Christian-Muslim Debates

I’m currently on an Islamic website debating with a Muslim. I’m starting to question my motives of why I’m even debating him. I know by the time it’s over neither one of us will convert. I’m not sure if I’m doing this to feed my pride or just plainly defending the faith. I’m sick of this guy’s attitude, day after day he quotes from the bible boasting how he can demonstrate how his religion is superior. So far he is not doing very well in defending his position. Again I’m not sure of my motives…

I know he won’t change but there are many lurkers in this thread we are debating. Shall I continue or stop?

If you aren’t sure of your own motives, I’d suggest you just drop it. No use engaging in a debate that you know won’t produce anything and that you think you might be having for the wrong reason (pride).

[quote=Augustine3] I’m currently on an Islamic website debating with a Muslim. I’m starting to question my motives of why I’m even debating him. I know by the time it’s over neither one of us will convert. I’m not sure if I’m doing this to feed my pride or just plainly defending the faith. I’m sick of this guy’s attitude, day after day he quotes from the bible boasting how he can demonstrate how his religion is superior. So far he is not doing very well in defending his position. Again I’m not sure of my motives…

I know he won’t change but there are many lurkers in this thread we are debating. Shall I continue or stop?
[/quote]

Only the Holy Spirit can change hearts. Our job it to present the truth. And if it is His will, he will work with the seed you planted. It sounds like you should move on.

Posted from Catholic.com App for Android

If you’ve been debating days, and convinced neither is going to change, I think your time would be better spent elsewhere, where you CAN make a positive difference!

Send him to me if you want. I have studied Islam, including under one Sunni Islamic Sheikh. I know what they believe, their source, their arguments and how to refute them. You can give him my email or we can set up a debate on paltalk.

It’s an Islamic website forum. Here is the thread below. My avatar name is John Paul. He’s all yours, I pray the Holy Spirit will bestow his grace and blessing upon you.

gawaher.com/forum/182-refuting-non-muslims/

As for me, Muslims who quote the Bible already lost their case. Simply because the Qur’an doesn’t use any Bible,verse.

MJ

I totally agree…but why are there so many academic debates out there between Christians and Muslims? What is the goal of these debates?

Maybe you can see it from a point of giving explanation about Christianity. That would be an opportunity to clarify their misconception and wrong Bible exegesis. This in itself is good reason for you to debate with him.

It is difficult not to get irritated by a poster’s behavior especially if he is purposely doing it but do not under estimate the power of truth. If you are saying the truth and sincere about it you know that you are trying your best already. It does not necessary lead to conversion, far from it but as it says, you are planting a seed which will be waiting for an opportunity to grow at the right time and moment in one’s lifetime, if at all.

You should only debate Muslims (imo) to see if they can provide a reasonable response to your objections, and then let the readers decide who sounds more reasonable.

Many ignorant Christians will poorly quote the Qur’an out of context and look foolish, but there are questions we can ask that Muslims can’t answer.

The Qur’an is very ambiguous about certain characters and no doubt it says you may strike your wives if they are disobedient. Now, some aplogists may say that she has to be really really bad to strike her, and you can only strike her lightly; like with a toothbrush.

Now, does that explanation strike you as a solid one by being just a random reader?

Also, why did the Jews want to kill Jesus if He was simply preaching Monotheism to the Jews. Is there any history as to why they tried to crucify Him? Why does the Qur’an say the Disciples of Jesus who believed His message became dominant when we know that Christianity became dominant?

Now, someone could try to explain away these objections as best as they can, but from a non-bias onlooker there’s not one good answer. I could always provide more; just keep in mind that Islam ignores history and we know for certain that Jesus most certainly did die on that cross. If every historian can admit this simple fact about Jesus even while not believing anything else about Him, then why do Muslims not believe it? Well, the text says Allah made it appear that way, thus starting the largest Religion in the world.

I do not know IMO…both sides want to win. I subscribe to the St. Fancis approach…“preach the gospel, and if necessary use words”. The actions of many do not reflect their stated beliefs.

This speaks to the whole point of eccumanism…if the point is just to understand the other side rather than to convert, it seems like a big waste of time.

For three reasons:

1. The Holy Spirit works through the Christian during these debates. The apostle Paul used to take part in these kinds of debates and he would prove from the scriptures that Jesus was the promised Messiah.

2. The Holy Spirit works in accordance with our free will. One can reject the Holy Spirit if they so choose. One can also listen to the Holy Spirit if they so choose.

3. To defend the Christian position and strengthen the faith of our fellow Christians.

How many Catholics actually debate with Muslims? I think non-Apostolic Christians seem to the most of the majority. Anyone can correct me…im not really sure.

I think most Bible only Christians spend more time debating.

MJ

William Lane Craig is a boss.

But Robert Spencer (Catholic) does a great job too. :slight_smile:

That’s one Catholic. WLG meanwhile is a non-Apostolic Christian. Any more Catholic debaters?

MJ

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.