Christian/Islam Debate

this is fascinating. How might the Christian man have done any better than he did? Thoughts?

youtube.com/watch?v=5mXkEz9muao

A very intense and well rounded argument. I may have reacted differently when the non-Christian gentleman began to argue that God is selfish by killing Jesus instead of Himself. The Christian gentleman may have hit home not only by saying that God did not kill Jesus- that we killed Jesus by our sins against God- but that Jesus is God, therefore God created a perfect plan and willingly submitted to His own plan (and crucifixion) for our salvation by dying for us.

I am not very good at theology, philosophy, debating or anything along those lines though, and I am grateful to understand the very basics of Catholicism. I bet the guy on the right would have torn apart my argument in three seconds!

Immediate thought is that the Christian man should not have been yelling what he was saying and that he should not have interrupted so much. The way the Christian man was behaving did not allow for a beneficial dialog.

I appreciate the Christian guy facing that Muslim guys questions But I also think that the other guy was quite honest and willing to hear what the Christian was saying. However, it is generally in my experience hard to explain to a Muslim because frankly its all “too much” to take in one sitting on what Jesus’ death and resurrection means to humanity.

Perhaps if one can get to the point where you can invite a Muslim to come Church (good luck with that;)) and listen to how we worship. Then again being a Catholic who goes for daily Mass I don’t expect other Christians to take this route:shrug:

MJ

Immediate thought is that the Christian man should not have been yelling what he was saying and that he should not have interrupted so much. The way the Christian man was behaving did not allow for a beneficial dialog.

A healthy dialogue can be developed with a Muslim when a discussion is based on their turf. For example the topic about justice united with forgiveness can start by discussing a hadith taken from sahih Muslim:

Abu Burda reported Allah’s Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying: There would come people amongst the Muslims on the Day of Resurrection with as heavy sins as a mountain, and Allah would forgive them and He would place in their stead the Jews and the Christians. – 6668

From this we can engage the idea of God ‘s method of forgiveness and substitution with Jesus rather than the Jews and Christians.

In my experience a debate hardly works, it only hardens the hearts of Christians and Muslims alike. Muslims are won over by deeds. Muslims have far more respect for St Mother Teresa than our top apologists…

God bless,

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.