Christian Prayer Liturgy of the Hours and the St. Joseph Guide

My wife got a copy of Christian Prayer Liturgy of the Hours and also a St. Joseph’s Guide however the guide page references are off from what should be read (I.e. Wednesday after Epiphany Until the Baptism of the Lord).

Was the LOH reprinted at some point to make the lage references off?

0 Likes

St. Joseph’s Guide comes in two versions, The one for Liturgy of the Hours and the one for Christian Prayer (Liturgy of the Hours). They are also different every year so you need the one for 2019. If the Christian prayer you got was sitting on the shelf for a while, it might have an old guide with it.

Patrick
AMDG

2 Likes

My wife has the NEW 2018 St. Joseph’s Guide for Christian Prayer however the actual LOH may be old. My question was asking if the actual Christian Prayer (LOH) was updated or republished a bit differently over the years.

0 Likes

The answer is no. Christian Prayer has not been re-formatted and page numbers remain the same.

Your St. Joseph Guide must match the year (I presume your 2018 above is a typo and you meant 2019), and must match the edition (Christian Prayer, Christian Prayer Large Print, Liturgy of the Hours).

If you can confirm all that then there are two possibilities: there is a typo in the Guide, or you may be misinterpreting something.

1 Like

I have the single volume Christian Prayer book and the accompanying St. Joseph guide for 2019. The guide is correct for today through Sunday.

Make sure you guide is the correct year and the correct edition number (mine is 406).

2 Likes

I will have to check the edition number. Just curious, how would one know what Guide edition one needs?

0 Likes

If you just bought it, it should be 406. You will find the edition number on the title page. For the guide it should say no. 406 on the cover.

(Unless you have the large print version which is 407 and requires the 407 version of the SJ guide.)

0 Likes

Also I have the large print “Christian Prayer” so I had to get the guide to match that particular edition.

0 Likes

My copy of Christian Prayer: The Liturgy of the Hours is so old that I have a Pauline guide, and the years stop with 2008, so usually I wind up going to Universalis every Advent and checking the correct US calendar and the upcoming year dates ahead for the feasts, etc. (So for right now I’m good with Wed after Epiphany and Psalter Week 2).

0 Likes

Ir says For use with Edition No. 406 but also has No. 406/G below.

0 Likes

The 406 is the important part. So long as you CP book is also a 406. The pages are correct.

0 Likes

How ca. I tell if my CP is 406? Is it listed somewhere in or on it?

0 Likes

Here is a picture:

0 Likes

Thank you. I’d take a photo of mine, but " new users" can’t attach photos. Can you also take a photo of the cover?

0 Likes

Christian Prayer: The Liturgy of the Hours https://www.amazon.com/dp/0899424066/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_3jZnCbRM7JGPW

The cover is simple and plain. Here is the amazon entry.

0 Likes

And what does the St. Joseph Guide say for the days in question?

0 Likes

It looks like you’ve got the shorter one volume Liturgy of the Hours. Does your St Joseph guide mention volume 1, II, III & IV throughout the year. If so, then that’s not the right guide for your version and it’s for the full 4-volume set

0 Likes

Yes, this is the single volume book. The OP also claims to have the single volume book. My guide is correct.

Perhaps you meant to reply to the OP?

0 Likes

closed #19

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

0 Likes

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.