Christian Magick?

Would it be alright to use Magick in God’s name? In the Old Testement, people used magick in God’s name. Like, for example:

Jacob increased his flocks by mating them in front of reeds.
Joseph divined through dream interpretation and a divining cup.
Moses healed by lifting up a bronze snake.
Moses brought victory by raising his arms.
Joshua stopped the Jordan by touching it with a Holy item.
Samson increased his strength by growing his hair long.
The Priests divined by casting the Urim and Thurim.
Elisha healed Naaman through a complex ritual of washing.
Prophets divined by having harps played.
Daniel interpreted dreams.
The Eleven divined the 12th Apostle by casting lots.
Peter healed by his shadow.
Paul healed by blessing handkerchiefs and sending them out.
James taught healing by anointing with oil.

And God had no problem with that, because they were His followers and they were done in His name. Look at where the Bible condemns witchcraft. Most witches use magick invoking spirits, demons, their false gods, even just in their own power never the True Christian God. What if you did invoke a spell but did it in God’s name? Would that still be a sin?

Read this article here: members.aol.com/RawnaMoon/magick.html

[quote=Chazemataz]Would it be alright to use Magick in God’s name? In the Old Testement, people used magick in God’s name. Like, for example:

Jacob increased his flocks by mating them in front of reeds.
Joseph divined through dream interpretation and a divining cup.
Moses healed by lifting up a bronze snake.
Moses brought victory by raising his arms.
Joshua stopped the Jordan by touching it with a Holy item.
Samson increased his strength by growing his hair long.
The Priests divined by casting the Urim and Thurim.
Elisha healed Naaman through a complex ritual of washing.
Prophets divined by having harps played.
Daniel interpreted dreams.
The Eleven divined the 12th Apostle by casting lots.
Peter healed by his shadow.
Paul healed by blessing handkerchiefs and sending them out.
James taught healing by anointing with oil.

And God had no problem with that, because they were His followers and they were done in His name. Look at where the Bible condemns witchcraft. Most witches use magick invoking spirits, demons, their false gods, even just in their own power never the True Christian God. What if you did invoke a spell but did it in God’s name? Would that still be a sin?

Read this article here: members.aol.com/RawnaMoon/magick.html
[/quote]

First of all, it’s magic not magick.

Second, what you cite isn’t magic, it’s the power of the Holy Spirit. Supernatural power isn’t magic. Too many people confuse the supernatural with magic.

[quote=Chazemataz]Would it be alright to use Magick in God’s name? In the Old Testement, people used magick in God’s name. Like, for example:

[/quote]

There is nothing that happens without God’s help. Thus there is no magic, Magick, Reincarnation or any of the other things. All of these things are of Satan. Don’t be fooled. It likes to get you thinking in supposed “grey” areas. There are no grey areas.

Stick with Jesus and quit dabbling with things of Satan…It can only get to you through your will. Turn your will to God.

[quote=Donna P]There is nothing that happens without God’s help. Thus there is no magic, Magick, Reincarnation or any of the other things. All of these things are of Satan. Don’t be fooled. It likes to get you thinking in supposed “grey” areas. There are no grey areas.

Stick with Jesus and quit dabbling with things of Satan…It can only get to you through your will. Turn your will to God.
[/quote]

I agree with you for the most part, most witchcraft are tools of Satan. However I am talking about using the power of the Holy Spirit instead of the stupid false gods the Wiccans and neopagans worship. I was simply asking a question about if it would be a sin to use this “Christian magic” they talk about. I was just using the terminology Christian witches use: They call it “Christian magick”. I do not believe in any Wiccan teachings as they are all false and a one-way trip to Hell.

[quote=Chazemataz]I agree with you for the most part, most witchcraft are tools of Satan. However I am talking about using the power of the Holy Spirit instead of the stupid false gods the Wiccans and neopagans worship. I was simply asking a question about if it would be a sin to use this “Christian magic” they talk about. I was just using the terminology Christian witches use: They call it “Christian magick”. I do not believe in any Wiccan teachings as they are all false and a one-way trip to Hell.
[/quote]

Hi Chaz. There is no such thing as “Christian Magick”. Any time someone casts a spell, they are attempting to take for themselves the power which belongs to God alone. The things you mentioned in your original post were not done by magic (or Magick, as the new age pagans like to call it)-- they were done entirely by the power of God using those people as His instruments. Someone who is trying use magic, even if said magic was intended to do good, is trying to harness the power of God for his or her own purposes.

