Christian & catholic

No problem as far as I can see. My wife was a Lutheran before she converted to the Catholic Faith tradition. I used to go to the Lutheran service as well as Catholic and everything was fine. Like you said it was about respect for each others differences in faith matters. Then one day she said to me completely out of the blue that she wanted to convert and my concern was just for her to be sure about it. The only thing we had to do after her conversion was to get “re-married” in a Catholic setting as we too had been married civilly.

1 Like

You are both Christians.

If your husband did not get married by following Church law, he needs to talk to his priest about bringing his marriage into the Church. It’s called convalidation. It’s possible for a Catholic to marry a non-Catholic in a civil ceremony, but it requires some paperwork in the Catholic Church. If he didn’t do that, he needs to talk to his priest.

He is obligated to attend Mass on all Sundays and holy days of obligation. He can also go with you to your church, but he must go to the Catholic Church. He can go on Saturday evening or any time on Sunday.

When you marry, you leave your parents. So both of you are going to have to find your way as a married couple and put boundaries on your family if they continue to be uncharitable.

2 Likes

You say you are a Christian and your husband is a Catholic. That is completely wrong. Catholics are Christians, indeed they are the original Christians. I presume when you say you are a ‘Christian’ you belong to one of the many thousands of protestant denominations or a non-Catholic Christian ecclesial community that calls itself ‘non-denominational’.

As a married couple the first thing you should be doing is looking for the common ground such as your common belief in the one, true God.

There is no reason why either one of you should convert to the other’s branch of Christianity. Many married couples have good and strong marriages but go to different churches on Sundays.

It is important to note that unless your husband received a dispensation from canonical form from his diocese the Catholic Church considers your marriage invalid.

It is very important that you resolve these issues before your marriage is blessed with children. If you had married in the Catholic Church your husband would have had to make a promise that he would do all he reasonably could to have your children baptised and educated in the Catholic Faith. The Catholic Church will still expecthim to do this.

Your situation is what it is. It is sad that your family feel the way they do. It would be far better to all look at what you have in common. Take as your starting point your common belief in God. A lot of non-Catholic Christians hold a large variety of misconceptions about the Catholic Church. It would be good for your family to learn in a calm way the truth about the Catholic Church.

I wish you well and will pray for you.

2 Likes

Since you ask, (all links are operational)

The answer is

Do what Jesus said to do

He established only one Church on Peter and those in union with him…correct?
His Church is called [the Catholic Church]
from Acts, 9:31, the Church was called

From the Greek Study Bible
Ἡ μὲν οὖν ἐκκλησία καθ’ ὅλης τῆς
Translation:
ἐκκλησία = church ,
καθ’ = according to ,
ὅλης = whole / all / complete / universal ,
τῆς = the ,
= the Kataholos Church = the Catholic Church

He insists on perfect unity
Jesus said IF YOU LOVE ME It’s a conditional statement. Love is not a said love but a love in action

It is in scripture AND tradition, and the ongoing teaching of the Catholic Church, that a Catholic who deliberately misses mass on Sunday commits mortal sin . Scripture describes that as an obligation.

Therefore, your husband can’t miss mass in favor of going to your service.

2 Likes

Having to debate which church to attend sounds pretty sweet, if that’s the worst of your marital conflicts.

Both Churches are preaching God’s message, quoting the bible.

0 Likes

They aren’t equal.

Only ONE is His Church. The Catholic Church. Only ONE Church is being “in” His Catholic Church.

2 Likes

Yeah, Steve I’m not sure how hammering that home in that style would benefit a marriage. I think a slightly more diplomatic approach would generally work better between spouses.

3 Likes

Never suggested they were equal. But both are preaching God’s word from the same source.

1 Like

Steve’s right though, and I told my husband this many a time. If my husband had been one to argue over it with me, the marriage wouldn’t have lasted long…actually there probably wouldn’t have even been a marriage.

This notion that ecumenism means Protestant (or other non-Catholic) churches are somehow equal or equivalent to the Catholic Church does not fit with Catholic belief. A strong Catholic doesn’t tiptoe around the issue.

