"Christian Prayer" book

I just bought the book “Christian Prayer”. I’ve seen some resources on the internet say that this book does not include the office of readings, yet the book I have has the office of readings in the back. Are there different versions of the office of readings?

Let me also say; no wonder priests spend many, many years in seminary; it’d take me a 4 year degree just to figure this book out! VERY confusing. I’m going through a dry spell with my spiritual life, but the dryness is turning into frustration.

:mad:

You need a more vivid book, then. What kind of teaching or reading experience are you looking for?

Not that I’m any kind of expert on Catholic books :(. I only converted to Catholicism within the last year, and only have had time to read a handful of Catholic books so far. But maybe I could think of something.

Catholic Answers actually has a lot of books it recommends, for a broad variety of different kinds of reading interests/needs.

First get the St. Joseph Guide to Christian Prayer. All it will do is tell you what pages to begin on which days. Even advanced, long time daily office prayers MUST have this guide. It is a small thing and I keep it inside the cover of my Christian Prayer.

Second find yourself a nun whose order prays the Office daily, or a near by covent/monastery that allows lay people to join them for the office.

If that doesn’t work, or even if it does, get the Divine Office for Do-Do’s. It is thorough and explicit.

The Office is wonderful for periods of spiritual dryness, because when you don’t feel like praying, just read the prayers/Psalms in the Office it may take a while, but it will jump start your prayer life again.

Hey!

Okay, so the Christian prayer book is very hard to learn. I probably had a dozen or so seminarians, priests, and Sisters show me how to do it. I am just now getting the hang of it. The Christian prayer book does have a shorter version of the office of readings. In the larger version it has the office of readings by day. I am not sure if I can help via the internet but if you have any questions I will try to help. Also, I am still getting the hang of it. :slight_smile:

Edited to add:
I forgot to say that the site that says there is no Office of Readings in the Christian prayer book is wrong. As to different versions I would say it is more about the English translations which vary from very liberal to more conservative translation versions.

All you have to do for now to get you into the rhythm of the prayers is use the online **Guide to Christian prayer ** which gives the pages that one uses to pray for each day.

stfrancisdesales.com/prayer.php

So relax and breathe in and breathe out. :D:hug1: You will be ok.

The link for the **Guide to Christian prayer above goes week by week but this should be enough to help you familiarize yourself. As you know you have Morning, Evening, Night and the Office **(which can be prayed any time of the day). The Liturgical year of prayer goes according to the Christian seasons (ex. Advent, Christmas, Lent, Easter…etc), **Memorial Days, Solemnity **(ex. Saints), **Feast day **(ex. Baptism of the Lord) and then you have the prayers for “Ordinary Time” in between seasons.

Start with Evening prayer first to get your feet wet in this kind of prayer life:

1ST pray: God come to my assistance, Lord make haste to help me (You pray this since it is evening…in the first morning hour prayer you would first pray the invitatory psalm then continue on). Then pray the “Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit as it was in the beginning is now and will be forever. Amen”

2ND: Hymn (Optional)
3RD: 2 Psalms, NT Canticle w/ Antiphons
4TH: Reading
5TH: Responsory
6TH: Canticle of Mary (Magnificat)- “My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord,…” w/ Antiphon
7TH: Intercessions
8TH: Our Father

• Conclusion: Concluding prayer.“May the Lord bless us, protect us from all evil and bring us to everlasting life. Amen”

That’s a basic outlilne of how it goes. My best to you and don’t hesitate to ask me any questions on Christian prayer. :slight_smile:

I agree this helped me out wonderfully. The St. Joseph’s guide has allowed me to follow along on what I am to pray each day, but also allowed me to understand why certain prayers are prayed at certain times of the day

Tobinator:

Most convents who are faithful to the Office and use Christian Prayer live by the St. Joseph Guide. I know this from experience, but that was before my candidacy was cut short because I am negative and have no compassion :eek:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.