[quote=Chazemataz]However I am talking about using the power of the Holy Spirit instead of the stupid false gods the Wiccans and neopagans worship.
[/quote]

I have bolded the part of your quote that is key in this question. We don’t use the Holy Spirit. He uses us. So discerning between holy miracles and witchcraft, you must ask yourself who is the initiator. If it you–if it is your idea and you are attempting to tap into supernatural power, treating the Holy Spirit like Luke Skywalker’s Force–you are on dangerous ground.

The Holy Spirit is sovereign. He is a Person. He has intentions and a will. If He wants to use you to perform a miracle, He will initiate it. If you find yourself naturally drawn to such things, I would use an extra dose of caution.

Chazemataz: I agree with everyone else here. You cannot use the power of the Holy Spirit; He uses us.

Anything else to the contrary that you may have heard is pure Evil and comes from the other place. Pray for the strength and wisdom to overcome the temptation.

the examples you list from the old testament are people acting under God’s direction according to His commandments, not people dabbling in and exploiting the supernatural for their own ends, on their own initiative. Satan is always urging evil men to do many thing’s invoking God’s name blasphemously, such as white southern preachers in the US defending slavery and the Klan, extremists bombing abortion clinics, break-away Mormon sects practising polygamy.

[quote=Swiss Guard]First of all, it’s magic not magick.

Second, what you cite isn’t magic, it’s the power of the Holy Spirit. Supernatural power isn’t magic. Too many people confuse the supernatural with magic.
[/quote]

Quite right. God’s miracles are not sorcery.

I seem to remember the word “magick” is an archaic spelling that was revived in the 20th century by Alistair (or Aleister) Crowley. He added the letter “k” mainly because in his system of numerology that letter equated with sex. Crowley was, until he left it, a member of the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn, an organisation with all sorts of magic rituals calling upon all sorts of forces. The poet W B Yeats was a member too.

He died a penniless heroin addict in a boarding house. This end to his life could be a lesson to us all about where this magick can lead. I am thankful that it was only a short period of my life that I was devouring his books and those of people like Israel Regardie of the Golden Dawn, thankful that God kept me from going far down that road.

I looked at the site. It creeped me out big time. In the first place, as others have all ready said, there is no such thing as “Christian magick”. Magic & witchcraft are **always **pagan.
Also, they are misusing scripture really badly. If you will look up those stories, many of them are not even accurate retelling of the basic facts of the stories. (I notice that they give no Biblical references…:hmmm: maybe they are counting on it that most people will not check?)
This kind of thing is even more dangerous, IMHO, than “magic” that calls itself pagan or wiccan. Precisely because it sounds more innocent. A lot of people who have gotten mixed up in what I have come to call New Age “woowoo” can tell you that this is what you start out with. (Been there, done that, & praise God, made it back again!) Please leave it alone. It is very, very dangerous!
God bless.

The website hyperlink in the first post is very, very suspect. It is the website of someone who calls herself a ‘Christian Witch’. This is a contradiction in terms in itself!

I followed some of the links I found on the site. They include:
The University of Creation Spirituality which is one of Mathew Fox’s projects.
There are also links to the works of :
Alfred North Whitehead
Carl Jung
The Jesus Seminar
The Gnostic Society Library
Pagans for Jesus

New Age? Definitely. Evil? Certainly. Should any Catholic Christian be lurking on this site? No!

Well, thats my :twocents:

I agree with all of the posts so far. There is no Christian Magick, it is an attempt to manipulate and control God. It is like gnostics who try to associate themselves with Christian terms and images without really accepting the Gospel. They try to have God and spirituality on their terms without real moral conversion or submission to His divine authority.

I haven’t met many (if any) “Christian witches”. But in the town I grew up in, and in many other places in the UK you can find “Christian Spiritualist” churches.

Another contradiction in terms.

In this town both the Spiritualists and the Theosophists meet at the Quaker meeting house. Personally I think George Fox and the other early Quakers would be apalled.

Well, Asteroid, as a former Quaker myself I definitely think George Fox would have been appalled.

One of the reasons I left my local Quaker meeting in London was because I discovered that there were two practising ‘White’ Witches in it. As George would have exclaimed: Ye mind boggles! :eek:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.