Christian college begins process to remove professor who wore a hijab

cnn.com/2016/01/05/us/wheaton-college-professor-hijab/

“I stand in human solidarity with my Muslim neighbor because we are formed of the same primordial clay …,” she added. “I stand in religious solidarity with Muslims because they, like me, a Christian, are people of the book. And as Pope Francis stated last week, we worship the same God.”

This theme of worshiping the same God is causing concern. Please also consider that people worship many idols/gods…sex, money, food, sports, themselves, etc.

As Catholics, we rely on the Church to make clear the path to One God…that One God as stated beautifully and perfectly elaborated in the Apostolic Creed.

Any thoughts on this new movement to incorporate the world to worship one generic god?

841 The Church’s relationship with the Muslims. “The plan of salvation also includes those who acknowledge the Creator, in the first place amongst whom are the Muslims;** these profess to hold the faith of Abraham, and together with us they adore the one, merciful God, mankind’s judge on the last day**.”

This does not mean we would agree that Islam has access to the same level of truth as found in Catholicism but Muslim and Jews do most certainly worship the one true God. I’d want to know a lot more about a)this college b)her motives in wearing Hijab and c) her history with the college before I’d say who was in the right here.

Back in 2004, a Wheaton philosophy professor named Joshua Hochschild was fired by the college after he left evangelical Protestantism and became Catholic. (See firstthings.com/article/2006/04/to-be-a-christian-college and wsj.com/articles/SB113659805227040466 )

It’s no surprise that Wheaton, as an institution, holds certain beliefs. And it further should be no surprise to its professors (who have to sign a statement of faith) that publicly expressing beliefs in contradiction to the beliefs of the institution might lead to unemployment.

However, I don’t recall the same public outrage over professor Hochschild’s dismissal as over the potential dismissal of the hijab-wearing professor.

It’s not a new movement. She was stating Catholic teaching (see JharekCarnelian’s post above). We are the only Christian church to affirm that we worship the same God as the Muslims. It all goes back to Abraham and he only worshiped one God.

From what I understand this is a conservative non-Catholic college which is probably not overly fond of Catholicism either. I can see the photo of the lady in the original post, why they are making such a big deal elude me entirely. My Late mother wore head scarves like that till the day she died and as did many women of her generation. My wife does sometimes as well although hers tend to be rather more colourful than my mother would have favoured as they are from very different ethnic groups. It all seem to mountains out of molehills stuff.

vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p123a9p3.htm

841 The Church’s relationship with the Muslims. "The plan of salvation also includes those who acknowledge the Creator, in the first place amongst whom are the Muslims; these profess to hold the faith of Abraham, and together with us they adore the one, merciful God, mankind’s judge on the last day."330

Maybe you wish to read the whole part in Proffession of Faith. It is explained there.

There’s no way to tell from the article what is really happening, and employers, generally, are precluded by privacy laws from commenting on personnel matters - although Wheaton’s administration does not seem to be constrained by privacy laws.

Here is Wheaton College President Philip Ryken comment (made shortly after the professor was placed on leave) that seems to indicate why they are not terminating this professor:
“The college has no stated position on the wearing of headscarves as a gesture of care and concern for those in Muslim or religious communities that may face discrimination or persecution,” Ryken said.

And here is a statement from the college about why they are terminating the professor:

"The school said the action was taken after ‘Dr. Hawkins declined to participate in further dialogue about the theological implications of her public statements.’ "

It occurs to me that Dr. Hawkins might be happier in a different academic environment where she would not be throwing her “pearls before swine.”

“Do not give what is holy to dogs” or throw your pearls before swine, lest they trample them underfoot, and turn and tear you to pieces."

Sounds like there’s quite a bit of heat in there between both sides sadly.

I wonder if this would be against the law? Could she say she was discriminated against because of religion?

I understand what you say here but…

This can be said about anyone (not just Muslims) who has not yet received Jesus as Lord and Savior.
Every religion has its own epistemology of which they consider to be true in regard to origin, purpose and ultimate outcome.
Christians believe that Jesus Christ reconciles man with God. Jesus Christ is the salvation destination for all who believe. Jesus is the ultimate revelation of Catholic Church.
Simply put…there are billions who know God but have not yet received Christ the Divine Truth as Lord and Savior. There are many who profess to be Christians but haven’t yet accepted Jesus as The Way, The Truth and The Life.

Creation stories are many yet similar per religion and most hold tenets of a single creator. It seems wrongful (to me) to place any religion outside of Catholicism as first place amongst the others in God’s plan of Salvation. How can man rank those in line for God’s plan of salvation outside the one and only Truth?

If you work of Coca-Cola, you can’t go around publicly talking about how great Pepsi is, and expect to keep your job.

Let’s not compare God to carbonated fizzy drinks which are inherently unhealthy junk.

Apparently not.

cbsnews.com/news/wheaton-college-larycia-hawkins-statements-islam-christianity/

It’s not a Catholic college. They don’t believe Christians and Muslims worship the same God, nor do alot of Catholics.

The first is of course very true and the college seems not to love Catholicism too much either based on some other reports However as the second whether Catholics believe Muslims worship the same God or not is something they need to sort out for themselves and reconcile with Church teaching on the matter.

I’m not comparing God to drinks. I’m making an analogy that an employee can’t contradict the purpose, beliefs and mission of their employer and hope to remain employed long.

Apparently not. I suspect there is some long running grudge or clash of wills here on both sides were not privy to. Wearing a headscarf is just that, wearing a headscarf. No big deal and I couldn’t care less if any women wishes to or not myself, it’s their personal choice to do so.

It doesn’t matter if Muslims believe in the same God or not. The God in the koran curses Christians.

I actually thought it was a good analogy and put it in a simple way.

if Muslims and Christians worship the same God as do Christians and Jews - why is the Koran not a part of our Bible?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.