Christian Missionaries Arrested At Dearborn Islam Festival

pipelinenews.org/index.cfm?page=dearborn6.28.10.htm

People on the net and talk radio are asking the question. Are the Dearborn police enforcing Sharia Law in Michigan.

[quote="Seamus_L, post:1, topic:203993"]

People on the net and talk radio are asking the question. Are the Dearborn police enforcing Sharia Law in Michigan.

[/quote]

Obviously, the missionaries were not exercising good judgement.

This same christian group I think pulls this stunt at the festifal every year.

They go into an area where they know they are going to cause trouble by "spreading the word" of Jesus which they know will antagonize the people in the area (because it does every year). When it does cause trouble (as they know it will) they scream religious freedom and freedom of speech. They bring it upon themselves.

[quote="gamewell45, post:2, topic:203993"]
Obviously, the missionaries were not exercising good judgement.

[/quote]

Indeed like St. Paul when he preached in the synagogue and nearly got murdered by the Jews.

I disagree with part of this and agree with part of it.

If it's just literature distribution, then I think it's fine - it's a Constitutional right and in addition to that I don't think it's fundamentally wrong to distribute leaflets supporting your position. Many groups (both grassroots and otherwise) do that, even in the digital age. Aside from a minor litter concern, I don't find it unsavory at all.

My question is whether these evangelists in Detroit were filming people without their permission and how aggressive they were getting with their cameras. It's probably still wrong to arrest them unless they can get 'em on trespass or something like that.

I have to admit, if someone came into my party with a videocamera and starting grilling my guests, I might call the cops. If they were doing it on a public street outside my party, I still might call the cops to see what happens, thinking at a minimum the presence of The Man will scare them off.

I'm just wondering how aggressive these guys really were and if provoking a police response might have been part of the plan.

They usually go for the passive aggressive approach that gets people all riled up and then go "what I wasn't doing anything".

The entire scene does illustrate the rather frightening increase in the power and influence of Shar'ia, though... :eek:

I grew up in Detroit, about 3 miles from Dearborn. I have seen the slow but persistent take over by muslim immigrants & their children. The change has been dramatic. It was one of the early cities to face a nativity scene challenge, because it was set up on the town hall lawn. Slowly but surely, halal was introduced at school menus, non muslims became a taunted minority in some schools, when a resident complained, they were accused of either racism or "intolerance". It is the largest muslim demographic outside of the middle east.The changes have been going on since the early 80's at least.
Its kind of funny to me that the Dearborn cops are involved. When I was a kid, black people were warned about driving through Dearborn. The cops there certainly appeared to practice DWB. We used to look out of curiosity, when we saw someone pulled over. 9x's out of 10, black & 2 or 3 or more cop cars to do it. So I am not surprised to see the police infiltrated & made muslim sensitive.

how very tolerant--we can learn so much from islam. i hope we don't allow racism and hatred to keep islam from spreading in our country. we are not a judeo-christian one, but as the dear leader says, a muslim one as well.

i say we applaud the police for their brave actions!!! sharia law is just one more facet of our wonderfully diverse and multicultural society.

[quote="Seamus_L, post:1, topic:203993"]

[/quote]

:rotfl::
Is it possible to have found a more biased news source? :o:

Previous court rulings okayed this group to distribute literature outside the perimeter of the festival .
abclocal.go.com/wjrt/story?section=news/state&id=7510126

But these guys weren't satisfied with that. No, they deliberately wanted to create a scene which would lead to their arrest. They've done this before, with similar results. These guys are media hounds. They aren't looking to convert anyone, they are looking to get news attention for themselves.

While they may aggrandize themselves, certainly they do not advance the cause of Christianity.

Oh no... the poor horribly down trodden Muslims. However will they live in such a racist, backwards society:rolleyes:

But these guys weren't satisfied with that. No, they deliberately wanted to create a scene which would lead to their arrest.

where is the evidence. you're link didn't show this was the case. either way, i look forward to more islamic immigration into our country. the dear leader thinks america will benefit from their wonderful faith.

If this story represents the relevant facts, arresting them is clearly unconstitutional, and the courts will throw out such arrests.
Freedom of speech and assembly means giving such freedom to people we don't like, since no one will violate it for those the public does like. If you don't like this group? The law extends to everyone, not only people we like.

[quote="mdgspencer, post:13, topic:203993"]
If this story represents the relevant facts, arresting them is clearly unconstitutional, and the courts will throw out such arrests.
Freedom of speech and assembly means giving such freedom to people we don't like, since no one will violate it for those the public does like. If you don't like this group? The law extends to everyone, not only people we like.

[/quote]

There's already a thread on this issue which I've commented so I'll be brief:

Comparing this "missionary" to St Paul is an insult to the great Apostle -- he didn't stage events for the camera knowing that his worst "martyrdom" would be a couple hours' inconvenience.

The right to assembly is the right to exclude those one does not wish to associate with.

This is not a Muslim-Christian issue. Arab Christians are represented at the festival.

I DO have a big problem with the cops confiscating the video camera.

I am ashamed of the TMLC, they seem to use incidents like this and misrepresent them for propaganda and fund-raising purposes.

[quote="Dee_Dee_King, post:12, topic:203993"]
where is the evidence. you're link didn't show this was the case. either way, i look forward to more islamic immigration into our country. the dear leader thinks america will benefit from their wonderful faith.

[/quote]

Admittedly, Islam does lend itself well to those who have a totalitarian bent, as leftists invariably do.

It's funny how you mock tollerance in a previous post but then in this one you obviously seem to have no tollerance for for other cultures yourself.

Also a nice touch compairing the president to Kim Jong Il with the "dear leader" reference, which isn't actually a comparison, just something the tea party made up like comparing him to Hitler. Yup, you just reek of tollerance.

Meh.

Members of the Nation of Islam have handed out information close to the New Cathedral in St. Louis. They're Constitutionally guaranteed that right, but seeing it on a Sunday morning reflects poor taste.

Wasn't this an "Arab Festival"? If so and not actually called a "Muslim Festival", there are a substantial amount of people that are Christian anyway that classify themselves as Arab. Aside from that, the "law" states that they cannot approach people or even hand any liturature out within a 5 block radius of this area. Now what kind of "law" that is, I don't really know, but one thing I can tell you for absolute positive.......It's not an AMERICAN LAW. Unconstitutional as all get out.

I don't know about you all, but personally I would rather not live by Sharia Law....I am in America and would like the laws to reflect AMERICAN PRINCIPLES based on the Constitution not MUSLIM PRINCIPLES based on Sharia Law.

Well, as for me all, I would much rather than nobody live under sharia law. the best that can be said about it is that it is better than no law at all.

and I am not even sure about that actually.

It's funny how you mock tollerance in a previous post but then in this one you obviously seem to have no tollerance for for other cultures yourself.

the only culture for me is one that has been redeemed by the catholic faith. if that makes me intollerant, then i am--as serious catholics are intollerant of the homosexual agenda, secularization, fanatical islam ... etc. the bigger question is why are there so many leftists on a catholic forum.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.