudder to think what his personal judgment looked like. It was either a terrifyingly brutal time in purgatory, or being damned to hell. It wasn’t pleasant.

I hope Mr. Chick is with God now.

Obviously, Mr. Chick’s beliefs were bizarre and pretty far from the truth. Still, his tracts were entertaining in a strange way.

God bless you, Jack. I pray your soul is with God.

I really enjoyed his comics, even though I’m a Catholic and didn’t share his views.

I do as well.

He worshiped God in his own way, the best he could, and that’s got to count for something.

Jack Chick wasn’t a particularly memorable artist. His drawings were adequate to their task, which was polemical – far more copy than art. Where his genius showed (if I can call it that) was in his means of distribution. I’ve seen Chick tracts in conference centers and hotel lobbies, church pews and gas station rest rooms; people could pass them out to you in-person, or could stick them under your windshield wiper in a parking lot. The whole purpose was to catch your interest and give you a way to respond. It was Marketing 101.

I must admit that when I was away from the Church, it was Chick tracts (in part) that inspired me to return. His hatred of all things Catholic bordered on the demonic. I figured that, if he hated those Cathlickers so much, there must be something in that religion to support such animus. What I found instead was the Truth.

Jack Chick is dead, but the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church is still with us – as it always will be.Proof positive once again that the “Gates of Hell shall not prevail…”

AC

The world of ******, hateful, ignorant cartoons lost an icon yesterday. I both pray for his soul, and am admittedly curious what his reaction was when he found out the truth upon death.

“Uh oh…”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.