Christian & catholic

Look at the sources I quoted. Was my name on any of them? No.

When us Catholics do our Profession of Faith every Sunday, we say,
“I believe in one Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church”. To us, that means the one we are standing in, reciting the Profession of Faith.

I would not call someone else’s religion “satanic” unless they actually do worship Satan. I’m not an extremist.

But as far as I’m concerned, if you’re going to be a non-Catholic and in a relationship with me, I believe what I believe, which is above. I don’t believe in “two Holy Catholic and Apostolic Churches”, mine and the partner’s, nor do I believe that theirs is the One, or equivalent to the One. If the other person wanted to make a “Branch Theory” type argument with me that his church and my church and so forth are all just “branches” of the same One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church founded by Jesus, I’d say, “OK if we’re all branches, you can just hop over and sit on my branch with me.”

That’s just how it is and how I was raised. I’m a stubborn person anyway and religion is something I don’t back down on. My grands didn’t go through religious persecution for me to cave in because I was afraid of upsetting someone.

As you identify yourself as a current agnostic with some remnants of Catholicism left, I would expect that answer from you.

I would have simply seen that as an opportunity to ask her to prove her belief. That’s how it works.

When you were Catholic,

Do you remember WHY or maybe you never learned WHY, it has always been taught from the beginning, and still taught today, that outside the Catholic Church there is no salvation?

Re: same source :thinking:

Their source is a bit light. 7 fewer book

Seeing that the NT’s are the same, I don’t see any passage in the NT that says one can divide from the Church Jesus instituted without disastrous consequences

My wife’s great-grandmother was over 90 and very ill and nearing the end of her life and in great pain a lot of the time. It would have been inappropriate to start conversations where I challenged her in her own home, as I was a guest there. It would have been considered very disrespectful indeed. Her son was an atheist but he still made sure when she passed she was buried in accordance with the rites of the Orthodox Church as that was one of her final wishes. Also, please do not speculate about what I was or was not taught as a child in that manner again. It is offensive. I will point out that given my aunt is a religious sister and my later mother and father were very devout Catholics I certainly was taught about the concept of Extra Ecclesiam nulla salus. The fact I do not believe it or agree with it does not mean I don’t understand it. I simply regard it as pious nonsense.

You didn’t write them, but you selected (cherry-picked?) them and wielded them in what I perceive as an uncharitable manner. There are better ways to use a bible to instruct people than hitting them with it.

In fairness, That’s not how you presented the point originally

I was merely taking from your own acknowledgement Re: Religion on your identification page. "Agnostic with some attachment to Catholic traditions remaining."

Based on your identification, I made a fair and respectful point.

Okay. You made an informed decision. Understood.

How is quoting scripture hitting them with it.

Do you really not understand how the manner of presentation can completely change how the message is received?

Are you really going to lecture Jesus and Paul etc that they needed to say things more sensitively?

When Jesus said only a few are saved, is He not being NICE?
When Paul said after listing certain sins, that those who do them won’t inherit heaven, is Paul not NICE?

I said absolutely nothing to or about Jesus or Paul, as you should be well aware. I am done.

Jesus and Hebrews etc, is who I quoted.

So please explain

Argumentative today?
You are nitpicking without adding a useful distinction.
Everyone but maybe you got I was referring to the bible,
but was not claiming it was the EXACT same set of books or translation

My comments were at appropriate detail for the question posed by the OP.

I wan’t nitpicking. I was looking for specifics

As the late Sir Terry Pratchett observed it’s always lovely to see how people can berate and beat each other up in the name of a religion founded on love.

Here’s the definition for you. What did you mean by looking for “specifics”?

nit·pick·ing: looking for small or unimportant errors or faults, especially in order to criticize unnecessarily.

This is simple. You need to set boundaries and tell your family that you will not interact with them if they continue to ask you these prying questions.

This is the post that started my response to you HERE

I was responding to what looked like to me your equalization of The Catholic Church and an ecclesial community. I would argue, that’s not nit picking, nor unimportant… especially given the topic,

To be fair, as an atheist, he didn’t like religion anyway

Hi OP, I’m also in a “mixed” marriage. We’ve been married for over 15 years and our difference in religion has been a minor blip on the radar. Only time for us when it becomes a bigger blip is when something unchairatable is said about non-Catholics at her church.

We haven’t had much of a big deal with our families. I don’t think her Dad was hot on his first born marrying someone who isn’t Catholic and now 3 out of 5 of the siblings are married to non-Catholics (or one non practicing). They got over it and it actually turned out to not be that big of deal.

I’ve never felt any sort of pressure to convert.

I know what you meant here…

We do the same, I’d say 95-98% of the time we go to her Catholic church but we do spend time at my non-denominational church as well. She enjoys going to my church too, sermons are fantastic and there’s always great fellowship. We were able to go at Christmas (my home church is over 2hrs away), and we really enjoyed that.

It really comes down to respect. As long as you both respect each other and your background, you’re golden. I’d just say that you need to put the brakes on your family pressuring him to “change his beliefs”. Family meddling can really put stress in a relationship that doesn’t and shouldn’t be there.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.