Christian 'kibbutz' / family monastic environment?

Please forgive me if this is in the wrong forum category - this seemed the closest I could find based on the question I want to ask...

Basically I have wondered, on and off over the years, whether there are any Christian, or more specifically Catholic, kibbutzim in the world.

It occurred to me years ago, in a daydream, that it would be lovely if there was some sort of communal structure that individuals and families could become resident members of that emulated to some extent the monastic structure.

It first occurred to me after I saw M Night Shyamalan's 'The Village' in which was depicted a 'utopian' ideal of a simple communal life (albeit, for the dramatic purpose, one with some serious shortcomings) and I wondered if a version such a thing could be possible in the real world.

Say, for example, a group of Catholic families got together, and either bought or built a new village somewhere where the community held things in common, where they ate in common, prayed in common, played in common, etc. I don't necessarily mean that they would be sequestered from the world (since clearly people would have to be free to come and go and to earn livings outside if needs be), but that the charism of the community was communally oriented in a way that 'secular' parishes aren't.

Basically, I wondered if such a community would ever have a 'canonical' structure to fit in, whether it would work, whether even if it'd be a good idea.

Has anyone ever heard of anything like this?

By the way, it wouldn't be anything like the Stepford Wives!

GOOD re the stepford wives!! :eek:

Seriously, I think this has been attempted. I seem to remember something in Colorado I read about but have no information on that. You might check out John Michael Talbots website. He has a kind of Lay monastic group in Arkansas which I think has some official standing within the diocese and Church. That might be a starting point for you. God Bless

Didn’t the founder of either Papa Johns or Dominos try something on a large scale similar to this in Florida? Basically trying to create a Catholic town in Florida. I remember the ACLU and people like that got all up in arms worried about litmus tests and things like that required to live and buy in the area.

Now if someone or some organization owns all the land and allows people to live there I have a feeling they can’t really complain.

In the US, there has been a long history of intentional communities of the type you mention. Among Catholics, in recent years they tend to have a charismatic focus. You can Google “covenant communities” to learn more.

Generally speaking, such communities of like-minded persons do well for one generation. But the children who grow up there often are not as idealistic and as committed as their parents.

John Michael Talbot community
littleportion.org/

I found this one on the Institute of Religious Life site, not sure if it is what you are looking for, though.
db.religiouslife.com/reg_life/irl.nsf/org/139

[quote="DexUK, post:1, topic:272004"]
Please forgive me if this is in the wrong forum category - this seemed the closest I could find based on the question I want to ask...

Basically I have wondered, on and off over the years, whether there are any Christian, or more specifically Catholic, kibbutzim in the world.

It occurred to me years ago, in a daydream, that it would be lovely if there was some sort of communal structure that individuals and families could become resident members of that emulated to some extent the monastic structure.

It first occurred to me after I saw M Night Shyamalan's 'The Village' in which was depicted a 'utopian' ideal of a simple communal life (albeit, for the dramatic purpose, one with some serious shortcomings) and I wondered if a version such a thing could be possible in the real world.

Say, for example, a group of Catholic families got together, and either bought or built a new village somewhere where the community held things in common, where they ate in common, prayed in common, played in common, etc. I don't necessarily mean that they would be sequestered from the world (since clearly people would have to be free to come and go and to earn livings outside if needs be), but that the charism of the community was communally oriented in a way that 'secular' parishes aren't.

Basically, I wondered if such a community would ever have a 'canonical' structure to fit in, whether it would work, whether even if it'd be a good idea.

[/quote]

There is such a community in Kentucky, comprised of some Lay Dominicans and their families:

newhope-ky.org/about.html

[quote="DexUK, post:1, topic:272004"]

[/quote]

Plain Catholics--"CathAmish"--are considered "family eremitical" and are protected as such, at least by my organization. They can be googled, as their URL has slipped my mind. Their webhost changed names, so that's why I recommend googling them.

They don't have a "commune" setting as of yet, but plan one for sometime in the future.

Blessings,
Cloisters

We are way behind other churches in this.

Amish and Bruderhof are excellent examples. Bruderhof have an excellent web site.

bruderhof.com/

It was also the ancient Celtic way here in Ireland. Before Thurles etc.

This is something that I saw posted on here a while ago, it's from the Catholic worker movement started by Dorothy Day.
catholicworker.org/communities/commlistall.cfm

And, for you, it lists 4 such communities in the U.K. I myself know little about them. But, all of them are intentional communities. In one way or another. And they could focus on anything... from healing drug addicts, to organic gardens and ending wars...

very interesting. can't wait to read the links.

closed #12

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.