3 Likes

I don’t believe at this point myself that any of them are anything but fanciful notions about things we have no real clue about. However, been a strong Catholic would be rather different than banging out statement that there is only one Church. My wife’s great-grandmother was prone to doing this and regarded the Orthodox Church as the only true Church and viewed Catholicism as Satanic and she sure was not hesistant in letting you know that either. Much to the emberassment at times of her daughter and grand-daughter who would apologize and point out she was a very old lady and they didn’t share her point of view. Myself I found it amusing and didn’t take offence. I sadly only knew her slightly before she died, but a classic line of hers that sticks with me is, ‘Your young man doesn’t seem too bad for a non-Russian, even though he’s Catholic.’ Said to her great-grand-daughter shortly before her death. More annoying is my mum’s surviving sister who will at any and every opportunity start lecturing you about how if you are not Catholic the perils of Hell await you. My father who is a very devout Catholic finds this so annoying that if she calls to the house he goes for a walk. He calls it ‘spiritual terrorism’.

1 Like

Look at the sources I quoted. Was my name on any of them? No.

0 Likes

When us Catholics do our Profession of Faith every Sunday, we say,
“I believe in one Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church”. To us, that means the one we are standing in, reciting the Profession of Faith.

I would not call someone else’s religion “satanic” unless they actually do worship Satan. I’m not an extremist.

But as far as I’m concerned, if you’re going to be a non-Catholic and in a relationship with me, I believe what I believe, which is above. I don’t believe in “two Holy Catholic and Apostolic Churches”, mine and the partner’s, nor do I believe that theirs is the One, or equivalent to the One. If the other person wanted to make a “Branch Theory” type argument with me that his church and my church and so forth are all just “branches” of the same One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church founded by Jesus, I’d say, “OK if we’re all branches, you can just hop over and sit on my branch with me.”

That’s just how it is and how I was raised. I’m a stubborn person anyway and religion is something I don’t back down on. My grands didn’t go through religious persecution for me to cave in because I was afraid of upsetting someone.

2 Likes

As you identify yourself as a current agnostic with some remnants of Catholicism left, I would expect that answer from you.

I would have simply seen that as an opportunity to ask her to prove her belief. That’s how it works.

When you were Catholic,

Do you remember WHY or maybe you never learned WHY, it has always been taught from the beginning, and still taught today, that outside the Catholic Church there is no salvation?

0 Likes

Re: same source :thinking:

Their source is a bit light. 7 fewer book

Seeing that the NT’s are the same, I don’t see any passage in the NT that says one can divide from the Church Jesus instituted without disastrous consequences

0 Likes

My wife’s great-grandmother was over 90 and very ill and nearing the end of her life and in great pain a lot of the time. It would have been inappropriate to start conversations where I challenged her in her own home, as I was a guest there. It would have been considered very disrespectful indeed. Her son was an atheist but he still made sure when she passed she was buried in accordance with the rites of the Orthodox Church as that was one of her final wishes. Also, please do not speculate about what I was or was not taught as a child in that manner again. It is offensive. I will point out that given my aunt is a religious sister and my later mother and father were very devout Catholics I certainly was taught about the concept of Extra Ecclesiam nulla salus. The fact I do not believe it or agree with it does not mean I don’t understand it. I simply regard it as pious nonsense.

2 Likes

You didn’t write them, but you selected (cherry-picked?) them and wielded them in what I perceive as an uncharitable manner. There are better ways to use a bible to instruct people than hitting them with it.

1 Like

In fairness, That’s not how you presented the point originally

I was merely taking from your own acknowledgement Re: Religion on your identification page. "Agnostic with some attachment to Catholic traditions remaining."

Based on your identification, I made a fair and respectful point.

Okay. You made an informed decision. Understood.

0 Likes

How is quoting scripture hitting them with it.

0 Likes

Do you really not understand how the manner of presentation can completely change how the message is received?

1 Like

Are you really going to lecture Jesus and Paul etc that they needed to say things more sensitively?

When Jesus said only a few are saved, is He not being NICE?
When Paul said after listing certain sins, that those who do them won’t inherit heaven, is Paul not NICE?

0 Likes

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.